Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Best thing about what I saw - offense

MAIZEandBLUE09

Instead of the offense gaining 40 yards at a time I loved how we just got 5 or so at a time and then had a nice 20 yard play here or there. Getting us into the red zone and then having to punch it in like old times. RR teams could never punch it into the end zone and that's a huge difference, so far, this year.

I'd rather score quicker and more often cause we won't be getting two turnovers for TDs in every game. Our defense is very suspect still.

Good things about the offense:

1.) No turnovers

2.) scored TDs on 5 of 8 possessions, 5 of 7 if you ignore the one right before the half where they just ran out the clock.

3.) seemed to get better as the game wore on.

4.) did not give ND much to prepare for, mixing up formations, and sticking with the running game. Whether this was by design, or because we still don't have the ability to throw downfield very much, I don't know.

alonzomoseley said:
The Offense didn't score TDs on 5 possessions.
gah!

you're right. it was 3 TDs in 5 possessions. I just looked at the drive chart on MGoBlue.com. They listed defensive TDs as drives.

1st half, 2 TDs in 4 possessions (and the 4th possession is where they took the knee)

2nd half, 1TD in 3 possessions (and the third possession ended b/c of the weather delay)

So 3 TDs in 7 offensive possessions officially, but realistically, 3 TDs in 5 possessions. I'll take it.

Our defense scored more points than Western did. They still seem bad at times, but when's the last time that has happened.

Best thing about the offense was no turnovers... Hold on to the ball and good things will happen.

michiganct said:
I'd rather score quicker and more often cause we won't be getting two turnovers for TDs in every game. Our defense is very suspect still.

Part of the reason our defense was so bad last year is that they were always on the field. The offense was 3 and out or sub-5 minute TD drives with big plays. The D never got a chance to rest.

Rounder

p.s. Notice I said part of the reason. The majority of the reason is that they were young and poorly coached.

Best thing about the offense yesterday ....watching Shoelace peel off after handing the ball to Fitz, Vinny & Shaw and clapping, already getting the next play call in from Borges and not getting up off the ground.

vic... your new sig pic is crazy.

I wonder how many people notre dame football will kill this year?

Back