Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoke Watch

Hoke's Fate Will Be ...

• Determined this week - fired before team goes to Ohio

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Determined immediately following the game in Ohio - fired on Monday

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Determined if the University has another HC in line and ready - in mid-December or later

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Determined based on his performance next season as Head Coach

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
yeah, they'll wait till the Bust, maybe even wait until January to save that $1M so they can roll it over into next coach salary.

no need to pull the trigger too quickly as both Harbaughs will still be coaching their respective team through December and possibly into January.

don't worry about the recruits who might defect or players who might consider transferring. focus on getting a top tier coach, the recruits will remain/return/fill in voids left by those who bolt.

the MUST in all of this is getting the top tier coach. I still hope for John over Jim...show off that SB ring and display a more personable demeanor with the parents, potentially keep Mattison to provide a sort of continuity too. sure he and Mattison have had issues in the past, but they are professionals and should be able to overcome such obstacles.

Mattison's defense is overrated...Out of all of them I would keep him... But naw time to change it all..

Last edited:
With all due respect, I did *not* call OSU Ohio, I said the game in Ohio which is entirely accurate and "before they go to Ohio" - also accurate and in reference to SC not allowing lane Kiffin on the team plane.

Perhaps we should all start calling that 'university' ...Theee Ohio State?

Have any of you ever heard buckeye fans sing The Victors? Ever seen how every single 'M' is missing on signage in Ohio Stadium (sorry, that's it's name - it's not The Ohio State Stadium)? Ever heard about how Woody Hayes refused to buy gasoline in the state of Michigan ...wouldn't say the name of the *state* at all...?

That's all gayer, more immature and disrespectful than Hoke's use of Ohio in reference to OSU.

Last edited:
I get a little tired of hearing how great this defense is on broadcasts. Any time they ran into a team with a semblance of offense, they got ripped up. ND hung 31, and they are turning out to be real average. Utah put up 26, Minnesota 30, Rutgers (who can't even complete a pass anymore) 26, Maryland 23.

There's no doubt it's the strong suit of this team. But it's not a shut down, incredible defense. It's good.

OSU will hang 40 on this defense.

I watched a lot of the OSU/IU game on Saturday and until that PR for a TD, Indiana controlled that game. I would expect them to move the ball against MICHIGAN, but I'm also expecting a handful of "big plays" to make the game. Some flea flicker or HB option pass or double reverse on a kickoff or some shit.

114th ranked offense. They will basically have to do what they did against OSU last year and just do 900 reverses, trick plays, 5 wide, whatever.

They really don't need to run trick plays. Their offense is so diverse as it is. The jet sweeps, Barrett running, whatever, they don't need to pull out magic.

Michigan will. Nothing has worked till now.

I watched a lot of the OSU/IU game on Saturday and until that PR for a TD, Indiana controlled that game. I would expect them to move the ball against MICHIGAN, but I'm also expecting a handful of "big plays" to make the game. Some flea flicker or HB option pass or double reverse on a kickoff or some shit.

I watched that game too. It was an odd game. Coleman is a beast. While the score was 20-14 before that punt return OSU really couldn't get out of their own way in the first 1/2. The 3 turnovers by OSU in the first 16 minutes of the game kept IU in the game. At the end of the day OSU pretty much pulled away from IU. For UM to keep the game close they are going to have to have the same kind of big offensive plays that IU was able to pull off (Coleman runs of 90 and 52 yards) and the 53 yard scramble by the QB on 3rd and long.

yeah, and that hasn't happened at all once this year. such an UNexplosive offense. amazing, really

This could be an absolute 100 percent reach but I'm going to see if it has any water anyways. Is it possible that after the team saw what happened with Morris, they decided that it wasn't worth it to play hard knowing that their coaches don't have any intelligence to know when to take them out of games?

Lots of players are trying to get into the NFL, what's the point of playing hard knowing it's not worth it?

This could be an absolute 100 percent reach but I'm going to see if it has any water anyways. Is it possible that after the team saw what happened with Morris, they decided that it wasn't worth it to play hard knowing that their coaches don't have any intelligence to know when to take them out of games?

Lots of players are trying to get into the NFL, what's the point of playing hard knowing it's not worth it?

The only problem with that theory is who is actually an NFL player on this team? If I was a GM, Jake Ryan would be the only one I would consider drafting.

LOL good point. The obvious answer is Funchess, but his draft stock has sunk.

LOL good point. The obvious answer is Funchess, but his draft stock has sunk.

Funchess isn't worth more than a 6th round flyer. He's a horrible route runner, terrible blocker, quits on plays, and drops easy passes. Quite frankly, he's just not good. He has one TD since the App State game.

Last edited:
That's crazy. ONE TD since Appy. He's such a freak of an athlete. I never thought going into this season he'd stay for his senior year, he might have to.

Starting to think he is fired after the game. We are trying to plan our regular monday lunch and have no dea what to expect with who shows up

Last edited:
I think Funchess didn't give up I think it is a focus mental thing

Hisnstats aren't great for coming out as a junior

I don't think it will happen the following Monday. Anytime the week after The Game would be really fast.

Starting to think he is fired after the game. We are trying to plan our regular mindaynkunch and haven't idea what to expect

On the cosmically impossible chance that M wins on Saturday, it will wait at least two weeks before firing Hoke. If M loses, it will happen the following Monday.

Back