Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ill vs MSU

what are you talking about? I've already admitted I was wrong because I didn't think Izzo would get them to shut down a team like Virginia but again, this one win doesn't erase everything that happened this year. Over a month ago I said they could finish in the top 3, but that it would be a function of how far down the B1G is this year - it is, and I was right about that. I don't recall ever using the term dog shit or anything like it. I also think if we were to play Virginia 10 times, we'd probably lose 7 of them. The fact that one of those 3 times happened yesterday doesn't prove me wrong about the team. If you want to say one improbable win proves I was wrong, go ahead.

so now you said that they could finish in the top 3? you said their ceiling was simply making the tournament and that would be a function of how shitty the big ten was.

so now you said that they could finish in the top 3? you said their ceiling was simply making the tournament and that would be a function of how shitty the big ten was.

Yeah, top three in the B1G. I said that over a month ago.

Yeah, top three in the B1G. I said that over a month ago.

you also said that their ceiling was making the tournament. I'm going to make a prediction that they lose to oklahoma, i'm also making one that they beat oklahoma and lose in the elite 8, another that they make the final four, another that they make the final game, and another that they win the national title. their ceiling is one of those options, I won't be wrong.

you also said that their ceiling was making the tournament. I'm going to make a prediction that they lose to oklahoma, i'm also making one that they beat oklahoma and lose in the elite 8, another that they make the final four, another that they make the final game, and another that they win the national title. their ceiling is one of those options, I won't be wrong.

Sounds like something you would do.

Sounds like something you would do.

well it's something you actually did do, you posted that you thought just making the tournament was this years ceiling and that was a function of the conference being weak, not a function of this MSU team. You backtracked recently and said that you misspoke, which is odd considering that this is a message forum and not a conversation. you actually took the time to write out "the ceiling of this team is just making the tournament" but you really meant that the ceiling would be top 3 in the big ten? I don't consider that making a mistake, i consider it simply being wrong. Grown men can admit that they were wrong about the team's ceiling.

i did nothing of the sort - over a month ago I made the point that if we finished 2nd or 3rd (top 3) it would be more of a function of how far down the B1G was. Finishing 2nd or 3rd was a possibility I acknowledged all season. And wow, we finished tied for 3rd but tied for 3rd in a weak year for the B1G isn't particularly impressive. I mean, look at Maryland, they finished 9th in the ACC last year moved to the B1G and finished alone in second place in B1G a year later. It's a down year for the B1G. Tied for 3rd is not impressive.

I'm a little surprised that we made the sweet 16, but the sweet 16 isn't exactly a deep run - it's one improbable win. It doesn't mean i was wrong, it doesn't mean the team is better than I thought (look at the box score - horrible FT, FG%, out-rebounded, 18 offenses rebounds given up, play like that against KY, Gonzaga, Arizona, Wisco, Duke, etc, w/ Denzel and Nairn on the bench most of the 1h and chunks of the 2nd, I give us 10% of winning). It means they outperformed and got a little lucky. The larger point is the team has some glaring weaknesses, if you want to ignore them because they played their asses off, played great defense (except defensive rebounding) and UVA shot 11% from 3, go ahead.

well it's something you actually did do, you posted that you thought just making the tournament was this years ceiling and that was a function of the conference being weak, not a function of this MSU team. You backtracked recently and said that you misspoke, which is odd considering that this is a message forum and not a conversation. you actually took the time to write out "the ceiling of this team is just making the tournament" but you really meant that the ceiling would be top 3 in the big ten? I don't consider that making a mistake, i consider it simply being wrong. Grown men can admit that they were wrong about the team's ceiling.

Also, I have to say it's rather funny that you're sticking to such a literal interpretation of something I said (sorry, something I took the time to type) more than a week before the bracket was even out. Then you make an outrageous statement about how "we're winning all these games we have no business winning" then whine like the little crybaby bitch that you are when I call you out and ask you to name all these game we're winning that we have no business winning.

i did nothing of the sort - over a month ago I made the point that if we finished 2nd or 3rd (top 3) it would be more of a function of how far down the B1G was. Finishing 2nd or 3rd was a possibility I acknowledged all season. And wow, we finished tied for 3rd but tied for 3rd in a weak year for the B1G isn't particularly impressive. I mean, look at Maryland, they finished 9th in the ACC last year moved to the B1G and finished alone in second place in B1G a year later. It's a down year for the B1G. Tied for 3rd is not impressive.

I'm a little surprised that we made the sweet 16, but the sweet 16 isn't exactly a deep run - it's one improbable win. It doesn't mean i was wrong, it doesn't mean the team is better than I thought (look at the box score - horrible FT, FG%, out-rebounded, 18 offenses rebounds given up, play like that against KY, Gonzaga, Arizona, Wisco, Duke, etc, w/ Denzel and Nairn on the bench most of the 1h and chunks of the 2nd, I give us 10% of winning). It means they outperformed and got a little lucky. The larger point is the team has some glaring weaknesses, if you want to ignore them because they played their asses off, played great defense (except defensive rebounding) and UVA shot 11% from 3, go ahead.

that's all well and good, i agree with most of what you said in this post, you're not going to get an argument from me. the one thing that makes me scratch my head a little is what you said in post 59 which is quite different than saying that we could end up as a top 3 team in the conference. if you don't feel like looking back, i'll paste it here

Here's a consistent message - the ceiling for this team is making the tournament and it will be more likely a function of how bad the conference is ex-Wisconsin than how good this team is if they do.

that contradicts the top 3 celing just a little bit, don't you think?

that's all well and good, i agree with most of what you said in this post, you're not going to get an argument from me. the one thing that makes me scratch my head a little is what you said in post 59 which is quite different than saying that we could end up as a top 3 team in the conference. if you don't feel like looking back, i'll paste it here

Here's a consistent message - the ceiling for this team is making the tournament and it will be more likely a function of how bad the conference is ex-Wisconsin than how good this team is if they do.

that contradicts the top 3 celing just a little bit, don't you think?

No I don't think it's contradictory in any way. It's different, but not materially and not remotely contradictory and I've already conceded that I misspoke there. And I said it over a month ago in another thread - probably the one where you were talking about making a run at the B1G title (remember that gem) but I'm not sure and I'm not going to go dig it up because I don't give a shit if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
No I don't think it's contradictory in any way. It's different, but not materially and not remotely contradictory and I've already conceded that I misspoke there. And I said it over a month ago in another thread - probably the one where you were talking about making a run at the B1G title (remember that gem) but I'm not sure and I'm not going to go dig it up because I don't give a shit if you don't believe me.

I can understand saying you misspoke but not when it's written

I do have to admit that your doubletalk could give netanyahu a run for his money, nice work.

I can understand saying you misspoke but not when it's written

I do have to admit that your doubletalk could give netanyahu a run for his money, nice work.

Like I said in my last post, I explained that I misspoke. I don't really care what you think about it.

Last edited:
Like I said in my last post, I don't care if you don't believe me.

it sounds like you misquoted yourself, I guess that threw me off. it's not like you'd revise your predictions to save face, right? I'll just assume that when you said their ceiling was to make the tourney you really meant that their ceiling was to finish in the top 3 in the big ten, I can see how you could easily mix that up.

Assume whatever you need to assume to feel like you won. I still don't care.

Last edited:
Assume whatever you need to assume to feel like you won. I still don't care.

I think you do care because you've replied a bunch of times, but go ahead and say that you don't to think that you've won.

there you go telling me what you think again, as if I give a shit. I don't think I won - I've known since page 8 of this thread...

Last edited:
there you go telling me what you think again, as if I give a shit. I don't think I won - I've known since page 8 of this thread...

What did you win? an award for saying something and backpedaling on that statement? congrats, your main point is that you didn't mean what you wrote, solid.

You know what I won and now you're just repeating the same nonsense to get the last word. It's as if you're saying it over and over in an attempt to convince yourself.

You know what I won and now you're just repeating the same nonsense to get the last word. It's as if you're saying it over and over in an attempt to convince yourself.

actually, explain your victory to me. this should be great, did you win in arguing that you didn't mean what you posted given the benefit of hindsight?

Back