Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leyland retires....Now voted into Baseball Hall of Fame

Let's really go all in and have Rod Allen be manager. He has coaching experience, right? He has DET ties, right? He played on a World Series team, right?

I wouldn't mind gibby...I don't think....maybe. but ya ill probably hate him after a couple months.

Let's really go all in and have Rod Allen be manager. He has coaching experience, right? He has DET ties, right? He played on a World Series team, right?

He could get really mad at times and chase the umpire/opposing manager all over the infield and into the outfield once in a while to break up the monotony.

Kind if like the hot dog/sausage races, but with a bigger moron.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, Tony Pena, Kirk Gibson, Tom Brookens, and Brad Ausmus are the A list. Dusty Baker, Charlie Manual, Lamont, and McClendon will probably be interviewed. I would prefer Tony Pena but would have no issue with any of the names mentioned. Ausmus is a very intelligent person and would probably have the best interview. Gibson is a good manager and would be a great fit with this pitching staff but not sure if he could handle Miggy, Fielder, and Hunter.

I think Tony Pena is the next manager of the Tigers.

Last edited:
That press conference was great. I'll miss Leyland as a person and a clubhouse manager, but I definitely won't miss his game managing (I mean, unless they hire someone worse, like Baker or Lamont).

My choices to replace him would be Manny Acta or Brad Ausmus. I'll be seriously pissed off if they hire one of the wonder twins or Baker.

If they hire Lamont can it be with the provision that he is also the third base coach?

I wish Leyland the best with his new position as yet tbd. Good manager and was perfect for the team at the time. He did everything but win the world series. From the time of his hiring going back 20 years, not bad.
The leftover taste in my and some other fans' mouths is the problems he had managing a bullpen, and some lineups, sticking with players when they didn't have it.
I hope his health is ok, 2/3 packs a day is playing with fire/lungcancer.
The grind looked to take a toll on him last year, and as this year went on. He is not the kind to point fingers and throw anyone under the bus, players or a coach.
and I am in agreement, not wanting the two butt twins,

all this stuff with Miggy, and the trainer Kevin Rand saying the abdominal 'strain' would not get worse from 3 months ago, well if it was his alone or whoever else, might be a need for a change there as well.
Manager, coaches, trainer?, batting and 3rd base coach, not to mention players let go (Santiago + Kelly), non-tendered (Coke), arbitration, trades, free agents.....
Busy off season for DD and Mr. I.

Leyland said this will hurt for a long time in that we really let it get away..

I agree smoker..I will miss you believe it or not..to some degree

With Mattingly unsure if he wants to return to the Dodgers he may be another name that we should consider.

Would of been ideal honestly if we could have brought in Francona last season. I think he would of been a perfect fit for our ballclub.

I think Tony Pena is the next manager of the Tigers.

Would not shock me, for I have not especially liked any Dombrowski managerial pick yet.

Because the team is so top-tier and seasoned, he must pick a successful, experienced manager. He can't screw this up, not with all this talent and high payroll.

Dave's pick could be an experienced, successful minor league manager. But that guy must have served at least the past two years on a major league staff.

I don't want a manager that hasn't been around all 15 AL teams, at some point in his recent MLB tenure. The new manager must have some knowledge of rival players, their rival ballparks and what goes on day-to-day in the major leagues.

I certainly am no expert when it comes to picking a manager and won't pretend to be but I don't know if I would want Gibson. First I really don't like the idea of trying to connect the past to this team. I think that skews people's views because the have nostalgic memories of the past. And second, I have worries that he may be too intense??? It could very well work for this team but it's a very fine line between being an intense motivator and losing what we would consider a perfect clubhouse atmosphere. Plus didn't Gibby leave here on bad terms? He's not the most forgiving personality type.

And I don't think I want anyone currently on our staff.

Last edited:
Looks like former Bash Brother and spill the roider beans author Jose Canseco might be angling for the Tigers open managerial job?

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco

But then, he also tweeted earlier that he thinks that he should be named MLB Commish...lololo!! >:D

#can'ttellifserious

Like his idea of acquiring Balfour & Carlos Beltran, but maybe just a few years too late.

I certainly am no expert when it comes to picking a manager and won't pretend to be but I don't know if I would want Gibson. First I really don't like the idea of trying to connect the past to this team. I think that skews people's views because the have nostalgic memories of the past. And second, I have worries that he may be too intense??? It could very well work for this team but it's a very fine line between being an intense motivator and losing what we would consider a perfect clubhouse atmosphere. Plus didn't Gibby leave here on bad terms? He's not the most forgiving personality type.

And I don't think I want anyone currently on our staff.

Agree.

I also was not thrilled when Trammell was given the keys, simply because he was a Tigers hero. Gibson went to AZ and did all that on his own merits, he didn't have expectations to live up to like he would have in Detroit or LA. and that's what happened to Trammell, he was handed a team in poor shape and was expected to be a messiah because of what he did as a player, and probably never really for a fair shot at it.

Back