Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander traded to Houston, TJ Surgery, Wins 2 WS, Wins 3rd Cy Young Now a Met

Why I say a big gigantic FU to Chris Ilitch and Al Avila.

Turned out to be one of the most one-sided trades ever...happy for JV, but not we Tigers fans. Plus its like they are still paying for a SP whose salary is mid-roto SP-worthy, but who never is in it. That is utterly unforgivable.

Last edited:
Turned out to be one of the most one-sided trades ever...happy for JV, but not we Tigers fans. Plus its like they are still paying for a SP whose salary is mid-roto SP-worthy, but who never is in it. That is utterly unforgivable.

we won't know if the trade was one-sided for about 5 years.

we won't know if the trade was one-sided for about 5 years.

So paying a third of Verlander's salary this year and next doesn't enter into it, and not taking into consideration that he was largely responsible for the Astros' run to the WS and his contributions to winning it last year? JV also has to be in the running for being chosen to pitch in this season's ASG, and is in the conversation for AL Cy Young honors.

That has to erase a couple of years from the production potential of one of the three prospects traded for...IF all 3 make it to the bigs, one who could make the team as at least a 4th OFer with above average speed and defense, but projects as hitting for a mediocre average and power, or another who is a projected backup catcher, or 2 years of an arb-eligible projected mid-rotation SP in Perez' case.

So paying a third of Verlander's salary this year and next doesn't enter into it, and not taking into consideration that he was largely responsible for the Astros' run to the WS and his contributions to winning it last year? JV also has to be in the running for being chosen to pitch in this season's ASG, and is in the conversation for AL Cy Young honors.

That has to erase a couple of years from the production potential of one of the three prospects traded for...IF all 3 make it to the bigs, one who could make the team as at least a 4th OFer with above average speed and defense, but projects as hitting for a mediocre average and power, or another who is a projected backup catcher, or 2 years of an arb-eligible projected mid-rotation SP in Perez' case.

you never know what is going to happen. Remember the Doyle Alexander trade? In 1987 everyone thought that was a lopsided trade in the Tigers favor. It's going to take 4-5 years to figure out if this was a good or a bad trade.

you never know what is going to happen. Remember the Doyle Alexander trade? In 1987 everyone thought that was a lopsided trade in the Tigers favor. It's going to take 4-5 years to figure out if this was a good or a bad trade.

First, Alexander was a 36-yr old "crafty" veteran pitcher. He was not an ACE or even a #2. He was signed in May of 1987 by the Braves and they were probably thrilled to get a young 20-year old minor league. Absolutely a nothing for nothing trade at the time. Keep in mind, Smoltz was walking almost 6 guys a game in AA and wasn't really striking anyone out. Most baseball people were not citing this was a bad trade for either team.

Verlander trade is an entirely different circumstance. And while I will agree you cannot forecast prospect development, the fact DET did not get immediate major league ready talent in return is part of the failure of this trade. There were other top pitchers in the recent years traded, and almost all the others included MLB ready players/prospects in return (akin to someone like Candelario).

Last edited:
All I know is Doyle Alexander wasn't near the same vs Minny in the playoffs. Nor the next two seasons..

Last edited:
I'm still happy as heck for JV. I knew he was a special all time player, and I'm just glad to see he's rediscovered that dominance he has in him. I was starting to feel like the last few years of his career would be derailed by injuries and subpar performances on the mound.

I'm still happy as heck for JV. I knew he was a special all time player, and I'm just glad to see he's rediscovered that dominance he has in him. I was starting to feel like the last few years of his career would be derailed by injuries and subpar performances on the mound.

Well..from reading a couple of Verlander's recent tweets, he has wasted no time in fully embracing the new city whose AL team he pitches for...including rooting for Houston's NBA team in the Rockets during the playoffs. I admittedly don't know if Justin had ever rooted for the Pistons, Red Wings, and/or Lions while he still was a Tiger, however.

Well..from reading a couple of Verlander's recent tweets, he has wasted no time in fully embracing the new city whose AL team he pitches for...including rooting for Houston's NBA team in the Rockets during the playoffs. I admittedly don't know if Justin had ever rooted for the Pistons, Red Wings, and/or Lions while he still was a Tiger, however.

I vaguely remember a pic or three of him at one of the home games of the other Detroit sports teams wearing a jersey and or cap.

Well...

he married a chick from Michigan...

...so...that counts...I guess?

She is one of the hottest babes on the planet?

Well...

he married a chick from Michigan...

...so...that counts...I guess?

She is one of the hottest babes on the planet…

Yeah....after he dumped his HS sweetheart fiancee.

Bigger the celebrity...hotter the trophy bride/wife.

IIRC, she was the aggressive one who set her sights on him, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Yeah....after he dumped his HS sweetheart fiancee.

Bigger the celebrity...hotter the trophy bride/wife.

This is a good time for me to post something to you that I have been thinking about. You have complained that I have been particularly harsh with you and you are right. I have been a little bit more harsh to you then I should have been.

I have thought about it and I realized why-you are just always so negative.

This is a good time for me to post something to you that I have been thinking about. You have complained that I have been particularly harsh with you and you are right. I have been a little bit more harsh to you then I should have been.

I have thought about it and I realized why-you are just always so negative.

I recall the larger number of members who formerly had frequently posted on DSF, but no longer do. Seems to me that I remember some giving a reason why before they left, and it wasn't b/c they were bored. There are a few who still lurk here on occasion, but don't post. This forum has become way too unpopulated for me to be all that concerned about what a couple of mods think.

Last edited:
Back