Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions look for RB in the draft

If baseball pitchers are tossing 100 pitches a game every 4 or 5 days, Stafford can throw more than 50 times per game without any concern other than being hit by the D, so potentially the solution is to improve the OL and make certain they have a RB who excels at pass protection/blitz recognition and catching swing/dump passes more than actual running ability.

Even if the D improves and reduces the PA (which IMO should be the #1 concern for management and coaches), it does not neccesitate Stafford throws less. IMO, I prefer to keep the pedal to the metal and beat teams by 4+ TDs than have potential for 4th quarter comebacks against the Lions. Plus at that point they can bring in the 2nd and 3rd string guys to give them game minutes and rest the 1st string. I'd rather that than have the run game take over to eat clock only to punt the ball back and give the opponent life. Go down the field and score another TD to kill any chance of a comeback instead, and give Stafford a shot at 6000 yds and 60 TDs...which is why they do - and will continue to - pay him the big bucks.

If baseball pitchers are tossing 100 pitches a game every 4 or 5 days, Stafford can throw more than 50 times per game without any concern other than being hit by the D, so potentially the solution is to improve the OL and make certain they have a RB who excels at pass protection/blitz recognition and catching swing/dump passes more than actual running ability.

Even if the D improves and reduces the PA (which IMO should be the #1 concern for management and coaches), it does not neccesitate Stafford throws less. IMO, I prefer to keep the pedal to the metal and beat teams by 4+ TDs than have potential for 4th quarter comebacks against the Lions. Plus at that point they can bring in the 2nd and 3rd string guys to give them game minutes and rest the 1st string. I'd rather that than have the run game take over to eat clock only to punt the ball back and give the opponent life. Go down the field and score another TD to kill any chance of a comeback instead, and give Stafford a shot at 6000 yds and 60 TDs...which is why they do - and will continue to - pay him the big bucks.

Have you heard of Mlive?

Trent Richardson?

He's a beast, no doubt, but it would probably cost 3 first rounders. Atlanta paid two firsts, a third, and fifth to move up to #6. This year, you're moving to 3 or 4 for Trent. And I doubt Cleveland would trade down that far two years in a row. I'm betting they're regretting their deal last year (I'd take Julio over Phil Taylor, Greg Little, a first, and a fifth). They won't trade down far enough to miss out on both Trent and Justin Blackmon. And Minny isn't gonna give Trent to Detroit unless they're paying a ransom. I love the guy but its probably not happening.

If Mayhew thinks someone else in this draft is super elite, and can get him, take him. I'm all for it. But a mid-round talent probably isn't gonna change this run game when the o-line doesn't produce holes. Defense/O-line are bigger needs than RB.

I hear what you're saying. But some degree of balance makes the offense more effective. Easier to defend a 1-dimensional team.

But thats easier said than done. People simply dump the issue on the RBs. We can have an effective run game with our current stable of RBs if we improve the interior of the o-line. The best offenses in the league (New England, New Orleans, Green Bay) have great qbs and great interior lineman. We have a QB, now we need the lineman.

True and True. The RB suck and even with a new OL would probably still suck but I would still like some new T and G this draft. But the defense still has holes, I would not mind our first 3 picks, CB CB S. I'd be fine with that.. In fact I might be hoping for that.

True and True. The RB suck and even with a new OL would probably still suck but I would still like some new T and G this draft. But the defense still has holes, I would not mind our first 3 picks, CB CB S. I'd be fine with that.. In fact I might be hoping for that.

1st round will be DE, OL or CB for sure., I cant see any other option

Gilmore is up. Kirkpatrick wont fall that far. Unless someone wants glenn at tackle, I think theres a solid chance he is there at 23 because he is a guard

I know he can. But is he a first round prospect at tackle? Or a first round guard who can also play tackle? That is key

at a minimum he is replacing Gosder in 2013 full time and that is one player we dont need to give a second contract to

Glenn wont be around at 23....the Bills are in love with him at 10 and if they take Rieff instead he wont get past Arizona.

Last edited:
Yep. I've gotten past the fact that he won't be around. Too bad, he would bring balance to the force that is our running game. Or once was.. Long ago

Glenn wont be around at 23....the Bills are in love with him at 10 and if they take Rieff instead he wont get past Arizona.

NFL network thinks he has a chance to fall out of the 1st round....who knows, but with the 2 DB's falling and Martin.... its not trending in the right direction. Although, I cant see him going before 18(SD)

NFL network thinks he has a chance to fall out of the 1st round....who knows, but with the 2 DB's falling and Martin.... its not trending in the right direction. Although, I cant see him going before 18(SD)

With how dominant he was last season and how great his combine was? Those analyst are bat shit crazy if they really think he'll fall out of the 1st.

With how dominant he was last season and how great his combine was? Those analyst are bat shit crazy if they really think he'll fall out of the 1st.

latest he gets snapped up is Chicago......Buffalo , Arizona , SD , Cincy are aslo ahead of us and looking OLINE.

Back