Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Welcome to MSU Jayru Campbell

my, you're a slippery fellow to argue with!

every time one of your claims is refuted, you post that it wasn't what you were saying, and change your tune in the next one.

like trying to nail jell-o to a wall.

does MSU have a debate program? I'm really impressed.

you can buy a set of anti Michigan flash cards on amazon, I go through them once at night and again in the morning.

Couple things on Campbell.....

Some talk earlier of him and a comment that he was a dual threat QB, and someone corrected that comment that he was really more of a drop back passer. That was true. More of a drop back passer. That is until this 2013 season where he further developed his passing abilities as well as became a threat with his feet and speed with a bigger, bulkier stronger now 16 year old frame. He'll still be only 17 when he plays his senior season at CT next year.

Another development has been that he has some disciplinary issues whereby he was benched at the start of a couple playoff games, and in frustration after a loss in the playoffs, he actually sucker punched an opponent in the handshake line.

You don't see the punch in this video (at 40 second mark) but the behavior following the punch is alarming, even for a high school kid. He had an in-game skirmish with a kid late in the 2nd quarter, and went after the same kid during handshakes. What you then see is the degree to which he then had to be restrained by teammates and coaches.

He was suspended from school for a few days, and from the season opener next year.

I hope Coach D has a pulse on this. I know that Blackwell does.

watch

two things I noticed...
1. you weren't kidding about the "degree to which he had to be restrained" ... kid could be Terrelle Pryor version 2.0, which is okay in ohio, but I doubt he's going to get away with that in East Lansing.

2. jesus, CC has a lot of kids on their football team. Campbell has been on the ground for like a minute, and they're only halfway through the handshake line, with more blue jerseys waiting...

two things I noticed...
1. you weren't kidding about the "degree to which he had to be restrained" ... kid could be Terrelle Pryor version 2.0, which is okay in ohio, but I doubt he's going to get away with that in East Lansing.

2. jesus, CC has a lot of kids on their football team. Campbell has been on the ground for like a minute, and they're only halfway through the handshake line, with more blue jerseys waiting...

Yep. CC had about 80 kids on Varsity, and brought up some JV players for the playoffs.

Cass Tech had ~65 kids maybe.

I heard and read about this but it's the first video i've seen. we can't have that kind of behavior, interesting to see how MD handles this, I think Campbell is a quality kid from what I understand but we can't have another Glen Winston.

there was a rumor on Rivals that his dad tried to go to the game but was removed from the field before the game started. Campbell's dad spent time in jail and was released when he was in middle school, he comes from a really bad neighborhood, he sometimes goes to coach wilchers house just to watch tv or do yardwork just to leave his neighborhood. not an excuse for punching someone but this kid goes through things we can't understand. hopefully he makes the most of his opportunity

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...yru-campbell-embodies-challenges-hope-detroit

I heard and read about this but it's the first video i've seen. we can't have that kind of behavior, interesting to see how MD handles this, I think Campbell is a quality kid from what I understand but we can't have another Glen Winston.

there was a rumor on Rivals that his dad tried to go to the game but was removed from the field before the game started. Campbell's dad spent time in jail and was released when he was in middle school, he comes from a really bad neighborhood, he sometimes goes to coach wilchers house just to watch tv or do yardwork just to leave his neighborhood. not an excuse for punching someone but this kid goes through things we can't understand. hopefully he makes the most of his opportunity

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...yru-campbell-embodies-challenges-hope-detroit

Jayru got on Twitter later that day saying "We took a L and my pops got locked up, this day can't get no worse".

Frustrated kid. Lots of eyes and pressure on him, particularly for still being 16. But the post game behavior is unacceptable.

Dantonio and co should be looking at Alex Malzone from Brother Rice.

Jayru got on Twitter later that day saying "We took a L and my pops got locked up, this day can't get no worse".

Frustrated kid. Lots of eyes and pressure on him, particularly for still being 16. But the post game behavior is unacceptable.

Dantonio and co should be looking at Alex Malzone from Brother Rice.

I thought something like that happened, that kind of stuff can't continue, hopefully he learns and grows. I can't attempt to understand what his life is like though, tragic really. let's hope he doesn't waste his opportunity, not for MSU's sake but for his.

I thought something like that happened, that kind of stuff can't continue, hopefully he learns and grows. I can't attempt to understand what his life is like though, tragic really. let's hope he doesn't waste his opportunity, not for MSU's sake but for his.

Spot on. I'm not assuming he's on his way to some tragic situation because of this singular noted incident. But certainly his life and personal success is more important than his success on the football field at MSU.

Wow his behavior is unacceptable..that's the second time within 2 months he's been involved in a fight.
With damion terry and cook we're set at QB, hopefully Dantonio pulls the offer.

Its sad to see a kid with so much potential and he has worked very hard to get where he is only to make some mistakes and flush everything down the toilet, Lets hope he gets some help before he ends up blwoing everything

Wow his behavior is unacceptable..that's the second time within 2 months he's been involved in a fight.
With damion terry and cook we're set at QB, hopefully Dantonio pulls the offer.

Sounds like they already have. Kid has some serious issues. Hope he gets the help he needs before he kills someone.

Reportedly his ship has already been pulled.

Dodged a bullet with Campbell, better it happened 1-1/2 years before he sets foot on campus. This is not the kid you want on your team, much less leading your team as the QB.

You know, he screwed up bad, but he'll land on his feet, he'll have a misdemeanor assault charge, but there's plenty of programs out there where they'll take him. Might even end up playing for a contender somewhere, just not at MSU.

That's the chance you take recruiting any high school, most of the kids are great kids, but some of them have some pretty deep problems, we're dealing with inner city Detroit and Cass Tech is the chance to get out for these kids. Most of the kids are good kids, but there are the Boubacar Cissokos and Jayru Campbells as well.

Gave the kid a pass on the punch in the handshake line, that stuff happens all the time, but this was inexcusable.

Last edited:
Reportedly his ship has already been pulled.

Dodged a bullet with Campbell, better it happened 1-1/2 years before he sets foot on campus. This is not the kid you want on your team, much less leading your team as the QB.

You know, he screwed up bad, but he'll land on his feet, he'll have a misdemeanor assault charge, but there's plenty of programs out there where they'll take him. Might even end up playing for a contender somewhere, just not at MSU.

That's the chance you take recruiting any high school, most of the kids are great kids, but some of them have some pretty deep problems, we're dealing with inner city Detroit and Cass Tech is the chance to get out for these kids. Most of the kids are good kids, but there are the Boubacar Cissokos and Jayru Campbells as well.

Gave the kid a pass on the punch in the handshake line, that stuff happens all the time, but this was inexcusable.

+1. Urban is probably chomping at the bit to snatch him up after we rescind his scholarship.

I hope he can get help... The kid has talent.. He just has a temper he can't control I guess...MSU did the right thing..

as for the handshake line thing, still not an excuse but his dad get arrested that day per his tweet. you still don't punch anyone but that's hard to deal with, especially when his father was in prison until he was about 12

"The way you break the chain of poverty is once you become successful and self-sufficient to help others, it's your duty to come back to the same neighborhood and help one kid," Campbell said. "If we can get one successful kid from the program to come back and help, it will help us break the chain of poverty and break the chain of not being educated. That's the only thing they owe us, is to come back and help."

Kid has really tried to break the chain, too bad he blew his best chance. Doesn't men it will be his only chance, but it was his last chance with MSU.

Jayru obviously has some problems, maybe he'll be forced to get help dealing with them now.

I don't really feel bad for Jayru though, I feel bad for the security guard, doubt he'll be able to go back to work at Cass Tech without being the target of ridicule, must already be pretty humiliating.

I'm sure Coach Dantonio will be visiting Jayru soon, he'll pull the scholarship officially, but that will not be the end of their relationship. Coach D has a history of trying to help kids who he's cut loose from his football teams. He'll do what's best for the program 1st, but that doesn't mean he's going to turn his back on Jayru entirely.

Back