Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

PC Culture Says "Lynch" is Racist

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
This shit is out of control. I am so glad that I was born before this current generation of college kids. Embarrassing.

http://triblive.com/opinion/editorials/9605185-74/lynch-college-lebanon#axzz3uJigjRzz

Student sensitivities, absent of any sensibilities, have been “assaulted” by the name “Lynch” on a campus building at Pennsylvania's Lebanon Valley College.

Some students find the name to be racially intolerable, regardless of who the building's namesake was or his efforts to sustain the private college through the Great Depression. But the aggrieved are willing to compromise: Rather than chisel away the name, they're OK if the person's first name and middle initial are added to Lynch Memorial Hall.

How stunningly broad-minded. Even the proudest parents must be pondering why they're wasting college tuition on hypersensitive dolts so far removed from reality.

Dr. Clyde A. Lynch served as Lebanon Valley's president from 1932 to 1950 and helped raise $550,000 for a physical education building that was named for him after his death. He was as far removed from Southern lynch mobs as anyone could be. But apparently that's not far enough for some fragile young minds.

We wonder if any of the offended can name the sitting U.S. attorney general.

Good grief. Lebanon Valley College officials should use this sad exercise in educated moronism as a teaching moment to tell these students to grow up and to use their brains.

That's fantastic. I can only imagine the outcry if current Memphis fans on draft day descend upon the NFL draft and form a Lynch Mob. The riots that would ensue could start a war!

Actually, I would love to see an episode of blackish that centers on this, I bet that would be funny as hell. They do great work with this type of material. Maybe Tinsel can use his contacts to make that happen.

Some students find the name to be racially intolerable, regardless of who the building's namesake was or his efforts to sustain the private college through the Great Depression. But the aggrieved are willing to compromise: Rather than chisel away the name, they're OK if the person's first name and middle initial are added to Lynch Memorial Hall.

Is the building still at gym?

Maybe they should change the name from "Lynch Memorial" to "Clyde A Memorial."

That would both remove the offensive word but still honor the guy.

Plus it would open the door for some cool nicknames like "CAM Hall" or simply "the Cam."

"I'm about to go hit the cam for a workout."

"I met this hot chick while I was working out at the cam."

If the students wanted to get edgy they could call it "fuckin' A Hall."

Is the building still at gym?

Maybe they should change the name from "Lynch Memorial" to "Clyde A Memorial."

That would both remove the offensive word but still honor the guy.

Plus it would open the door for some cool nicknames like "CAM Hall" or simply "the Cam."

"I'm about to go hit the cam for a workout."

"I met this hot chick while I was working out at the cam."

If the students wanted to get edgy they could call it "fuckin' A Hall."

Why change the name? It's a name, not a way to describe what they want to do to black people. It's hypersensitive children who are offended by everything.

We better have the Attorney General change her last name as well, remove the word from the lexicon in it's entirely.

/s

Then we need to come up with a new way to describe a lynch mob. Just saying mob won't work. Maybe a hanging mob? Then we can remove the word hanging. Maybe "hung" mob....surely they would laugh at the premise of the males in the mob defined as "hung" right? So instead of feelings of negativity toward blacks, the blacks can laugh at the whites for claiming to be hung.

Why change the name? It's a name, not a way to describe what they want to do to black people. It's hypersensitive children who are offended by everything.

I just think "the CAM" would be a cool name for a place to work out. If I were going to school there, I'd like to be able to say that I was going to go work out at "the CAM."

They are really not changing the name; in all reality the official name of the building probably does include the guys full name already; that's how it usually works with memorials that I'm famiar with.

The complaints are a little silly to begin with; but I see the outcome as being "no blood-no foul."

Then we need to come up with a new way to describe a lynch mob. Just saying mob won't work. Maybe a hanging mob? Then we can remove the word hanging. Maybe "hung" mob....surely they would laugh at the premise of the males in the mob defined as "hung" right? So instead of feelings of negativity toward blacks, the blacks can laugh at the whites for claiming to be hung.

Da Lynch Mob would disagree and blast your white ass with an AK .

I just think "the CAM" would be a cool name for a place to work out. If I were going to school there, I'd like to be able to say that I was going to go work out at "the CAM."

They are really not changing the name; in all reality the official name of the building probably does include the guys full name already; that's how it usually works with memorials that I'm famiar with.

The complaints are a little silly to begin with; but I see the outcome as being "no blood-no foul."

I think it'd be a cool name, too, but caving into childish fits like this sets a bad precedent. It says, anything that offends you in the slightest way, we'll bend over and take it up the ass to placate you. I guess changing the name isn't a huge deal, but it just seems wrong to give into this shit.

"Your name is John! I call the toilet a 'John'. Therefore, you are a toilet. You should change your name." - This sounds ridiculous.

I think it'd be a cool name, too, but caving into childish fits like this sets a bad precedent. It says, anything that offends you in the slightest way, we'll bend over and take it up the ass to placate you. I guess changing the name isn't a huge deal, but it just seems wrong to give into this shit.

Yes but I think in this case they are really not changing the name.

Probably the official name of the building includes the guys full name and so they're just going to start referring to it by its actual official name.

I get it's pretty dumb, but in this case I think it's also a nonevent.

In Grad School we had to come up with a name for our 'company' so one group member who'd been to Africa suggested a name/word that in Swahili meant something like 'peace'

But, another classmate in the group who was from somewhere in Asia objected because the word in Swahili when pronounced in her language roughly meant 'rotten meat'

In Grad School we had to come up with a name for our 'company' so one group member who'd been to Africa suggested a name/word that in Swahili meant something like 'peace'

But, another classmate in the group who was from somewhere in Asia objected because the word in Swahili when pronounced in her language roughly meant 'rotten meat'

Did you end up naming the company "Piece of Rotten Meat" just in English?

Because I would have seen it as a sign.

Isn't that a delicacy in England or Scotland or somewhere?

I don't think so.

In various parts of the world people eat some crap that really sounds disgusting to us, but if it's meat and it's not fresh it's potentially very unhealthy to consume no matter what it is.

Did you end up naming the company "Piece of Rotten Meat" just in English?

Because I would have seen it as a sign.

I can't remember anymore ..that was probably 2002. I do recall a girl in the group named Katie whose sister was at M when i was and who I knew. Katie had gone to Miami(OH). Very cute and smart, moved to NYC after MBA. Bet she's pretty successful.

Not sure if she like haggis

Last edited:
I heard on the Howard Stern show that now the term "hard worker" is objectionable because it "demeans the experience of slaves"

Sure enough, I googled it and several articles came up.

WTF??

I heard on the Howard Stern show that now the term "hard worker" is objectionable because it "demeans the experience of slaves"

Sure enough, I googled it and several articles came up.

WTF??

Melissa Harris perry. Same dummy that recently claimed star wars is racist because Vader is in all black, with a black voice, but a white actor inside. She should have been fired a long time ago.

Back