Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Triple digit temps for Tigers in texas.
As if the pressure to get rolling again wasn't enough heat on the Tigers, they arrived in Texas to the midsummer heat wave. It was enough to make the steamy days in Detroit earlier this summer seem mild by comparison.

Monday's first-pitch temperature was 100 degrees. Tuesday's high temperature is forecast to reach somewhere between 105 and 108. Temperatures should stay in the triple digits for Wednesday's series finale.

Add it up, and the salvation for the Tigers is that it's only a three-game series.

The Tigers took batting practice Monday but told their hitters to only be outside when their group was hitting and head back into the clubhouse otherwise. They did not take any infield ground balls or shag flies.
from the Tigers official site

Smyly turns to secret remedy to heal blister.
Drew Smyly grew up in Arkansas and lives in Dallas, so he knows about pitching in heat. The forecast highs of 105-108 degrees here for Tuesday don't scare him as he anticipates his first start in 16 days.

However, when he went on the disabled list two weeks ago, he said his blister problems seem to pop up with heat and humidity. He doesn't think it'll be an issue this time, because he has taken extra precaution to treat the left index finger where the blister popped.

He has tried the old pickle juice recipe that Nolan Ryan made famous. He has another treatment courtesy of Class A Lakeland athletic trainer Corey Tremble: He puts his hand into a bag of rice.

Yes, rice -- brown, to be exact.

"You just put your hand in it, rub it around your fingers," Smyly said. "It worked really well [last year], so I've stuck with it. I mean, it helps a lot. But my finger's fine, so I'm not worried about it right now."

Valverde declares himself 'OK' after wrist sprain.
Jose Valverde pronounced himself ready to go as needed Monday afternoon as he sat in the visiting clubhouse at The Ballpark in Arlington. With that, the Tigers' bullpen was back at full strength.

Valverde hasn't pitched in more than a week. He was preparing to pitch last Tuesday night against the Cardinals when he sprained his wrist on a warmup pitch in the bullpen and had to stop throwing.

Valverde said he threw an eight-minute bullpen session Sunday and felt fine.

"I'm OK for today," Valverde said Monday afternoon. "It's a little sore, but I'll be OK."

Back