Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions look for RB in the draft

Yes Diggler I know you like Polk. You like to Polk people on Facebook. You like your Red Rider BB gun despite the fact that you might Polk your eye out. You once scored 4 touchdowns in a single game for Polk High. You like Polk.

With Best one hit away from retiring and LeShoure probably missing half the season suspended..wouldn't surprise me in the least if they took a RB 2nd or 3rd round...

Last edited:
Martin might not be there but if you had to chose between LaMichael James and Isiah Pead in the same slot, who do you take?

That is tough, I haven't seen much on James other than highlights, his size scares me a bit similar to Best, however he could return kicks and has good hands so there's that. He has had knee problems as well. I'd still go with Pead, however you have given me something to think about.

That is tough, I haven't seen much on James other than highlights, his size scares me a bit similar to Best, however he could return kicks and has good hands so there's that. He has had knee problems as well. I'd still go with Pead, however you have given me something to think about.

why the hell would you want James returning kicks ? you're just asking for another RB on the shelf with concussion issues.

In all honesty, I think Best-Leshoure-Smith are completely adequate backs as a group. Unless there is a huge fall (Richardson at 23 for example), I would rather take a developmental OG/OC than another RB. The fact is, there aren't holes for guys to run through in the first place. Getting a better back doesn't solve that issue in any way. Smith showed he can run if the holes are there (specifically because the opposing defense was terrible). Best showed he can break huge runs if we can actually get him running in space. The main concern is that we can't manufacture those things with any consistency because our O-line is terrible outside pass-pro.

In all honesty, I think Best-Leshoure-Smith are completely adequate backs as a group. Unless there is a huge fall (Richardson at 23 for example), I would rather take a developmental OG/OC than another RB. The fact is, there aren't holes for guys to run through in the first place. Getting a better back doesn't solve that issue in any way. Smith showed he can run if the holes are there (specifically because the opposing defense was terrible). Best showed he can break huge runs if we can actually get him running in space. The main concern is that we can't manufacture those things with any consistency because our O-line is terrible outside pass-pro.

So.. we're going to start the season with only Kevin smith available.. Best may last a quarter.

So.. we're going to start the season with only Kevin smith available.. Best may last a quarter.

So....you wanna draft a guy for 4 games while Leshoure is suspended?

If they draft someone, it isn't because of Leshoure's potential suspension or uncertain health early on. Its because, even if he's healthy, they want another runner two or three years down the road to pair with him (meaning they don't trust Best). I've read that many in the organization don't trust Best, so its completely reasonable.

Personally, I want them to take another runner. But it doesn't have to be this year. If someone is available at great value, good. Otherwise, I don't have a problem rolling with Leshoure, Best, and Smith for this year and then re-evaluating after. Our offense wasn't the problem last year...

People on this board overreact to the RB situation. Yes, they have an unsettled future at RB. They also have ONLY two RFAs (Spievey, Berry) next year in their secondary, three D-Lineman (KVB, Suh, Fairley) under contract and one RFA (Young), and one starting LB (Tulloch) and an unknown 5th rounder (Hogue) under contract. And remember, the offense, with just Smith, wasn't the problem last year.

The future of that defense is way more unsettled than the RB group. I don't see why people seem to think its MANDATORY to take a RB. Just about every spot on defense is just as dire, if not more.

People on this board overreact to the RB situation. Yes, they have an unsettled future at RB. They also have ONLY two RFAs (Spievey, Berry) next year in their secondary, three D-Lineman (KVB, Suh, Fairley) under contract and one RFA (Young), and one starting LB (Tulloch) and an unknown 5th rounder (Hogue) under contract. And remember, the offense, with just Smith, wasn't the problem last year.

The future of that defense is way more unsettled than the RB group. I don't see why people seem to think its MANDATORY to take a RB. Just about every spot on defense is just as dire, if not more.

Record 10-6

5-0 with an RB that has talent. 5-6 without. Tell me it doesn't make a difference.

ya....I'd rather not have my QB winging it 50 times a game.

Record 10-6

5-0 with an RB that has talent. 5-6 without. Tell me it doesn't make a difference.

Best played against SF. And he doesn't play defense. Injuries to the secondary hurt the team much, much more.

Usually, his high #s came when the defense but the team in a big hole early.
Minnesota: 46
Dallas: 43
Chicago: 63
Oakland: 52
Green Bay: 59

You can spin it any way you want. If the defense is giving up lots of points, it doesn't matter who their RB is, Stafford will be passing a lot.

Best played against SF. And he doesn't play defense. Injuries to the secondary hurt the team much, much more.

Newsflash our secondary was always garbage. Of course there are contributing factors to W-L and # of passes thrown but bottom line you need some talent at RB to keep the Defense honest. Best was someone they had to account for, trot out Turf Monster and our 32nd ranked run blocking oline and Surgeon General's Warning: This product may be bad for Matt Stafford's health.

Usually, his high #s came when the defense but the team in a big hole early.
Minnesota: 46
Dallas: 43
Chicago: 63
Oakland: 52
Green Bay: 59

You can spin it any way you want. If the defense is giving up lots of points, it doesn't matter who their RB is, Stafford will be passing a lot.

If you have a strong running game you can use the clock to keep them off the field and rest your d.. its a two way street.

why the hell would you want James returning kicks ? you're just asking for another RB on the shelf with concussion issues.

You're right that wouldn't be the greatest idea. But surely We can find someone better than Logan right?

Our run game was worse than shit last year, only reason we got any yards was because no one cared if we ran. We need a RB, just not early.

Well put. Id like to see the Lions offense be alot more balanced this year, and honestly dont see that happening with the runningbacks they have. I would not mind seeing the Lions go for a rb early on in the draft.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/02/detroit_lions_run_game_ranks_a.html

You wanna cut down on passing attempts, how about you stop forcing our offense to score 35-40 pts. How did the Giants win the Super Bowl with that run game?

You people keep scapegoating our RBs. No, they're not great, but they're effective if there's somewhere to run. Our o-line doesn't create any holes. If you guys think some third rounder is gonna come in and change anything, you're dreaming. There's a myth that you can find great running backs late, but its complete bullshit.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6389978

You wanna seriously improve the run game? 2 options:
1. Find a super elite running back who can run well regardless of the o-line. There are 3-4 of these in the league right now. If Mayhew can find one, go get him.

2. Improve the o-line.

Seriously though, all we're looking for here is New England/Green Bay effectiveness. If anyone here thinks Detroit is paying Stafford and CJ insane money so we can be a power run team, you're dreaming. Its a passing league, Detroit will pass. Teams with elite passing games AND effective run games also have great interior lineman.

Unless Mayhew can acquire an elite running back (I'm all for it if he does), a mid-round RB isn't gonna change much in Detroit. I think, the past two years, he really thought he was drafting an elite RB. We may never truly know with Leshoure. Best has flashed dynamic ability but he's obviously not reliable. But Super Bowl winning teams don't NEED elite RBs. The guys we have can be very effective. If the Lions were to improve the o-line, I think Smith, Leshoure, and Best would be just fine.

Last edited:
Back