Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Next step in Dirks' rehab could be Triple-A Toledo.
DETROIT -- Andy Dirks could be in line to have his rehab assignment transferred to Triple-A Toledo later this week. The Tigers outfielder, who had surgery on his back, went 2-for-7 in his first two games for low Class A West Michigan before entering what is expected to be his final home start for the Whitecaps on Sunday.

The Whitecaps hit the road Monday for Lake County, Ohio, just outside Cleveland. They'll play three games there before returning to Michigan for four games against Lansing next weekend. However, Toledo -- a relatively short drive from Lake County -- returns home Thursday for a 10-game, 11-day homestand.

Dirks began his rehab assignment on Friday, going 1-for-3 as the Whitecaps' left fielder before going 1-for-4 as their DH on Saturday. He can rehab for up to 18 more days before the Tigers have to make a move with him. If he needs longer than that, they could use a Minor League option on him.
Tigers official site

Tigers want to get Avila going vs. southpaws.
DETROIT -- Tigers manager Brad Ausmus does not want to reduce Alex Avila to a platoon catcher. More games like Saturday would go a long way to making sure he doesn't have to.

While the Rockies started a left-handed pitcher for the 19th consecutive game on Sunday, the Tigers started the lefty-swinging Avila against a southpaw for the second day in a row. His Saturday start against rookie southpaw Tyler Matzek -- when he went 3-for-4 with two RBIs -- fit into Ausmus' larger goal of getting Avila going against lefties.

The way Avila calls a game and handles the pitching staff, Ausmus wants to be able to start him regularly. His struggles against lefties this season has made it difficult to do that. In most series, a spot matchup with a lefty makes it easy to give Avila a day off. Three consecutive lefties, however, is a challenge.

"I didn't want Alex to not play three games," Ausmus said. "I was toying with the idea of [backup catcher Bryan] Holaday playing the first and third game of the series, and it crossed my mind I could play him all three, but I just decided I didn't want to keep Alex out that long. And then he made me look good by getting three hits."

It was one game, but it was a pair of RBI hits off a lefty. The first went through the shift, a ground ball that carried under the glove of Wilin Rosario, playing first base Saturday to get out from behind home plate.

The second hit was more the style the Tigers were seeking, an opposite-field line drive that carried to the fence in the left-center-field gap. It's the kind of hit Avila got with regularity early in his career.

Avila added a late-inning double off ageless Rockies right-hander LaTroy Hawkins.

"He's been working hard with [hitting coach] Wally [Joyner], so it was nice to see some results after the hard work," Ausmus said.

The work, Ausmus said, is a combination of mechanics and approach.

"We've been working our tails off to try to get me back to the form I used to be," Avila said. "One of the luxuries so far this year is that I've been healthy, but haven't been able to kind of translate that health into production. But we've been working hard."

Those struggles had worsened in recent weeks. His three hits and two RBIs nearly doubled his production since the All-Star break, which was at 7-for-39 (.179) entering Sunday with four doubles, five RBIs, three walks and 16 strikeouts.

This was right around the time last season that Avila began his late-season surge, batting .290 (29-for-100) over the final two months with 10 extra-base hits, 15 RBIs and an .828 OPS

"I've been able to finish strong the last few years," Avila said, "so I'm hoping I can do that again."
Tigers official site

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/08/the_detroit_tigers_cant_refute.html
The Detroit Tigers can't refute it, David Price trade 'injected a little energy' into team.
mlive

"I don't know that I'd be willing to say that there's an unspoken competition (amongst the starting pitchers) at this point, David is still getting to know his teammates, but it doesn't bother me if that's where it heads," Ausmus said. "It's probably a little early to say that but it doesn't bother me if that is there."

Elsewhere in the clubhouse, the sentiment was echoed. For Price, who's had a front row seat as Verlander, Porcello and Sanchez set the precedent, he can't get enough of it.

"I think that needs to be our midset," Price said. "Everybody needs to try to one up the guy that pitched before him. If we do that, it could get pretty scary."

http://www.freep.com/article/20140803/SPORTS02/308030163/detroit-tigers-joba-chamberlain
Detroit Tigers' Joba Chamberlain has no ill feelings about returning to New York.
freep

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...iever-Joba-Chamberlain-braces-return-New-York
Tigers reliever Joba Chamberlain braces for return to New York.
detnews

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/inde...1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_away&c_id=det
Joba eager to face Yankees in Bronx return.
Tigers reliever opened his career with NY; Scherzer, McCarthy to start.
Tigers official site

Back