Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chicago Bob? Or Vermont Bob? Or Even Professor Proton?

One of the greastest endings to a TV series. Such a great comedian & actor. Rest in peace..

A kind soul and comedian, I enjoyed watching his shows back in the day. RIP.

This is a Linkedin post from a friend and colleague:

Thanks, Bob. Thank you for your incredible, creative, side-splitting humor.

Thank you for being kind, a pro and allowing me to work with you.

Growing up, my closest friends in Dallas and I were really into comedy.

Jonathan Winters, the Marx Brothers, Mort Saul, Lenny Bruce, and a whole host of others.

And Bob Newhart, before his television shows. His comedy act schtick was talking to someone on the telephone.

That "schtick" allowed me to hire him for a series of videos for Ameritech to promote 25 features on their Centrex office phone system.

I came up with the routines and wrote the scripts ("Call Forward - Don't Answer" represented by Bob being Queen Isabella's Admin trying to connect her with Christopher Columbus) and then directing him on a soundstage in LA.

It was a blast. It was fun. It was easy.

He was so good at nailing almost all of them in one take.

He treated me and the crew with respect and he was just a plain old wonderful guy.

He was funny, too. During our lunch break, I asked him what he thought about the material I (with some help from one of those childhood friends) had written.

Bob: I'm surprised at how good it is. Tough stuff to turn into comedy.

"Friend": Funny too?

Bob: Yeah. You have my routine down pat. You did a great job.

"Friend": So I hear you're putting together a creative team for your next show.

Bob: It wasn't that good.

The table erupts in laughter because it was how Bob said it and what he meant.

My mashed potatoes were almost coming out of my nose.

We lost something yesterday, but it's a helluva lot funnier and happier wherever he is.

Oh that Bob.

Back