Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rumor: AJax for Gardner?!?!?

in 3 pitches? I said he was a more professional AB....I never said he doesn't strikeout. Ajax was one of the worst hitters in postseason baseball last season....ever.

All of you against this rumored trade....answer me 1 question. What does Ajax provide over Gardner? Cause the only thing ive seen anyone say is power lmaoaoaoaoa bwahahahahahaha.....the guy that hit 12 homeruns and 0 homeruns in the postseason.....and youll miss his power? fucking A....

Time to give up when you can't even recall what you said or didn't say.

Also, Ajax hits for higher average, far more slugging which translates to a higher OPS, Gardner hits for .08 higher OBP which is negligible considering Ajax obviously gets more bases. So there is not just 1, but 3 things. Gardner is a better baserunner, but we just loaded up on "baserunners" so why do we need Gardner, for 1 year..when we have Ajax for 2.

If he knows he's not resigning him I don't see the harm in moving him for a cheaper option that is a more professional ab in the lineup, a better base stealer and you still get an above avg defender in return while youtry to find your long term answer.

He's younger so you would expect more future years of production from Ajax.

that's the thing...IFFFF DD is looking to trade him....he has no future here. They tried him at lead off and it didn't pan out. Gardner wouldn't be a long term answer either....but hes practically the same player, costs less, and he wouldn't be around for 2 years. Gardner is a good short term solution if DD is done pretending Ajax is ever going to develop.

Time to give up when you can't even recall what you said or didn't say.

Also, Ajax hits for higher average, far more slugging which translates to a higher OPS, Gardner hits for .08 higher OBP which is negligible considering Ajax obviously gets more bases. So there is not just 1, but 3 things. Gardner is a better baserunner, but we just loaded up on "baserunners" so why do we need Gardner, for 1 year..when we have Ajax for 2.

looks the same to me...you even highlighted it for me....He takes pitches and when ive watched him hes been a tough out. I don't know what advanced metrics stats they have to show that.....but I can tell you if you are looking for a lineup that features more professional ABs...then Ajax isn't your guy.

Last 3 years Away

Jackson 82.2 RC/650 .266 BAVG .330 OBP .423 SLG .753 OPS 12.2 PA/BB 41.0 PA/HR

Gardner 82.0 RC/650 .268 BAVG .340 OBP .388 SLG .728 OPS 11.9 PA/BB 124.6 PA/HR

On average, in a park neutral environment, Jackson is going to hit about 16 Home Runs, where Gardner will hit you 5 Home Runs.

Gardner and Jackson are basically the same production on offense. Gardner is better on defense. Jackson is 3 years younger, but under team control for another year.

Anyone that wants Gardner is just wanting change for change sake.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -- William Paley

Last 3 years Away

Jackson 82.2 RC/650 .266 BAVG .330 OBP .423 SLG .753 OPS 12.2 PA/BB 41.0 PA/HR

Gardner 82.0 RC/650 .268 BAVG .340 OBP .388 SLG .728 OPS 11.9 PA/BB 124.6 PA/HR

On average, in a park neutral environment, Jackson is going to hit about 16 Home Runs, where Gardner will hit you 5 Home Runs.

Gardner and Jackson are basically the same production on offense. Gardner is better on defense. Jackson is 3 years younger, but under team control for another year.

Anyone that wants Gardner is just wanting change for change sake.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance ? that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -- William Paley

Unless AJax is bad for team chemistry, you don't trade him for someone like Gardner. Especially not to an AL team.

Unless AJax is bad for team chemistry, you don't trade him for someone like Gardner. Especially not to an AL team.

and if youre DD and you know he isn't your lead off hitter....doesn't that shake confidence/chemistry?

Kind of like asking Benoit to go back to the 8th..

just saying...it might factor into it.

and if youre DD and you know he isn't your lead off hitter....doesn't that shake confidence/chemistry?

I don't think that factors in. The leadoff hitter or not theory would be on Ausmus. Of course he might have said something to DD. Benoit had always said he didn't want too close. So him not coming back is not based on the fact be doesn't want to be an 8th inning guy.

Jackson actually said he liked the move out of the leadoff spot last year when Leyland moved him.

No reason to believe he would not be okay with not leading off now.

Also for all the talk about how bad he was in the playoffs, in the 2013 ALCS, he had a .423 OBP, he got on base 11 out of 26 PA's, which is pretty close to half the time.

Last edited:
At this point in time, the ship might have sailed on Gardner. 3/4 years ago like I said, he would have been better for the Tigers, slipping him in at LF/CF.

Jackson actually said he liked the move out of the leadoff spot last year when Leyland moved him.

No reason to believe he would not be okay with not leading off now.

Also for all the talk about how bad he was in the playoffs, in the 2013 ALCS, he had a .423 OBP, he got on base 11 out of 26 PA's, which is pretty close to half the time.

what else is he going to say? lol.

Ajax: "fucking hate it...leylands old ass needs to die....im the lead off guy here in Detroit.....bow down bitches"

Gardner for Jackson, yeah that makes no sense, but neither did the Fister trade so it could happen.

I've wanted garnder as our lf for a while, would love to get him instead of dirks. Maybe leadoff platoon w davis and gardner

I bitched and complained all year about ajax and fielder. So if DD moves both of them in the offseason id be contradicting myself to complain about it...just like all of you are :D

Last edited:
I'm not bitching about moving Jackson. I don't like Jackson for Gardner straight up. Show me a trade involving Ajax that makes sense and I'm all for it.

It's not about the player, it's about the deal.

I'm not bitching about moving Jackson. I don't like Jackson for Gardner straight up. Show me a trade involving Ajax that makes sense and I'm all for it.

It's not about the player, it's about the deal.

getting the same player (you don't want on your team) for less years and less money doesn't make sense? If youre a GM that makes perfect sense.

getting the same player (you don't want on your team) for less years and less money doesn't make sense? If youre a GM that makes perfect sense.

How do we know it is less money? Both are arbitration eligible and the 2014 salaries have not been determined.

Jackson $3.5 MIL

Gardner $3.0 MIL

I am sure that $500K from 2013 is why we would trade Jackson for Gardner. Maybe it is because Jackson is 3 years younger.

How do we know it is less money? Both are arbitration eligible and the 2014 salaries have not been determined.

Jackson $3.5 MIL

Gardner $3.0 MIL

I am sure that $500K from 2013 is why we would trade Jackson for Gardner. Maybe it is because Jackson is 3 years younger.

why does Ajax's age matter if he still sucks in 3 years anyways? Gardner wont even be on the team in 3 years so its not like were overpaying for a "old" player.

This assumes the GM does not want the player on his team, and seeing as the trade didn't happen, it's likely a false assumption.

This assumes the GM does not want the player on his team, and seeing as the trade didn't happen, it's likely a false assumption.

I thought we were assuming there was speculation we were trading ajax for gardner...therefor I was assuming he no longer wanted him on the team.

Last edited:
Back