Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

more Hokeness

Thank you. It's obvious neither of the last two coaches were/are cut out for the job here. Rich didn't do himself any favors by being an ass and alienating people. If you do that you have to win.

Maybe the biggest difference between now and RR's last year is the level of apathy. I don't think there was ever this much pessimism (or general disinterest, which is just as bad) when Rich Rod was here. But that's the result of failure over time, over multiple head coaches, and is probably equally attributable to both guys.

Best moment of the season by far? Brandon's firing. And that's sad to think about.

Agree with this

I think the apathy is that it has been 7 years of this wandering

And while not wild about rr or joke hire, I wonder how any can find a coach that wins like Meyer or Saban. We aren't the only ones wondering where we are going - several schools are wandering in the desert

Pretty sure Brandon amplified the apathy by raising fix prices while agreeing to a BS schedule that held zero interest for most in terms of home games, regardless of how good or bad the team ended up being.

Everyone is a booster and maybe some donors wanted him out
I think it was still more Dave who was anti rich for a while

I think there was just a split within various factions and it was probably 50-50

Rich had done some things that didn't endear himself for support but I still think it was no one group or,faction. A lot was Dave

And ....a LOT of former players. RR didn't endear himself to the former players very well and MANY were vocal about it. DB and Hoke reclaimed the connection - for a time - and at least acknowledged it existed.

Said it before, I will again - the most analogous situation for RR at UM was Callahan at Nebraska. He tried to run a pass-oriented offense that was ill suited for the conference and weather in Lincoln. He upset alumni, former players and fans and then Dr Tom 'hide the gun' Osborne came riding in on a white horse and saved NU.

Pelini is relatively more successful than Hoke, but folks in Lincoln seem similar to folks in A2 these days.

Last edited:
Agree with this

I think the apathy is that it has been 7 years of this wandering

And while not wild about rr or joke hire, I wonder how any can find a coach that wins like Meyer or Saban. We aren't the only ones wondering where we are going - several schools are wandering in the desert

Wandering in the desert? Like Bedouins?

People seem to be forgetting the exact circumstances of RRs departure. the overwhelming majority of fans wanted him gone... Even the dumbasses who keep pointing out his record at AZ. We had just lost to Miss St. 52-14 in the Gator Bowl. Remember that? You guys remember that right? That vaunted offense that was "improving" had just put up a whopping 14 pts and 7 against ohio the week before. The last two games of richrods tenure we were out scored 89-21.

I don't remember ANYONE defending him at that point.

You're absolutely right. RichRod was a disaster and so is Hoke.

Rich Rod helped lead Michigan to having the most pathetic defense in Michigan history. I'm sick of Michigan fans acting like Michigan messed up by firing him. The defense gave up over 35 PPG in his last year. Vomit.

Last two coaches have been disasters. They both did it in their own unique way.

Rich Rod helped lead Michigan to having the most pathetic defense in Michigan history. I'm sick of Michigan fans acting like Michigan messed up by firing him. The defense gave up over 35 PPG in his last year. Vomit.

And this is a pretty new thing. Usually the remark begins with, "well at least with Rich Rod we didn't ..."

MGoBrian's message board is chock full of those types of M fans

I would rather not go back now and argue over RR and whether he should or shouldn't have been fired. Seems like it is going back and rehashing an old relationship with a former wife or girlfriend. Some focus on the good times others on the bad. In reality it is a mix of both good and bad. More bad than good. This goes for both RR and Hoke. I just want to move on and put the whole painful experience behind me, and hope for a brighter future.

I would rather not go back now and argue over RR and whether he should or shouldn't have been fired. Seems like it is going back and rehashing an old relationship with a former wife or girlfriend. Some focus on the good times others on the bad. In reality it is a mix of both good and bad. More bad than good. This goes for both RR and Hoke. I just want to move on and put the whole painful experience behind me, and hope for a brighter future.

Actually, what I think we should do is fixate on what would've happened if Rich Rod had been given that fourth year.

Because it's a really fucking important discussion.

And this is a pretty new thing. Usually the remark begins with, "well at least with Rich Rod we didn't ..."

MGoBrian's message board is chock full of those types of M fans

yep, that message board is full of these types of fans, but this one isn't, which is why I just don't get some posters here always talking about these types of fans. Champ has stated a lot that he doesn't read mgoblog, but he talks about the posters there an awful lot.

I think this board is pretty on board with the idea that Rich Rod had his chance and blew it. I don't see any Rich Rod apologists on here. Sure, there were some that wanted him to succeed when he was here, but i can't remember anyone thinking that he should've stayed any longer than the bowl game loss to Miss St.

I've always said I find MGoBlog a good resource for info but that the message board community is a bunch of dorks who tend to whine a lot..

While I might not like a coach choice, I do want my program to succeed and hence the coach

Mgoblog just got a bit obnoxious after a while

Back