Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sean Payton Suspended 1 Year

lp4ever41

Pretty damn harsh IMO. They also lost two second round picks

Wow!!! Talk about dropping the hammer. A year long suspension for a Super Bowl winning coach is unprecedented. Plus 2 second round picks. That is basically telling New Orleans they should fire Payton and start over. Stunning.

I was surprised that draft picks were not worse. But to lose your HC for an entire year could hurt

bah....Spagnoulos there and Brees most likely can run that shit in his sleep....the draft picks hurt more

Sucks for the rams needing to hire 2 d coordinators in the same offseason.

Not surprised all Goddell's decisions are based on the Shield's perception (positive or negative) in the media and potential lawsuits. This one had both in spades. Pretty damn harsh and I think it will impact the Saints Slick.

Well they were warned in 09 to stop what they were doing and they didnt.

They might still win but a year long for a HC. I didn't see that coming. Have they said anything about players yet?

They plan on punishing players but they are working with the union on a cooperative punishment for them.

Havent heard anything about vilma yet. Looks like theyre not diciplining players thusfar.

I also have heard Gregg Williams has to forfeit 1 g from the end of his first name.

NFL confirms bounties on Favre, Rodgers

By Kevin Seifert
In the course of its investigation into the New Orleans Saints' bounty program, the NFL found four specific instances of an opposing quarterback getting targeted. Two of them played for NFC North teams at the time: Brett Favre for the 2009 Minnesota Vikings and Aaron Rodgers for the 2011 Green Bay Packers.

The others were the Carolina Panthers' Cam Newton in 2011 and the Arizona Cardinals in 2009.

Below are the relevant portions of the NFL's findings.

On Favre: "Multiple sources have confirmed that several players pledged funds toward bounties on specific opposing players, with defensive captain Jonathan Vilma offering $10,000 to any player who knocked Brett Favre out of the NFC Championship Game in 2010."

We first discussed the possibility of a bounty on Rodgers earlier this month, and the league confirmed that Saints coach Sean Payton received an email from a "close associate" that implied a contribution to a Rodgers bounty:
"Further, prior to the Saints? opening game in 2011, Coach Payton received an email from a close associate that stated in part, ?PS Greg Williams put me down for $5000 on Rogers (sic).? When shown the email during the course of the investigation, Coach Payton stated that it referred to a ?bounty? on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers."

The associate has been reported to be longtime marketing agent Mike Ornstein.

As we discussed at the time, with help from Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Rodgers was neither knocked out nor injured in the game. But the effectiveness of a bounty program shouldn't be relevant to how serious it is.

We haven't heard from a ton of players yet on this issue, but Packers guard T.J. Lang did tweet: "Saints got what they deserved!"

Saints are fucked. If the coach got a season, the players who actually did the act.....

Williams is out the year at least... suspended indefinitely. It's crazy. They had to know that they would be made an example of though. It will be interesting to see players punishment. Yikes, it will hit the fan then for sure.

Back