Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How Did it Look on TV?

alonzomoseley

Sorry, I'm sure the answer to my question is in the threads, but I haven't read through them all yet. On the scoreboard, it looked like there were three awful, awful calls and a terrible job by the replay official:

1. Was Denard down before the ball came out? Looked like it on the scoreboard.
2. Was the spot on the first down placement that Brady challenged bad? On the scoreboard it looked like they gave Ohio an extra yard at least.
3. When Fitz's knee hit, wasn't the ball right on top of the goal line (thus having pierced the near edge)?

Denard did fumble, it was obvious with replay

I think the spot was bad, but they never reverse spots, it seems.

the fitz td should have stood

On TV replay the ball was out before DR was down. No question. The refs were giving generous spots all game. Not sure what they were looking at in spotting the ball. On the Fitz TD, looked like he was across (see MSU-Wiscy game last play) before the knee was down. My question was, if he wasn't across, why did they put the ball on the 1ft line? If that was where his knee hit, the ball was in front of that by at least a foot. On that play the refs were not generous.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
The fitz td is the only call I thought was wrong.

I don't see how they possibly could have reversed that, based on the need for indisputable conclusive evidence.

Now, had the ruling on the field been "down," that call probably should have stood also.

I sometimes think these replay officials often stretch the parameters of what "indispubatle conclusivity" means.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
The fitz td is the only call I thought was wrong.

I agree. That was the only wrong call. It was the biggest call of the game and the replay officials got it wrong which could have cost Michigan the game. Thankfully the special teams stepped up and so did the D!

I am completely flumoxed by instant replay. The officials do the opposite of what I would have done, based on the replay footage, almost every time. You could get rich betting opposite of me on whether a replay will or won't result in a reversal.

The refs were absolutely incorrect about the fitz td. And they did place the ball a bit generously (on the Brady challenge) - but given where the ball was placed, the challenge was called correctly.

Had Floyds body slam been enough to keep ohio from the 1st , that might have went down as one of the all time great UM/ohio photos. its still a great shot, but if that was the deciding play which caused a turnover on downs it would have added a great story to the already great picture.

There is a shit of Fitzgerald td that shows the ball wasn't over the line. Per what others told me

The ballmspotting was bad

Back