Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Hire A.J. Hinch As New Tigers Manager and New Coaches

I'm saying that I think all of those things are equal to someone gambling.

One is where a person violates the rule themselves. The other is where someone knows of others violating the rules. I don't think they are the same at all.

One is where a person violates the rule themselves. The other is where someone knows of others violating the rules. I don't think they are the same at all.

In this case (as in many) I think the person in charge who turns a blind eye is as guilty as the perpetrators. It was a systemic problem throughout his clubhouse...the clubhouse that he was in charge of. I think MLB agrees, since the manager and GM were punished and the players that actually cheated were not.

Hinch was punished for his indiscretions. That punishment has been served. There is zero possibility of the same indiscretions repeating in Detroit. The matter is closed and I’m not looking back.

Hinch was punished for his indiscretions. That punishment has been served. There is zero possibility of the same indiscretions repeating in Detroit. The matter is closed and I?m not looking back.

I agree. I'm not even that outraged over the entire scandal, with betting on baseball, or PEDs. My recent points with all of this aren't the "crimes" but the hypocrisy of baseball's punishment.

I actually like the hire...he's by far the best candidate that the Tigers could hire because of his past. If he were to have quit a year ago vs. being fired and suspended he probably wouldn't have even answered Al's phone call.

Hinch was punished for his indiscretions. That punishment has been served. There is zero possibility of the same indiscretions repeating in Detroit. The matter is closed and I?m not looking back.

Unless the players ever wanna get him fired lol

All the cheating with pine tar spitballs etc. the players are trying to get an edge to WIN.
The gambling situations are the players like Rose or Joe Jackson were betting against their teams.

All the cheating with pine tar spitballs etc. the players are trying to get an edge to WIN.
The gambling situations are the players like Rose or Joe Jackson were betting against their teams.

iirc, Pete Rose never bet against the Reds

Hinch, himself, did not cheat. What he didn't do, was to prevent his players from cheating after he knew about. The second part is what got him suspended. He even went as far as to wreck the monitor on at least two occasions. However, he admitted that he did not stop the practice or explicitly let it be known that he disapproved of it.

Not even in the same hemisphere to what Rose did.
Guy robs a gas station, friend driving didn't but he knew about it - both guilty.

His team was winning so he decided to not say anything. He's just as guilty. I don't see how this is less bad than what Rose did.

How many MLB managers and executives in the 90s and 00s were aware that their players were using HGH? All of them. What did they do about it? Nothing.

So I accept the Hinch hiring and hope for the best.
When I was a child I always learned two wrongs don't make a right.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...hinch-not-fan-scripted-game-plans/6101474002/
Manage in the moment: Tigers' new skipper Hinch not a fan of scripted game plans.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...manager-aj-hinch-justin-verlander/6087407002/
What we learned from Detroit Tigers manager AJ Hinch: A Justin Verlander return in 2022?
Freep

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...-scotty-bowman-christopher-ilitch/6091084002/
AJ Hinch is Detroit Tigers' Scotty Bowman, Ilitch says: Hired to win it all.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2020/1...-hinch-spent-his-year-away-from-baseball.html
How new Tigers manager A.J. Hinch spent his year away from baseball.
Mlive

https://motorcitybengals.com/2020/10/31/detroit-tigers-aj-hinch-hiring-ilitch/
Detroit Tigers: AJ Hinch Hiring Puts Onus on Ilitch.
MCBTB

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2020/10/31/question-of-the-week-75/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK.
Totally Tigers

It?s time again to hear from our readers! Today is the day to let us know what you?re thinking on a selected topic.
Sunday is the one day of the week where we open up the comment parameters for you so you can get those juices flowing.
Comments on THIS DAY ONLY can be expanded to a maximum of 8 sentences.
We can?t wait to get your thoughts on the following topic.

After signing a 3-year deal with the Tigers to become their next manager, A.J. Hinch had this to say about the importance of his coaching staff:
?I really believe building a coaching staff is an enormous task and a huge priority,? he said. ?And I will start immediately. You can imagine how many people have reached out to me in the last 24 hours.?
Does this statement lead you to believe that Hinch will have free rein in hiring his staff, unlike Ron Gardenhire? Explain.

Guy robs a gas station, friend driving didn't but he knew about it - both guilty.

His team was winning so he decided to not say anything. He's just as guilty. I don't see how this is less bad than what Rose did.

Severity of the crime. Accessory/Aiding and Abetting in your example. Normally, accessories get half the fine/prison time as the primary. So it isn't the same thing.

Your analogies aren't equal to what is going on.

In NASCAR, race teams and crew chiefs are constantly being caught for "rules violations", especially winning teams/crew chiefs. This is not equal in magnitude to betting on baseball, because not every player/manager is going it. Completive edge for the team versus personal financial gain. Not even the same.

Last edited:
Severity of the crime. Accessory/Aiding and Abetting in your example. Normally, accessories get half the fine/prison time as the primary. So it isn't the same thing.

Your analogies aren't equal to what is going on.

In NASCAR, race teams and crew chiefs are constantly being caught for "rules violations", especially winning teams/crew chiefs. This is not equal in magnitude to betting on baseball, because not every player/manager is going it. Completive edge for the team versus personal financial gain. Not even the same.

Lets say it is half Rose was banned now for 31 years so .. well you get the idea. And complicity, depending on states and of course the crime, can get the same sentence. Getaway driver, lookout - burglary or murder. No distinction.
And I would not call it competitive edge but but down right cheating. Goes against fair play - or the good of the game (like Rose).

Imo Rose never got restated because he kept lying about it or if told the truth right away might not have been been. Hinch for example never told the truth. He just got caught. And the fact that bugs me about all these people "If I would have just done more." You didn't do anything. Just like Verlander and all the others.

When I was a child I always learned two wrongs don't make a right.

None of the managers, owners, or execs were punished for knowing about HGH. Hinch was punished for knowing about the cheating. You may think the penalty was insufficient. So, there was a reckoning for what Hinch (didn?t) do.

None of the managers, owners, or execs were punished for knowing about HGH. Hinch was punished for knowing about the cheating. You may think the penalty was insufficient. So, there was a reckoning for what Hinch (didn?t) do.

Then suspend them too. I'm not for HGH, corked batting or anything else that effects games. There should be some variance degree of punishment and I'm not saying Hinch's year wasn't enough. I just rather not have him and I believe Rose's was too much.

It's a good hire. He served his time. He was remorseful.. best candidate out there . I hope he can hire his own staff.

Back