Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Legendary All-Time Great Willie Mays Dies at 93

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Considered the greatest 5 tool player dies at 93. per the San Francisco Giants.

Willie was the last of the great Outfielders who played in the 50's 60's and 70's and joined Aaron, Mantle,
Frank Robinson, Kaline, and Clemente in the Baseball Heavens.

Willie Mays passes away at the age of 93 years old.
San Francisco Giants legend and Hall of Famer Willie Mays passes away at the age of 93.
MLB.com

Mays on his greatest catches.
Hall of Famer Willie Mays discusses his greatest catches, including his famous grab in the 1954 World Series.
MLB.com

24 amazing Willie Mays stats.
MLB.com

Mays' pure joy for baseball made him the GOAT.
MLB.com

Few have made the game look easier than "The Say Hey Kid". Willie Mays is a true legend. RIP Willie Mays.

RIP Mr Mays. I wish you could have been a tiger.
660 homers.
3293 hits, amassed 1,909 runs batted in and scored 2,068 runs. Mays' prowess with the bat was only matched by his ability to catch any baseball hit in his zip code !
I always loved looking at the back of his baseball card.

RIP. He's an all time great. I certainly wasn't alive to see him play, but I grew up playing baseball and hearing coaches/players referencing The Catch.

Had the privilege of seeing him in person at Tiger Stadium (his only appearance there) in the 1971 ASG. Can't tell you how many times myself and others imitated his basket catch in pickup baseball games. (we'd never dare try that in organized ball).

"This could be the start of something big."Ella Fitzgerald, the Queen of Jazz, was a dedicated & devoted baseball fan. Her signed baseball collection with autographs & baseballs from the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers, the San Francisco Giants & players of the 1984 All-Star Game resides in the Smithsonian Institute & the National Museum of American History.

Back