Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Doug Fister has allowed 3 ER or fewer in 6 straight starts and ELIAS says his 1.79 ERA since the break is T-3rd lowest in AL (min. 40 IP).

Tigers try Peralta batting 5th today, 4th different guy in last 4 games. For season, Tigers rank 29th in MLB in OPS from 5th spot.
Peralta is 10-for-22, 3 doubles, HR, 7 RBIs off Duensing. Most of the damage came last season (5-for-8, 5 RBIs).

The Tigers will be one of the first teams to be featured on the NBC Sports Network television series "Caught Looking," which will air at 9 p.m. Wednesday. Crews from MLB Productions went behind the scenes during the weekend series between the Tigers and Rangers for a 1-hour presentation.

Right-handed reliever Al Alburquerque, recovering from right elbow surgery, has a 6.00 ERA (two runs in three innings) in three outings of his rehab assignment at Triple-A Toledo.

Left-handed reliever Daniel Schlereth has a 2.70 ERA (3.1 IP, 1 ER) and three strikeouts in four outings during his rehab assignment at Single-A Lakeland. He has been sidelined since April 21 with left shoulder tendinitis.

Luke Putkonen is hoping his third stint with the Tigers this season is the charm.

The rookie right-hander was recalled from Triple-A Toledo prior to Tuesday's game against the Twins. Detroit optioned reliever Duane Below to Toledo after Monday's 9-3 loss.

Putkonen said he feels more comfortable with the big league club after spending time with the Tigers earlier this season. He posted an 8.59 ERA over 7 1/3 innings in six games during his previous two stints with Detroit.

"It's good -- a little experience helps," he said. "I still don't want to ever think [about] it, I just want to go out and pitch.

"I kind of know some of the guys by now, so it's a little more comfortable."

The 26-year-old owns a 4.68 ERA with 44 strikeouts in 50 innings for Toledo this season. Tigers manager Jim Leyland described Putkonen as an innings eater, someone who can throw two or three innings at a time for Detroit if necessary.

"I just want to keep doing what I've been doing," Putkonen said. "I don't want to do anything different. I went down there [to Toledo] and worked on the location of my pitches and just got ready to pitch."
from the Tigers official site

Time not on V-Mart's side for '12 return.
The clock is ticking against Victor Martinez's chances for a return in 2012.

Martinez continues to work toward being able to make that return, but reports from Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand don't bode well.

"He's just doing single leg strengthening until he reaches a point where they feel comfortable starting a running progression," Rand said. "He's basically running out of time."

Martinez, who tore his left anterior cruciate ligament during offseason workouts in January, underwent microfracture surgery later that month. He was initially expected to have no chance to play this season and undergo reconstructive surgery in April, but the doctor treating him decided his knee healed enough to not require it.

So the 33-year-old instead underwent a less serious procedure to assist in the healing process, thus restoring some hope for him to play this year.

"We were hopeful," Rand said. "I was hopeful at the point in time at the end of July that he would test out a little bit better than what he did. Unfortunately, you just don't know in those instances."

Martinez hit .330 with 103 RBIs for Detroit in 2011. He is signed with the club through '14.

"To me, I'm looking at this from the standpoint -- we have 2013, 2014," Rand said. "I'd love to have him here. But by the same token, you can't put him at risk for those two years."
from the Tigers official site

August 15 in Tigers and mlb history:

1945: Umpire Ernie Stewart is canned by American League President Will Harridge for "disloyalty." Stewart had complained about the pay and taken his case to Commissioner Happy Chandler. Bill McGowan is the top-paid umpire in the league at $9,000.

1945: Commissioner Happy Chandler sells World Series radio rights for $150,000 to Gillette. Ford had been the World Series sponsor since 1934, paying $100,000 annually.

1984: The Tigers cuff Tommy John for ten hits in six innings to beat the Angels 8 - 3. Dan Petry (15-5) scatters eight hits in eight innings, and Dave Bergman backs him with two triples and three RBIs. With Cleveland beating Toronto twice, the Tigers' lead is now nine games.

1992: Texas P Bobby Witt walks 10 Tigers in 4 2/3 innings, as Detroit strolls past the Rangers 10 - 3. No one has walked this many in this few innings.

2001: The Tigers defeat the Angels 5 - 1, as Detroit OF Roger Cedeno leads the team with five hits.

2011: The Minnesota Twins trade OF Delmon Young to the Detroit Tigers for Class A pitcher Cole Nelson and a player to be named later.

Tigers players birthdays:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Chris_Brown
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brownch02.shtml
Chris Brown 1989.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/novoaro01.shtml
Roberto Novoa 2004.

from baseball reference

Back