Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sean Payton Suspended 1 Year

lol...Brees tweets he wants an explanation , Goodell is the fucking LAW he isn't going to give you a personal explanation Drew.

I think its in the coaches contract to make sure illegal stuff like this isnt happening. And he knew about and let it go on, even more so when questioned about it in 2010 they lied about it.

Apparently crossing Goodell is a real bad idea

Seems really harsh. I wish the Patriots were made more of an example of during Spygate, but Goodell seems to be making up for that here.

Who cares. I would trade everything they're now getting for a Super Bowl. Not a single one of them regrets it.

How do you suspend a GM for 8 games? Who cares if he can still make transactions. Waiver wire stuff during the season I guess but no big deal.

With Spags(who is a better DC than Williams) and Carmichael at OC and the fact Brees is Brees and still has a ton of weapons and solid Oline even minus Nicks, they will be fine. They found Nicks/Evans in Round 3 or 4. Saints are still a playoff team.

Roger Goddell aka G Rabbit:

I came down on New Orleans harder than Katrina
all over a bounty program that was more incompetent than FEMA,
I mean how can you not even take out Brett Farve?
The dude was like forty-five I can't be that hard.

And Sean Payton your excuses were so f'n lame,
they should've come with those wrist crutches you wore in last years games.
Now my statement is made screw up and you don't get paid,
cause I'll fine you more g's than Gregg Williams name.

Like a Boss.

How do you suspend a GM for 8 games? Who cares if he can still make transactions. Waiver wire stuff during the season I guess but no big deal.

With Spags(who is a better DC than Williams) and Carmichael at OC and the fact Brees is Brees and still has a ton of weapons and solid Oline even minus Nicks, they will be fine. They found Nicks/Evans in Round 3 or 4. Saints are still a playoff team.

But possible player suspensions could still occur.

If you want player safety put flags on them and make them wear dresses. This whole thing is dumb....all of it.

Yes, I'd like to know that myself....is the GM just banned from sitting up in the suites? or are they gonna shadow him and tap his phone lines so he can't communicate with his 2nd in command for 8 weeks?

the cover up is where he got in trouble...tried to have coaches "cover their assess".....probably would have got 2-4 games if he just came out and admitted

I think what really nailed him is that the NFL warned him in 2009 to put an end to the bounty program, and he ignored it.

You ignore a warning like that, and then they found out that specific players were targeted... like a 10 grand bounty for taking out Favre in the 2010 NFC Championship... well, yeah, the bailiff has to whack your pee pee with a ball peen hammer.

Pretty tough penalty. But Goodell shows again that he will be a strict disciplinarian.

So can Payton work anywhere else during his suspension? (like the CFL or College etc.) I mean he is losing a year salary and Goodell can't keep a man from making a living right?

He can work a booth, but not at a stadium. A suspension means he is persona non grata at any stadium in NFL control.

He could coach college ball if he wanted to, or do just about anything that doesn't involve entering a stadium or speaking with active team personnel during his suspension.

The question that won't have an answer until mid year at earliest I think is, How many more penalties are called on the Saints next year? Refs can still impact games enough to keep Saints from making playoffs. My bet is they miss by one game, close enough to not be too conspicuous but still good enough to make sure they don't get any chance at playoffs. If they do make playoffs, no chance the league/refs let them win first game. Conspiracy? Call it what you want. Just saying refs call them very tight next year and if a single player makes a comment about it they get hit with fines and suspensions. In essence, take it and shut up or it will be worse. Goodell isn't going to put up with any players thinking they can talk back, even if justified.

He can work a booth, but not at a stadium. A suspension means he is persona non grata at any stadium in NFL control.

He could coach college ball if he wanted to, or do just about anything that doesn't involve entering a stadium or speaking with active team personnel during his suspension.

The NFL and NCAA work closely together and honor each others decisions on suspensions....Pryors suspension carried into the NFL as did Jim Tressels 6 game ban...Payton will not be anywhere near an NCAA team.

Back