Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

WikiLeaks revealing how scummy the DNC is

If the outcome of this CTE and concussion research is that the game of football ends up being sissyfied, I'll be ok with it. Just because there's a risk of injury isn't a reason to not do something or to ban people from doing it, but working to understand and minimize those risks is a good thing. If there's ever a way to compete in a tough, physical, hard hitting way, with no risk of injury, then great. But until then, we have to exist in this grey area as best we can. Neither extreme (allowing & encouraging anything people are willing to do for money or a complete ban of all risky or hard hitting sports) is a good idea.

I agree.

If any sport should be banned it should be auto racing. I read that more than 520 people have died in auto racing over the past 25 years. That's over 20 per year. Can you imagine the outrage if that were football?

I would also be fine with boxing making head blows illegal, but continuing to exist as a sport.

The best way to not get punched in the head in boxing is to choose not to box. That's how most people avoid getting punched in boxing; very few people ever set foot in a boxing gym. Typically when one does, they spend hours doing drills preparing to avoid being punched, and once a person is ready to spar, the person starts off With the superior boxer who is skilled enough not to injure the newbie.

Most boxers to rise to the level of having the skills to be a professional prizefighter have risen to that level by learning not to be hit. That said, if somebody thinks boxing is barbaric, that person can just not box, and that person can just not watch boxing either.

Same for MMA, same for auto racing, same for football, same for skydiving, same for paragliding, same for cliff diving.

The best way to not get punched in the head in boxing is to choose not to box. That's how most people avoid getting punched in boxing; very few people ever set foot in a boxing gym. Typically when one does, they spend hours doing drills preparing to avoid being punched, and once a person is ready to spar, the person starts off With the superior boxer who is skilled enough not to injure the newbie.

Most boxers to rise to the level of having the skills to be a professional prizefighter have risen to that level by learning not to be hit. That said, if somebody thinks boxing is barbaric, that person can just not box, and that person can just not watch boxing either.

Same for MMA, same for auto racing, same for football, same for skydiving, same for paragliding, same for cliff diving.

I think it goes too far to put it all on the participant. I don't really see it all that differently than other workplace hazards. We allow a certain amount, but we expect a certain level of safety and an honest representation of the danger to the degree possible. We allow for more risk in certain industries, like entertainment, but some regulation is a good thing.

I think it goes too far to put it all on the participant. I don't really see it all that differently than other workplace hazards. We allow a certain amount, but we expect a certain level of safety and an honest representation of the danger to the degree possible. We allow for more risk in certain industries, like entertainment, but some regulation is a good thing.

It isn't ALL on the participant with any of those things; there are rules and safety regulations in place for all of them to reduce hazards; that said yes, it's known that there are hazards, and it's on the participant to accept the hazards and participate or reject the hazards and not participate.

It isn't ALL on the participant with any of those things; there are rules and safety regulations in place for all of them to reduce hazards; that said yes, it's known that there are hazards, and it's on the participant to accept the hazards and participate or reject the hazards and not participate.

But our standard change with time. The longer people live on average, the higher the stakes. We're making fewer babies and they're living longer than ever before, so we're less tolerant to losing a few along the way.

Have I missed something? How did this thread get on MMA? Did wikileaks publish a bunch of emails where Hillary got Dana White to fix fights?

Have I missed something? How did this thread get on MMA? Did wikileaks publish a bunch of emails where Hillary got Dana White to fix fights?

It was bound to happen eventually.

C1E21MG.gif

Donald_Trumps_4_most_memorable-abd0b34c6fbefddd985de5fedf36e15c

It's funny that clip....who better to star in something so obviously staged and scripted than americas favorite clown Donald Trump?

actually, he is the opposite of staged and scripted. He doesn't think before he does anything. Hillary...now everything she does is staged and scripted. She is a true politician.

Whoa, whoa...You can kindly fuck off with shit talking UFC and combat sports. I draw the line there. Unless it was a typo and you meant WWF, I'm deeply insulted.
WWE or UFC, either one. I don't there are many of their fans who also read the economist.

WWE or UFC, either one. I don't there are many of their fans who also read the economist.

I wonder if my M.Arch would be revoked if LTU knew I watched combat sports. Please don't tell anyone.

I wonder if my M.Arch would be revoked if LTU knew I watched combat sports. Please don't tell anyone.
There will be anecdotal differences but I'd venture to say that a good percentage of the crowd couldn't name the three branches of government

Back