Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rumor: AJax for Gardner?!?!?

spockmaster

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/al-central-notes-jackson-pelfrey-butler-marcum.html

The Tigers have discussed trading Austin Jackson to the Yankees in exchange for Brett Gardner, Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports. Both players have been above-average fielders in center over their careers and have comparable career batting lines, though Gardner is a better base-stealer and Jackson has more doubles pop. Jackson turns 27 in February, is projected to earn $5.3MM in his second year of arbitration eligibility and he'll hit free agency after the 2015 season; the 30-year-old Gardner is projected to earn $4MM and he'll be a free agent next winter. I'm not sure this deal makes sense for the Tigers unless they don't think they can sign Jackson (a Scott Boras client) to an extension, or if they aren't interested in extending Jackson. From the Yankees' side, they like Gardner enough that they probably wouldn't move him for a very similar player, albeit a younger one.

DOMBROWSKI, IF YOU DO THIS YOU CAN GO FUCK YOURSELF FOREVER IN AN INFINTE LOOP OF FUCKING YOURSELF

edit: it seems harsh, but theres seriously no fucking reason to do this. if we do it, its a blatant admission that his main (if not his sole) goal this offseason was trimming payroll wherever he could, especially future payroll.

Last edited:
That trade makes no sense unless DD has suddenly become totally obsessed with adding speed to the Tigers roster, regardless of the player's capabilities (or the lack thereof) on offense

Oh, wait...

That trade makes no sense unless DD has suddenly become totally obsessed with adding speed to the Tigers roster, regardless of the player's capabilities (or the lack thereof) on offense

Oh, wait...

normally, id agree, but since ajax has some speed of his own (though not necessarily the baserunning skills), this would be all about trading one guy for a similar guy who is slightly cheaper and under contract for one less year. gardner is a better baserunner than ajax and may or may not be better on defense depending how you look at it, but id bet anything it would be the money.

Last edited:
Honestly I wouldn't even put much weight into this rumor because the only reason the Yankees would even consider trading Gardner is because they have a surplus of Outfielders. They already have Ellsbury, Beltran, Ichiro, Soriano and Gardner and Wells. They have major holes in the starting rotation and bullpen and second base and really at this point the only trade chip they have to upgrade any of those positions would be Gardner so to think they would trade him for yet ANOTHER outfielder is crazy at this point.

Oh yeah let's not forget they already reportedly turned down a Gardner for Phillips deal which honestly would of made for a better trade to fill a need than Jackson so I think there is a good chance they don't trade Gardner at least for now.

Last edited:
But again the point I made in another post about Jackson the Tigers have to really start contemplating moving him while he is under team control for the next 2 seasons because I don't envision the Tigers giving him and Boras the type of contract they are going to command on the open market come the end of the 2015 season.

Last edited:
Apparently we are looking to build a track team. I wonder how much it would take to sign Usain Bolt too.

Something odd is going on with the Tigers this offseason, and it appears that there are at least several factors that could be in play speculatively, such as the owner Mike Ilitch's influence and control over the franchise's direction and spending having significantly been lessened, if not totally removed by a member or members of his family, The result of losing the ALCS and then soon after Leyland retiring has caused DD to take advantage of a new-school, younger manager and coaching staff by going in another direction, obtaining cheaper and much more risky players,, many who need to be role players & who don't fit the mold of former deals and acquisitions. that Leyland might have been loathe to utilize the way that they intend them to be. Whether or not Ausmus has had any say or was consulted prior to each acquisition is of course unknown at this point, or at least I have not read anything from him about how he views the off-season changes to the roster so far.

Last edited:
Something odd is going on with the Tigers this offseason, and it appears that there are at least several factors that could be in play speculatively, such as the owner Mike Ilitch's influence and control over the franchise's direction and spending having significantly been lessened, if not totally removed by a member or members of his family, The result of losing the ALCS and then soon after Leyland retiring has caused DD to take advantage of a new-school, younger manager and coaching staff by going in another direction, obtaining cheaper and much more risky players,, many who need to be role players & who don't fit the mold of former deals and acquisitions. that Leyland might have been loathe to utilize the way that they intend them to be. Whether or not Ausmus has had any say or was consulted prior to each acquisition is of course unknown at this point, or at least I have not read anything from him about how he views the off-season changes to the roster so far.

I was thinking that there was a strong "possibility" that Ausmus had swayed someone to follow this new direction.

If the Tigers don't make the playoffs next year, how many here will "blame" Ausmus?

I was thinking that there was a strong "possibility" that Ausmus had swayed someone to follow this new direction.

If the Tigers don't make the playoffs next year, how many here will "blame" Ausmus?

Probably not as many as there are who still would blame Dombrowski, unless Ausmus publicly reveals the degree of his input into these moves during ST or sooner.

Last edited:

hell....as soon as the Tigers lose their first game there will be a "FIRE AUSMUS" thread!

Found a rather ridiculous article this morning

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/a...00122?story_article_yb_original_head_15300122

"The Yankees and Tigers appear to be on two separate missions this winter, but they could come together for one deal. No, the Yankees won’t be getting a starting pitcher they still need and the Tigers wouldn’t be receiving power to help fill the void of Prince Fielder‘s departure to Texas, nor would they get a late inning arm to replace Joaquin Benoit (and setup for Joe Nathan).

Instead, New York and Detroit have been rumored to be in talks about swapping two out fielders, in this case, Brett Gardner and former Yankees’ prospect, Austin Jackson.

And the deal would make sense for both sides.

Jackson is expected to make over $5 million after arbitration and will be a free agent after 2015. At 27-years-old, he is headed into his prime and will be turning 29 as a Boras client when he enters Free Agency. Regardless of who ends up with him, Jackson is unlikely to play there in 2016.

He’s fast and one of the best defensive outfielders in the game, offering some pop which should improve when he’s another year older and moving out of the spacious stadium Detroit plays in.

The Yankees would get a player with two years left on his contract, completing an outfield of: Ellsbury, Jackson and Beltran for the 2015 season. A month ago, New York had no outfielders under contract through 2015 and with this deal, they would only need a right fielder to play when Beltran DH’d.

It would only cost the Yankees an extra million for 2014, in a year they are conscious of payroll (at least somewhat) but they would get a cheap center or left fielder for 2015. With the acquisition of Jacoby Ellsbury, New York gained a huge speed threat but with the exit of Curtis Granderson, lost a lot of power. Between Beltran and Jackson, the Yankees would have a better balance in the outfield between power and speed.

For Detroit, it’s clear they’re looking to move money any way they can as evidenced by trading Doug Fister and Prince Fielder. The Tigers would be getting one of the few comparable players to Jackson’s skill-set, sacrificing some power for more speed. Gardner is older but still in his prime and a superior base runner to Jackson.

Having Gardner and Rajai Davis at the top of the lineup would cause nightmares with Miguel Cabrera batting third. It would be maximizing the speed game in a huge ballpark and Gardner could hit 15 triples and steal 45 bases if he stays healthy.

Gardner is due around $4 million this year, so the Tigers would not only save a million dollars, but also gain a draft pick since it could offer Gardner a QO he would be unlikely to accept at the end of the year. Jackson’s power at Yankee Stadium could improve slightly (even though it’s more of a left-handed dream park) and New York would have a player an extra year and then they too, could gain a pick after the 2015 season.

It’s a deal where both sides would benefit if they could convince themselves swapping two players at the same position makes sense."

I don't mind getting a speedier team..base to base was a bit annoying. But he still traded a very good starTing pitcher for a bench player and a couple loogys.

Please don't let this happen. Who would play center field if Gardner comes here? I wouldn't have been opposed to trading for Gardner to play LF alongside Jackson, but definitely not a straight up swap.

Please don't let this happen. Who would play center field if Gardner comes here? I wouldn't have been opposed to trading for Gardner to play LF alongside Jackson, but definitely not a straight up swap.

Choo?

What is wrong with Gardner playing CF? He actually has more value as a CFer than being a LFer.

What is wrong with Gardner playing CF? He actually has more value as a CFer than being a LFer.

I thought he wasn't supposed to be a good defender? Playing good defense in CF at Comerica is obviously very important. I didn't take a look at any kind of stats for him, so if he can play CF adequately then that's good.

I still don't like the potential trade though.

AFAIK Gardner is an outstanding defender.

But it still seems like a stupid move. Trading Jackson with 2 years, for Gardner with 1 year. There is no serious gain to be had for either side by the swap, so why do it at all?

I thought he wasn't supposed to be a good defender? Playing good defense in CF at Comerica is obviously very important. I didn't take a look at any kind of stats for him, so if he can play CF adequately then that's good.

I still don't like the potential trade though.

Gardner is probably better defensively in CF than Jackson.

Gardner is probably better defensively in CF than Jackson.

Interesting. I guess I had the perception that he was more of a Johnny Damon type. Thumb is right though, the deal still doesn't make much sense to me if its just a player for player swap.

Back