Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Best suing NFL

I don't think he will win, but they will probably settle just so it doesn't go to court. Wonder why the NCAA isn't part of it, since his worst concussion was in college.

Kind of expected this. After the NFL settled out of court, it opened the flood gates for guys like Best to sue for the money he feels he could have earned with a healthy playing career.

First thing I get from this is how much of a farse the NFL and safety is concerned. Stink has said it for years that the NFL isn't even wearing the best helmet avail in terms of safety anf for years they could have changed that...but they don't. Secondly, Best must not be very optimistic about his coaching career if hes suing a potential employer.

"Best is also suing helmet-maker Riddell. Best suffered three-known concussions during his two-year NFL career, the last of which ostensibly ended his playing days in October 2011. The suit is a clear sign he's officially given up on playing again even though he's only 24. A Cal graduate, Best is joining the Golden Bears' coaching staff for 2014."

Would this problem not be completely eradicated by a surgeon generals warning? Football is bad for your health. I mean we can no longer sue smoking companies for giving us cancer right? Unless you make it flag football you can't make football safe, it is inherently not safe and no amount of 15 yard penalties or 5 and 6 figure fines will make it that way its not even logical its like fining the cigarette for giving someone cancer. Another question why can't boxers sue organized boxing, maybe because we know the getting hit in the head causes fucking damage? Why does this not apply to the NFL - what league of denial - its not even like cigarettes where its like who knew? I don't deny hitting you in the head with a two by four repeatedly will give you a concussion. I think the NFL blew it by hiring suits as lawyers the should have hired some ex-ball players. They took the wrong tact.

Would this problem not be completely eradicated by a surgeon generals warning? Football is bad for your health. I mean we can no longer sue smoking companies for giving us cancer right? Unless you make it flag football you can't make football safe, it is inherently not safe and no amount of 15 yard penalties or 5 and 6 figure fines will make it that way its not even logical its like fining the cigarette for giving someone cancer. Another question why can't boxers sue organized boxing, maybe because we know the getting hit in the head causes fucking damage? Why does this not apply to the NFL - what league of denial - its not even like cigarettes where its like who knew? I don't deny hitting you in the head with a two by four repeatedly will give you a concussion. I think the NFL blew it by hiring suits as lawyers the should have hired some ex-ball players. They took the wrong tact.

I completely agree. How hard is it to understand that playing football is bad for your health?

Here's a quote from Reggie Bush: "Football games ? I always try to relate them to for the average person ? it?s just like being in a car crash. Like literally every time you?re getting hit is like being in a car crash. Imagine as a running back you?re getting hit ? I touched the ball at least 20 to 30 times a game, that?s 20 to 30 car crashes you?re in in two hours."

I don't understand how NFL players can sue the NFL for money, claiming that the NFL didn't do enough to protect them against injury. That's what football is, hitting people.

I completely agree. How hard is it to understand that playing football is bad for your health?

Here's a quote from Reggie Bush: "Football games ? I always try to relate them to for the average person ? it?s just like being in a car crash. Like literally every time you?re getting hit is like being in a car crash. Imagine as a running back you?re getting hit ? I touched the ball at least 20 to 30 times a game, that?s 20 to 30 car crashes you?re in in two hours."

I don't understand how NFL players can sue the NFL for money, claiming that the NFL didn't do enough to protect them against injury. That's what football is, hitting people.

IMO that's why they make the living they do. Theres risk and skill involved so they get paid handsomely. Smart players should be putting away some of that money incase there are effects later. DUmb players blow the money on booze, drugs and strippers. The NFL is just enabling that behavior further by basically saying you don't need to be responsible with your money incase your health goes down hill later in life....cause you can just sue us for the cost of your health bills.

Its really not the same as smoking cigarettes though. We are talking about an employee getting hurt on the clock. In every other job, people get paid when injuries occur, and the NFL should be no different, even if the risks are always high for everyone. Even in the worlds most dangerous jobs, people get settlement checks for injuries, even with the risks being apparent.

Its really not the same as smoking cigarettes though. We are talking about an employee getting hurt on the clock. In every other job, people get paid when injuries occur, and the NFL should be no different, even if the risks are always high for everyone. Even in the worlds most dangerous jobs, people get settlement checks for injuries, even with the risks being apparent.

and with that come people that abuse it. I felt guilty for taking FMLA vacation pay for a week when my first child was born. Yet theres people sitting around on FMLA for 3 months because they bruised their hand.

My question is wtf does the union do for its employees? Why don't they may for the medical?

Screw him! I hope he doesn't get a nickel. That dumb fuck had that serious head injury during his last game in college. He should have known that it was going to happen again yet he was greedy and still played in the NFL. HE TOOK THE RISK!!!

Someone mentioned Best's college concussion vs. Ore. St. It was brutal. Perhaps he should have quit then. He had more than one in college. He was laid out by a Maryland player as well.

The NFL has a good medical and pension. The old guys didn't have that so I can see your and their point. This suit is not for that but on top of that so it is like cigarettes, it's for not being safe enough. I would go to the judge as the lawyer and ask how can we make a job where guys hit each other in the head 50 times a game safe? Bubble wrap? His lawyer thinks the NFL is in the settling mood and he's probably right. Like I said wrong tact. Say concussion and get dollar bills stuffed in your mouth because it's a dirty word. Stop making it a dirty word it happens, if Johnny plays football he's going to get hurt period, we can't do anything about it.

The NFL has a good medical and pension. The old guys didn't have that so I can see your and their point. This suit is not for that but on top of that so it is like cigarettes, it's for not being safe enough. I would go to the judge as the lawyer and ask how can we make a job where guys hit each other in the head 50 times a game safe? Bubble wrap? His lawyer thinks the NFL is in the settling mood and he's probably right. Like I said wrong tact. Say concussion and get dollar bills stuffed in your mouth because it's a dirty word. Stop making it a dirty word it happens, if Johnny plays football he's going to get hurt period, we can't do anything about it.

He'll win cause its very easily proven the helmets they are using can be much safer.

He'll win cause its very easily proven the helmets they are using can be much safer.

You choose your helmet, you choose your face mask, you choose the design of your mouthguard etc. Is the NFL responsible if underarmour jocks wick more sweat off your nuts than nike ones and that less nut sweat is proven to prevent dehydration?

Point being the NFL has to prove reasonable precaution has been taken. They are not trotting some guys out in leather helmets while others have Riddell Revolutions.

Last edited:

After the car crash did a football dribble out the open door....
sorry I know this is a serious subject... NFL should have a system in place where players don't should be able to get lifetime insurance instead of just 5 years after their career.. then if a player does get another job after his playing days the NFL policy goes to back up mode for awhile... I know this is just a Band-Aid on a wound but the NFL got of lite in my opionon on the settlement..

You choose your helmet, you choose your face mask, you choose the design of your mouthguard etc. Is the NFL responsible if underarmour jocks wick more sweat off your nuts than nike ones and that less nut sweat is proven to prevent dehydration?

Point being the NFL has to prove reasonable precaution has been taken. They are not trotting some guys out in leather helmets while others have Riddell Revolutions.

And they've already admitted they didnt take reasonable precaution.

And they've already admitted they didnt take reasonable precaution.

Yeah, I know. That is why I said they took the totally wrong tact. They are trying to make it look like the game is safe or can be made safer within the rules of a collision sport. That's dumb it can't. Football is more like boxing than basketball, baseball, or soccer. We'll see the stance hockey takes because they are next.

For me the arguments are:

You choose to play it.
It's not safe.
We can only provide reasonable precaution.

Due to the fact they think they'll lose viewers or peewee footballers or what ever they won't admit step two which immediately allows step 3 to be called into question.

After the car crash did a football dribble out the open door....

Looking back on his fumbles there weren't many that were the result of big hits. More like he just threw the football out the window while driving.

Back