Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Green, Smith, or Both?

I like using them both. I saw this stat on Twitter

First Two Drives with Burzynski: 9-35 (3.89 YPC)

Next Five Drives with Kalis: 14-229 (16.36 YPC)

that's huge. some of that may have been App. St. playing the pass after Funchess' two TDs & 100 yards passing on 1st 2 drives... but Kalis' impact was obvious seeing him pushing people around well past the line of scrimmage.

according to Bam's analysis, even in that big run to the left, Kalis pulled that way, so he was basically involved in every big run we had on the day.

if the coaches were sending him a message, looks like he received it loud and clear.

if the coaches were sending him a message, looks like he received it loud and clear.

I would guess they were awarding Burzinski for stepping in and presumably giving max effort while Kalis was dinged up.

I would guess they were awarding Burzinski for stepping in and presumably giving max effort while Kalis was dinged up.
I know Kalis was injured... so it could be that could be as well.

I assumed maybe there was some malingering there on the part of Kalis, but have no basis or reason for this assumption, other than it seems rewarding a guy with a start over the better player seemed less likely (and riskier) than just rewarding him with more PT once we had a rhythm... so I figured Hoke must have some intent to make Kalis understand he'd risk something by not starting him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Kalis was injured... so it could be that could be as well.

I assumed maybe there was some malingering there on the part of Kalis, but have no basis or reason for this assumption, other than it seems rewarding a guy with a start over the better player seemed less likely (and riskier) than just rewarding him with more PT once we had a rhythm... so I figured Hoke must have some intent to make Kalis understand he'd risk something by not starting him.

Yeah, I'm out on a limb too, but I think the circumstances make it plausible. Kalis wasn't fully cleared early in the week, so they had to practice as if Burzynski was the starter. Plus he's a 5th year senior and they're playing a crappy opponent.

one other thing we haven't seen from either is how they are in the passing game. I thought losing gallon and relying on such youth at WR would mean a back would step up in the passing game and we would see some sort of production from them. Obviosuly, Nuss probably didn't want to open up the playbook vs app state and show screens n such....but over the next couple of weeks lets see if either of them can catch a ball....even if its in the screen game.

Justice Hayes...

I feel sorry for Hayes. He was such a highly-rated kid coming out of HS, and he just hasn't been able to make an impact on the team.

Well Saturday would be the day to do it, he decommited from ND before picking Michigan.

Last edited:
Hayes is a tough one for me....im biased for quicker backs. But you cant bring him in just for screens and draws cause everyone will know what youre doing. Im down for giving him a bigger role but it seems to go against the "pound it" type mentality Hoke seems like he is trying to establish (or atleast talks about when he says he wants to get back to "Michigan football"....I haven't really seen it the last 3 years).

Last edited:
Back