Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Red Wings acquire David Legwand

I think its probably a decent move. Not the player he once was but gives us 3 very good centers and faceoff guys.

Not sure about it... Trading for a 33 year old and giving up a younger kid who was doing decent in Grand Rapids..Jarnkrok had 13 goals and 23 assists in 57 games.. I guess it is ok..

The Wings actually have depth in the minors so we can afford to deal some away. And rumor has it that the kid we dealt really wants to go back and play in Sweden.

As long as it wasn't mantha I'm happy. A lot of people were calling jarnkrok the next Zetterberg, but I'm not so sure.... besides we weren't getting anything out of him for a year or two and we went and got the play making center we are lacking do to injury. Great trade imo.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Tapatalk

Wow. I hate this deal. Polie got the far better end of it while getting his wish of not repeating what happened with Ryan Suter. A rent-a-player for a good prospect that are too rare to trade for guys like Legwand, even if that prospect bolts for Sweden after this season.

Uh so byco you're saying you wouldn't give up eaves and a 3rd for Legwand? And who is to say he is as rent a player? This is the guys home town and we have plenty of space and he is a quality player who hasn't been injured much the past three years which seems to be our problem lately

Last edited:
Uh so byco you're saying you wouldn't give up eaves and a 3rd for Legwand? And who is to say he is as rent a player? This is the guys home town and we have plenty of space and he is a quality player who hasn't been injured much the past three years which seems to be our problem lately

But they also gave up a young kid also.... Who is to know if he stays or goes home... I am ok with the deal because we needed something but I watched him last night and he looked like he was getting pushed around pretty easy last night... We needed a goal scorer or a lock down defensemen to help these kids we have... All we do is give up leads after leads after leads..

Last edited:
Uh so byco you're saying you wouldn't give up eaves and a 3rd for Legwand?
That was not the deal.

And who is to say he is as rent a player? This is the guys home town and we have plenty of space and he is a quality player who hasn't been injured much the past three years which seems to be our problem lately

I give you his durability--which is a real factor with 20-odd games left. It's a short-term, desperation move where the Wings gave up a promising player, now with no hope of playing in Detroit.

Uh so byco you're saying you wouldn't give up eaves and a 3rd for Legwand?
That was not the deal.

I give you his durability--which is a real factor with 20-odd games left. It's a short-term, desperation move where the Wings gave up a promising player, now with no hope of playing in Detroit.

Jarnkrok wasn't going to see the ice in Detroit either way, whether he stayed or left. We needed help right now and Legwand provides that.... I can't believe in any way that you have watched these past 2 games at all because the line of Franzen Nyquist and Legwand has been amazing right off the bat which is kind of unheard of. And again I ask you, HOW the hell do you know that they can't resign him? Looks like he is having fun out their and we could use a player like him long term and have the money to do it.

Last edited:
Plus he is from Grosse Pointe also... He looked real good last night...

I like Legwand's game a whole lot, and he has looked very nice as a Wing so far, but this was not a great trade for us.

Regardless of what happens with Jarnkrok (goes to Sweden, stays, fails, succeeds), not only did we give up him, but we also gave up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a 33 year old who plays the same position as Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Weiss/Helm/Sheahan/Glendening/Andersson/etc. Yes, a majority of those guys are hurt, but they'll be back, and then what?

Is the fact that Legwand is likely to re-sign with us really such a good thing? I say no. Like I said, I like his game but we're in somewhat of a youth movement here and there's only so many roster spots to go around. The only way this would be a good thing for us is if we were somehow able to rid ourselves of Weiss's freshly-signed contract in which we owe $20M over the next 4 seasons after this one. Other than that, we have a bad logjam.

If the Wings sign Legwand after this season I will be extremely disappointed. More so than when they traded for him in the first place.

Last edited:
So basically Holland gave away a 2/3 round pick (likely 3rd) and our top Center prospect, Eaves for a Legwand rental just to keep the playoff streak alive which they still might miss out.

What a GARBAGE deal, Holland needs to go, the game has passed him by.

So basically Holland gave away a 2/3 round pick (likely 3rd) and our top Center prospect, Eaves for a Legwand rental just to keep the playoff streak alive which they still might miss out.

What a GARBAGE deal, Holland needs to go, the game has passed him by.

If you think Legwand is the reason why the Wings will make the playoffs, I give you Nyquist ? the guy who was in GR for 15 games while Dan Cleary was two-footing it out there.

And if Holland thought that Legwand was going to elevate the play of this team, he IS a garbage GM and SHOULD go.

Back