Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

BCS National Championship

For the fourth year in a row I will be watching part of the game on DirecTV on a Frontier flight and watching the end from a hotel in SoCal.

Last year it was Beverly Hills when Auburn won ... a few years ago, it was right down the road from Tinsel's at the Courtyard on Ventura in Sherman Oaks and this year, it will be at the Hyatt in La Jolla, watching the second half with Champ's Mom!

;) Heh ...

FYI - my Michigan shirt was a huge icebreaker in a restaurant in La Jolla... Barbarella's (although I was underdressed with a t-shirt & hooded sweatshirt, coming in from the beach)

the owner is an alum.

TheVictors03 said:
For the fourth year in a row I will be watching part of the game on DirecTV on a Frontier flight and watching the end from a hotel in SoCal.

Last year it was Beverly Hills when Auburn won ... a few years ago, it was right down the road from Tinsel's at the Courtyard on Ventura in Sherman Oaks and this year, it will be at the Hyatt in La Jolla, watching the second half with Champ's Mom!

;) Heh ...

There's some debate as to whether San Diego is really part of SoCal, or if it's on place with its own unique cultural identity.

Demographers generally include it, but a lot of both non-San Diego County SoCalers, as well as San Diegans, don't concur.

Same thing with Santa Barbara.

Kinda like Ann Arbor with Detroit - kinda connected, but also kinda not.

the only quibble i have with that is that San Diego is quite literally IN Southern California.

if "SoCal" really only refers to LA, you should just say "LA."

or not.

I don't care that much.

I agree SD doesn't really fit in the same equation as LA, though. SD & its environs is maybe the most conservative large city I've ever been to.

MichChamp02 said:
FYI - my Michigan shirt was a huge icebreaker in a restaurant in La Jolla... Barbarella's (although I was underdressed with a t-shirt & hooded sweatshirt, coming in from the beach)

the owner is an alum.

Yeah dude, I know right where that is -- my wife took our son there when they were with me one trip, but I haven't eaten there. There is an M Flag flying out front.

I only said "SoCal" in that for all these BCS Title games played on Monday nights, I am flying to my territory, which includes San Diego and LA and the areas between, all of which I consider Southern California.

And I love SD ... it's why I'm starting my 2012 travel year there. LA is week after next and the Ventura Valley side will be Feb, Tinsel.

MichChamp02 said:
the only quibble i have with that is that San Diego is quite literally IN Southern California.

or not.

I don't care that much.

I agree SD doesn't really fit in the same equation as LA, though. SD & its environs is maybe the most conservative large city I've ever been to.

Yeah, San Diego is also more south and much farther west than the Southwest - you can't get more south and more west than San Diego.

But the Southwest is hundreds of miles less west than San Diego.

Geographical characterizations are full of geographic misnombres.

work for coca cola out here in SD and so im in the grocery stores a lot....crazy how many people sport their michigan gear out here. All the white people have michigan gear on and all the mexicans have raiders gear on lol....i dont think there are any charger fans here.

San Diego is a pretty interesting mix of Military, Retirees, Money, Mexicans and Surfers. It really depends on where you are in the overall area -- there is definitely a more "conservative" tone when compared to LA (but not OC) politically but it's more pro-military than anything.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
MichChamp02 said:

or not.

I don't care that much.

Yeah, San Diego is also more south and much farther west than the Southwest - you can't get more south and more west than San Diego.

that's a more extreme example. and even so, that's not completely true. California is considered part of the southwest by some definitions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Southwest

still, if you said "SoCal" to me, I'd assume you mean LA-SD, as opposed to "NorCal" which is SF-SJ-Oak-Sacramento.

What are your thoughts on the "Bible Belt?" It's not much of a belt, in my humble opinion.

TheVictors03 said:
San Diego is a pretty interesting mix of Military, Retirees, Money, Mexicans and Surfers. It really depends on where you are in the overall area -- there is definitely a more "conservative" tone when compared to LA (but not OC) politically but it's more pro-military than anything.

I disagree that it's interesting, and also that it's only merely "pro"-military.

it's super-angry, beyond reasonable pro-military, and also arch-conservative. Nixon viewed it as his strongest base; the newspapers there were always on his side.

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

that's a more extreme example. and even so, that's not completely true. California is considered part of the southwest by some definitions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Southwest

still, if you said "SoCal" to me, I'd assume you mean LA-SD, as opposed to "NorCal" which is SF-SJ-Oak-Sacramento.

What are your thoughts on the "Bible Belt?" It's not much of a belt, in my humble opinion.

Oh yeah? Well, I can see the buckle from here!

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

Bible_belt.jpg

Nice. Is the Bible permanently attached to the belt, or is it like a clip-on?

Tebow throws for 316 yards ...

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

.... heard that one this morning a few times. Jeez

Back