Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ukraine

I feel like when this war ends Russia is going to find it very difficult to do business again.

Exxon exits Russia empty-handed with oil project 'unilaterally terminated'

HOUSTON, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) said on Monday that it left Russia completely after President Vladimir Putin expropriated its properties following seven months of discussions over an orderly transfer of its 30% stake in a major oil project.

Exxon did not say if it received any compensation for the assets, which it had valued at more than $4 billion. An Exxon spokesperson declined to comment on whether it will proceed to contest the seizure through an international arbitration process, a possibility flagged in August.

Its departure illustrates the clash between the West and Russia over energy following Moscow's invasion of Ukraine in late February and threats of using nuclear weapons against the country and its supporters. BP, TotalEnergies, Equinor, and Shell have all transferred properties to Russian partners or left operations behind.

The company said it "safely exited" Russia after the government earlier this month "unilaterally terminated" its interests in the Sakhalin-1 oil and gas project, its largest in the country.

Exxon has been trying to relinquish operation of Sakhalin-1 since March 1, when it announced it would abandon all of its more than $4 billion in assets, leaving open the possibility to sell Sakhalin-1. It said it would "closely coordinate" the transfer of operation with its partners - Russian company Rosneft (ROSN.MM), India's ONGC Videsh (ONVI.NS) and Japan's SODECO to ensure it would be done in a secure way.

SCMP's write up of the Russian partial mobilization & what it means.

It provides a lot more context than local-NATO-member media articles I've seen. For example, Ukraine launched a similar mobilization before the Russian invasion (two days before), and has done three more since then, including it's general draft of all males 18-60

What?s the point? Are you surprised that a country with a much smaller military called up reserves when their lunatic dictator neighbor was amassing a huge force on its border? Or is the real shocker that they brought in more conscripts to defend their country after that lunatic invaded? That?s some really helpful context.

Last edited:
What?s the point? Are you surprised that a country with a much smaller military called up reserves when their lunatic dictator neighbor was amassing a huge force on its border? Or is the real shocker that they brought in more conscripts to defend their country after that lunatic invaded? That?s some really helpful context.

I read the linked to article in the South China Morning Post in the original Chinese characters. Not everybody knows this, but while pronunciations of the Mandarin and Cantonese dialects are so different that they?re literally two different languages, the written characters are identical.

Anyways, pretty much all I have to say is that a lot of the nuance and subtext is lost in the translation to English.

Also when it?s morning in South China it?s nightfall here in the States.

So there?s that.

I read the linked to article in the South China Morning Post in the original Chinese characters. Not everybody knows this, but while pronunciations of the Mandarin and Cantonese dialects are so different that they?re literally two different languages, the written characters are identical.

Anyways, pretty much all I have to say is that a lot of the nuance and subtext is lost in the translation to English.

Also when it?s morning in South China it?s nightfall here in the States.

So there?s that.

That's helpful to know. Which do you recommend I get, the Mandarin or Cantonese Rosetta Stone? I don't want to put the burden on you to provide the subtext of any future South China Morning Post articles posted here.

Last edited:
That's helpful to know. Which do you recommend I get, the Mandarin or Cantonese Rosetta Stone? I don't want to put the burden on you to provide the subtext of any future South China Morning Post articles posted here.

Both.

Neither.

See what I did there?

That?s some kind of ?grasp the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper? shit right there, right?

Neither the Rosetta Stone Cantonese nor Mandarin language disks will teach you how to read them Japanese characters.

She me would call it ?Kabuki theater.?

Last edited:
Both.

Neither.

See what I did there?

That?s some kind of ?grasp the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper? shit right there, right?

Neither the Rosetta Stone Cantonese nor Mandarin language disks will teach you how to read them Japanese characters.

She me would call it ?Kabuki theater.?

I have no idea where that stone went. But it's not 1997 - unless you find them at a garage sale there probably aren't any discs with Mandarin, Cantonese or Japanese (are garage sales legal in California? can you do them without incorporating, joining a union, making your house ADA compliant, doing a light audit to retrofit your facility with the proper LED, switches & timers, etc).

Last edited:
I have no idea where that stone went. But it's not 1997 - unless you find them at a garage sale there probably aren't any discs with Mandarin, Cantonese or Japanese (are garage sales legal in California? can you do them without incorporating, joining a union, making your house ADA compliant, doing a light audit to retrofit your facility with the proper LED, switches & timers, etc).

Oh, man.

Did I write that shit in the middle of the night?

Anyways, if you read the South China Morning Star, or the South China Dawn Comes Up Like Thunder, or whatever it is, in the original Japanese characters, you?ll learn the truth that you won?t learn reading the NATO Alliance ?freedom and liberty? directed by Joe Biden conservative media propagandistic bullshit, - that it was the Ukraine (led by those Ukraine girls who really knock me out, but they don?t leave the west behind) who invaded Russia - not the other way around.

Oh, man.

Did I write that shit in the middle of the night?

Anyways, if you read the South China Morning Star, or the South China Dawn Comes Up Like Thunder, or whatever it is, in the original Japanese characters, you?ll learn the truth that you won?t learn reading the NATO Alliance ?freedom and liberty? directed by Joe Biden conservative media propagandistic bullshit, - that it was the Ukraine (led by those Ukraine girls who really knock me out, but they don?t leave the west behind) who invaded Russia - not the other way around.

and that it's all the United States' fault...

Last edited:
I might have to eat some crow on this one. I was pretty vocal about my displeasure of sending so much money/equipment to Ukraine but this is slowly turning out to be a solid investment.

$120 billion to destabilize a geo political rival in Russia as opposed to the nothing burger that $1 trillion got us in Iraq/Afghanistan? Kind of a no brainer.

Rebel Russian mercenaries will turn back to avoid bloodshed, leader says

ROSTOV-ON-DON/VORONEZH, Russia, June 24 (Reuters) - Mutinous Russian mercenary fighters who surged most of the way to Moscow have agreed to turn back to avoid bloodshed, their leader said on Saturday, in a de-escalation of what had become a major challenge to President Vladimir Putin's grip on power.

The fighters of the Wagner private army run by former Putin ally Yevgeny Prigozhin were already most of the way to the capital, having captured the city of Rostov and set off on an 1,100 km (680 mile) race to Moscow.

In an audio message, Prigozhin said the fighters would return to base because of the risk of blood being spilled.

A deal to halt further movement of Wagner fighters across Russia in return for guarantees of safety for the rebels was brokered by Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, his office said.

Earlier, Prigozhin said his men were on a "march for justice" to remove corrupt and incompetent Russian commanders he blames for botching the war in Ukraine.

In a televised address from the Kremlin, Putin said Russia's very existence was under threat.

I might have to eat some crow on this one. I was pretty vocal about my displeasure of sending so much money/equipment to Ukraine but this is slowly turning out to be a solid investment.

$120 billion to destabilize a geo political rival in Russia as opposed to the nothing burger that $1 trillion got us in Iraq/Afghanistan? Kind of a no brainer.

I?ve had definite mixed thoughts.

We?ll see.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cjVhUrmII&pp=ygUgY2hhcmxpZSB3aWxzb24gd2FyIHdlIHNoYWxsIHNlZSA=

if you believe anything the US media says about foreign policy, you'd be on a losing streak going back more than 20 years, at least.

and the reporting for this current conflict is even more slanted and removed from the reality on the ground than usual

if you believe anything the US media says about foreign policy, you'd be on a losing streak going back more than 20 years, at least.

and the reporting for this current conflict is even more slanted and removed from the reality on the ground than usual

I'm thinking 120 years. JMHO.

Hey, MC: John Kerry said on French media recently that the Iraq war wasn't a "war of aggression." What a Boof.

You'd think he'd be decrying war for the safety of the climate.

Last edited:
Back