Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 World Cup

Michchamp

Starts Thursday, June 14 with Russia vs. Saudi Arabia.

The USA failed to qualify for the first time since the 1980's, in case you didn't know, so if you're more nationalistically-minded, you'll want to ignore this WC altogether.

If you're open-minded, a humanist, or just like soccer, maybe pick an underdog like Iceland, and cheer for them. Or our North American buddies, Mexico, or a team full of good guys like Nigeria. kinda bummed Iceland and Nigeria are in the same group, but I hope they both advance.

Germany is currently the odds-on favorite to win, followed by Brazil, France, Spain, and Argentina. No one else faces single-digit odds.

Bummed that Italy crapped out during the qualifications... they're my other favorite team.

I still don't know who to root for.

I never understood the appeal of this tournament. I'm kind of glad the US didn't qualify...I won't have to hear about it on the sports talk shows I listen to in the car.

I don?t understand how people don?t enjoy the World Cup. You?re bringing nations together and the competition itself is great. Soccer is nice because it?s 90 minutes of no commercial breaks except for halftime. Football and basketball are damn near unwatchable today.
I think Brazil should be the favorite. A lot of talent on that team, although Neymar is coming back from injury. Italy not making is a shocker. USA not making it is a shocker, mostly because other than Mexico there really aren?t that many teams that stand in the way of qualifying. We really need to play the young guys that are overseas. We?ve seen them in action in some friendlies recently and they looked good. 1-1 against France who played their World Cup team. Heck of a performance!

Spain just sacked their coach 2 days prior to their first match for taking the Real Madrid job. Apparently he didn't notify them that he was even interviewing for the position and the national team didn't find out he accepted the position until 5 minutes before the official announcement.

Spain just sacked their coach 2 days prior to their first match for taking the Real Madrid job. Apparently he didn't notify them that he was even interviewing for the position and the national team didn't find out he accepted the position until 5 minutes before the official announcement.

ouch. I get not telling them is bad form, but why is that an issue otherwise?

I was under the impression a lot of national coaches also coached pro teams.

the seasons don't overlap... right?

there's also Rolando. and don't forget Rinaldo.

Ronaldo, Rinaldo, Rolando, Roberto, and Ed. Those are the names you need to know to watch this World Cup

Is Landon Donovan playing this season?

No. He was actually left off the US squad for the last World Cup, 2014. He's retired from international play now.

But even if that wasn't the case... as noted above, the US isn't in this one.

I still can't believe we didn't qualify. what a fucking disaster...

But life goes on. looks like the US, Canada, and Mexico jointly won the bid to host the 2026

Not sure how the auto-bids work... does that mean we each get one? We all play in the same qualifying group (CONCACAF) which only has 3 auto-bids...

No. He was actually left off the US squad for the last World Cup, 2014. He's retired from international play now.

But even if that wasn't the case... as noted above, the US isn't in this one.

Landon Donovan was once married to the beautiful actress Bianca Kajlich.

Is Pele playing this season?

ouch. I get not telling them is bad form, but why is that an issue otherwise?

I was under the impression a lot of national coaches also coached pro teams.

the seasons don't overlap... right?

The 'disrespect' is literally the only reason. Judging from the sample of reactions I've read on the interwebs, their fan base is PISSED.

Landon Donovan was once married to the beautiful actress Bianca Kajlich.

Is Pele playing this season?

So probably about 25-29 years ago I asked my dad if Pele still played soccer, and he said "yes, he tried to make it popular here, and played for the New York Cosmos."

I have never heard anything else about it, so I assume he still plays for them.

my dad didn't really know much about soccer, or sports, so I wouldn't put money on any of that being true.

And apparently the University of Michigan is the inspiration.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/spain/story/3524899/gerard-pique-draws-inspiration-from-michigan-basketball-after-spain-fire-coach

Spain defender Gerard Pique cited an odd precedent for Spain's World Cup hopes in the wake of firing their coach on the eve of the tournament -- University of Michigan basketball.

The Spanish federation on Wednesday decided to sack coach Julen Lopetegui after he agreed to take over as manager of Real Madrid once the World Cup ended.

The move has threatened to push the team into turmoil just two days before their opener against Portugal, but Pique found inspiration in American college basketball.

"University of Michigan. Basketball. 1989. NCAA Champion. It wouldn't be the first time it happened," Pique wrote on Twitter. "All together, now more than ever."

And the World Cup starts out pretty much as expected.

Saudi Arabia is such a joke at not only soccer, but pretty much everything they do; but since they have unlimited billions of dollars to throw around, they always get their way.

Last edited by a moderator:
So probably about 25-29 years ago I asked my dad if Pele still played soccer, and he said "yes, he tried to make it popular here, and played for the New York Cosmos."

I have never heard anything else about it, so I assume he still plays for them.

my dad didn't really know much about soccer, or sports, so I wouldn't put money on any of that being true.

Is the English guy who married the Spice Girl playing this year? And if he is, who is he playing for?

Back