Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Darkhorse Candidates

dubbsco

Who ya got that could end up in A2 that's not Les Miles or the Harbaugh brothers?

I really think if it's not one of those guys, it could end up being Pat Fitzgerald. Has had good success at Northwestern, high character dude, seems to be a good match for Michigan.

Who ya got that could end up in A2 that's not Les Miles or the Harbaugh brothers?

I really think if it's not one of those guys, it could end up being Pat Fitzgerald. Has had good success at Northwestern, high character dude, seems to be a good match for Michigan.

But I thought I heard that Fitzgerald love coaching Northwestern.

Maybe nobody will agree with this, but if we can't get the marquee name, I would almost rather stick with the bozo that we have instead of getting just another bozo, until A marquee name becomes available.

I disagree with that, maybe a new bozo will actually stumble onto some success. The current bozo needs to go.

I've offered these names as potentials...(in no particular order)

Greg Schiano
Butch Jones
Mark Stoops
Tom Herman
Chuck Martin

Justin Frye
JB Grimes

I say these jokingly, but they are two of the best o-line coaches in the country. I'm sick of having a shitty offensive line.

Meh on Butch Jones. He basically took a program that Brian Kelly built at CMU and maintained it. He's been a flop at Tennessee, and they don't look to be improving at all.

I really dont like Fitzgeralds play not to lose attitude in second halves of games. So, no to Pat. I would really not like getting big leads just to piss them away.

Meh on Butch Jones. He basically took a program that Brian Kelly built at CMU and maintained it. He's been a flop at Tennessee, and they don't look to be improving at all.

How is he a flop at Tenn when they have the youngest team in the FBS? They start 9 freshman with 9 back up freshman and a shitty quarterback. Once the oline settles in over there and they get a qb, that team is going to be really hard to deal with especially with a watered down East Division.

But I thought I heard that Fitzgerald love coaching Northwestern.

Maybe nobody will agree with this, but if we can't get the marquee name, I would almost rather stick with the bozo that we have instead of getting just another bozo, until A marquee name becomes available.

:hmm: we agree on something....

The world is changing, maybe we get Les as HC only because of age. John as DC and Jim as OC...We win every damn year!

I'd rather see Michigan piss away big leads compared to what they are doing now. At least there's some hint that the team MAY actually win, rather than getting smacked upside the head right away.

5-7, 5-7, 4-5. I've watched them play several times this year. That game against Florida was absolutely horrible.

It's his third year and they haven't made any strides.

But if it's him or Hoke, then yeah I'll take Jones all day.

I'd rather see Michigan piss away big leads compared to what they are doing now. At least there's some hint that the team MAY actually win, rather than getting smacked upside the head right away.

I think there are better coaches than Pat out there.

5-7, 5-7, 4-5. I've watched them play several times this year. That game against Florida was absolutely horrible.

It's his third year and they haven't made any strides.

But if it's him or Hoke, then yeah I'll take Jones all day.

2nd year and 2nd full recruiting cycle.

My apologizes, I thought it was his third year. It is then too early to judge him, absolutely.

He's a decent coach, and I would not mind him at all. I don't know if he would leave Tenn after his second season?

Last edited:
im so sick of hearing how many recruits are a certain coaches recruits. unless you completely change the landscape of the team, a good coach will take the athletes he has and make his team productive. the "cupboard being bare' and all that crap is just excuses of mediocre coaches.

im so sick of hearing how many recruits are a certain coaches recruits. unless you completely change the landscape of the team, a good coach will take the athletes he has and make his team productive. the "cupboard being bare' and all that crap is just excuses of mediocre coaches.

or potentially good coaches who are too narrow minded to allow for a transition period. that was one of the things I liked about Hoke and Borges, they recognized the existing talent was much more spread related than what they wanted to use. they began recruiting the type of players they would eventually want to use, but still tried to keep as much of the current talent maximized to their strengths. the transition was hardest after Shoelace was injured and DG came in.

I feel bad for DG, coming into a spread O then being moved to WR and then back to QB for a team that was transitioning to a very different base scheme. this is where Nuss has failed the most, by trying to force DG into a type of offense that does not play to DG's strengths.

not that I think DG is the greatest of QBs and he just came into a bad situation. I honestly don't think DG would have started if he had gone to pretty much any other school. this is also why I don't think Shane should start next year barring an incredible improvement in the offseason. I'd rather see Speight who has potential and upside, something Shane has shown very little of based on his lack of vision, choices, and his throws are just not very pretty.

the biggest problem with UM throughout the RR era and even since Hoke has been in charge has been the lack of talent at QB. until that changes, I don't care what coach you bring in they will not be contending for B1G championships. maybe they can train the QB to just not make mistakes and let the D and run game win the game, but that does not have high probability these days as you do not see that philosophy in college like you do in the NFL. UM must have a QB who is at a minimum All-B1G caliber.

Are we seriously going to rehash this shit?! I find oversimplified platitudes like "just the excuses of mediocre coaches" are exponentially worse. It just reeks of an effort to relieve someone of the obligation to actually think and evaluate what's going on.

i understand the frustration with the generalization but you just posted in the other thread about how the rr transition scared everyone into thinking thats always the way it is. im not saying there is not transition situations when a coach changes. what i am saying is that not adapting to the talent you have as a coach and using the excuse of not having your kids is the sign of a mediocre coach to me.

What exactly is the 'potential and upside' for Speight? The fact that he has never, ever taken a snap in college football? This is the crap I'm tired of.

That whole post is just blathering on about nothing.

Last edited:
Back