Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/06/spokesperson_due_to_brad_ausmu.html
MLB spokesperson: League will take no action due to Brad Ausmus' immediate reaction, apologies.
mlive

http://www.freep.com/article/20140619/SPORTS02/306190120/brad-ausmus-wife-joke-apologizes
Brad Ausmus apologizes again for joke: 'I wasn't trying to hurt anyone'.
freep

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140619/SPORTS0104/306190089/
Tigers' Brad Ausmus apologizes again: 'I wasn't trying to trivialize' abuse.
detnews

Last edited:
V-Mart, Avila demonstrate trick to thwart shift.
DETROIT -- Tigers manager Brad Ausmus has said for a while that the recent trend toward aggressive infield shifts would soon have a countertrend. The sight of Victor Martinez and Alex Avila both laying down bunts against the shift Wednesday suggests the counter has arrived.

Both bunts came on the first pitch leading off an inning, when the priority was simply to get on base. Both bunts went foul, though Martinez's second-inning attempt rolled for a while before finally veering to the wrong side of the foul line. Avila's fifth-inning try was clearly foul off the bat. Neither ball had a defender in the neighborhood when it rolled foul.

"I did like to see it, try to make something happen," Ausmus said. "I've said that the shifts have kind of gotten out of hand, and I think you have to counteract them. We haven't actually talked to Victor about it, but we've talked with Alex about it. Alex has even come out and practiced it.

"Shoot, if you're leading off an inning and they're going to give you that, take it. Get on base, because we need baserunners. The only way you can score is if you can get on base."

Neither hitter tried to bunt again, though Avila didn't rule out the possibility of bunting on a second pitch or later.

"A lot of teams, to defend against that for guys that they shift on, they move a guy up," Avila said. "And then after a strike, they move them back."
Tigers official site

Torii targeting weekend for full-time return.
DETROIT -- Torii Hunter took batting practice on the field Thursday morning, and manager Brad Ausmus wasn't ruling out the possibility of having him available to pinch-hit. His return to full action, however, will wait for the weekend.

Hunter said he was hoping to be ready for Saturday's game in Cleveland. Ausmus has publicly kept his timetable as day to day, but indicated the weekend set against the Indians has been the realistic goal all along.

"I'm somewhat hopeful that if we needed him in a pinch-hit role, he could to that," Ausmus said Thursday morning, "but I can't say he will or he won't."

Hunter's left hamstring tightened up on him running out of the batter's box on a base hit Monday night. However, he said the injury dates back to Sunday, when he went from first to third on a dropped fly ball in the ninth inning.

For that reason, while Hunter wants to get back as soon as possible, he also wants to ward off making the injury any worse than he already has.
Tigers official site

Back