Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trump wins, but...

I just don't agree with one vote having more value than another. And that's what happens now because the number of electoral votes that a state is given isn't directly proportional to population. Take Alaska and Michigan for example. Alaska had 3 electoral votes with a population of 686,293, for an average of 228,764 voters per elector. Michigan had 17 votes with 10,003,422 voters, for an average of 588,436. So an individual vote in Alaska had over twice the impact as a vote in Michigan.

And if we're going back to the founding fathers, it was originally set up that the vast majority of states would just let legislatures pick whoever they want. States didn't all start using popular vote until after the civil war. So it's already been bastardized.

And then, what's the point anyway? Is there going to be any real impact once an election is all said and done? Is Alaska going to benefit in any way since Trump got their 3 electoral votes? Sure, a small state may get more stump speeches and political ads, but that's more a negative than anything. The psychological gains of residents in a few particular swing states feeling they are important are at least equaled out by the California scenario that monster points out. And the only real outcome is that some people have more say than others, when the original intention was that the general populous shouldn't really have a direct say at all.

the founding fathers specifically granted certain powers to the states. States choosing their representation by popular vote is an evolution from that, not a bastardization.

Last edited:
So what would have happened if she won like this and Trump won the popular vote? Holy cow it would be chaos is my guess.

Did you know when it (the electoral college) was first proposed, Thomas Jefferson described it as "the electoral gayness" because he felt it was a totally gay idea?

That from a guy who wore a wig in the oval office every day for eight years.

Trump and Obama just met and they were mugging together for the cameras afterward. Word is Trump wanted to tell Obama "you're fired" but KellyAnn Conway told Trump before the show that Trump can't technically fire a president who is already term limited out anyway.

Non-cities play a critical role in the strength of our nation. Census says 80% of us live in urban areas. It really makes no sense to have no representation motivated to benefit our rural areas directly. People don't think, "we depend on them, let's send them subsidies in years of overproduction so they maintain capacity that we might need if next year is bad". People think, "screw them, give me my money."

That's what local and state elections are for.

Or the people saying it now would say nothing, no disrespect to Monster.

Not true at all. The candidate with the most votes should be the winner regardless of party. I'm not bias and pride myself on seeing the big picture without blue tinted glasses. I've called my side out many times for bullshit when I see it. Hell, I've sided with well meaning conservatives quite a bit in the last year.

I can't speak for others, though. Don't get me wrong, I accept Trump's win. I just don't think the voting system is set up well.

So what would have happened if she won like this and Trump won the popular vote? Holy cow it would be chaos is my guess.

Not like it's been any better now. Those protests were ridiculous.

Not true at all. The candidate with the most votes should be the winner regardless of party. I'm not bias and pride myself on seeing the big picture without blue tinted glasses. I've called my side out many times for bullshit when I see it. Hell, I've sided with well meaning conservatives quite a bit in the last year.

I can't speak for others, though. Don't get me wrong, I accept Trump's win. I just don't think the voting system is set up well.

I understand your point of view. Just responding to Bob. Regardless of weather people would want popular vote or status quo I believe it wouldn't change regardless who won.

I don't think this is a left or right thing..

The thing of it is, is, the system was set up over 200 years ago the way it was set up for a particular reason...and regardless whether some think the system is antiquated, it's set up in such a way that it's ostensibly impossible to be changed...and that's just the way it is...

Exactly. You'd see complaint either way.

Another aspect of this how we'd become so much more urban over the last couple hundred years. It's impressive how balanced our system has stayed given the dramatic changes. It's really a great system.

I understand your point of view. Just responding to Bob. Regardless of weather people would want popular vote or status quo I believe it wouldn't change regardless who won.

I don't think this is a left or right thing..

I agree. It shouldnt be.

That's what local and state elections are for.

We pump a lot of money from urban areas to rural areas. It wouldn't happen through local elections. But parts of our country would really, really suck if we didn't do it that way. To the point where overall, we'd be weaker as a nation.

That's not even the big part of the way the system is skewed. The real equalizer (or unequalizer) is the Senate.

Fifth time in 45 elections that the EC vote has not reflected the popular vote.

Exactly. You'd see complaint either way.

Another aspect of this how we'd become so much more urban over the last couple hundred years. It's impressive how balanced our system has stayed given the dramatic changes. It's really a great system.

i'm pretty sure he's not saying you would see the complaint either way. It's pretty clear he thinks it would be all out chaos if the situation were reversed.

Back