Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sick of all of this - A Rant

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
I know there's a thread on Zimmerman, already. It's not just about Zimmerman, though.

Usually, I defend Pres Obama and even Eric Holder. I think they take too much of the blame for things that aren't their fault and have a very hard right agenda coming after them, creating conspiracies (IRS scandal).

This Trayvon Martin thing has me pissed off. Sure, I think Zimmerman should have been guilty on manslaughter, but that's beside the point. The jury found him not guilty, so I let it go. The guy isn't a monster and he's not a criminal. He was just an idiot that was racially profiling and thought it a good idea to follow a 17 year old black kid at night. He had a gun! No worries, right?

Now, I hear all these NAACP and people like Eric Holder talking about civil rights lawsuit against Zimmerman. Are you serious? Come on! What the fuck is happening to this country? People on the right are moving far to the right and now people on the left are matching them, moving even further to the left.

I love this country, but at this pace, we're all screwed. They don't give a shit about us unless it buys them a few extra votes. Look at the immigration reform. Republicans cite their change of hearts on account of not getting votes from latinos. LOL really? Aww they've changed!

Meanwhile, people who are poor, hungry, and jobless watch their jobs get shipped overseas. Their foodstamps get cut, because half of our politicians believe it is wrong to make sure people don't starve. (Some Christians they are!) Righties and Lefties point fingers. Fuck them both! Democrats let them get away with too much and don't have anyone that can put them in check. On the other hand, nearly every Republican races out and absolutely demolishes a democrat when they do something wrong. There is no balance.

How many federal jobs were shut down by republicans because of a budget crisis? If they had left those alone and gave some better incentives for those jobs to return to this country, we wouldn't have to raise taxes. We wouldn't have to cut education spending (seriously, how many of you know a school that has closed down recently?) We wouldn't have to cut funding for our police and firefighters (again, how many of you have seen fire stations getting cutbacks or cut all together?)

How many times has congress tried to kill obamacare? Really? It's not gonna happen. Most people seem to like it. Sure, it has a few flaws, including the mandate, but it's better than a family of 4 paying $600 per month to make sure they can go to the hospital or see a doctor.

I think i read that they've passed 12 bills this year. Congratulations.

I could go on for another hour or two, just ranting about the shit that's going on in this country. I'm sick of it. Something needs to change. And I'm not just going off about Republicans. I realize that democrats are just as much to blame for this mess we're in.

That all said, :cheers:

1368591103065.gif

Not "sick of all this ranting". No part of the rant suggests that rants are included in "this".

good point.

not that I don't agree with him... I'm not sure why the DOJ would get involved in this, or how they could justify it. it's a state crime under FL state law.

I don't think they will do anything in the end, but they figured they'd better get their own sound bite out there, or else they'd get heat for sitting around and doing nothing. While that's fine - after all the federal government has nothing to do with a criminal case like this - they should be announcing initiatives to get states to repeal stand your ground laws. they didn't say that though.

Has Holder - or even Obama, for that matter - said anything at all definitive about any of this?

I haven't heard anything.

yeah but its the first time a young Black kid was shot to death while Obama has been in office ...

*rolls eyes*

You know kids get followed all the time. By Cops, because that's part of their job - follow the suspicious. Not all that different for a neighborhood watch. IMO, the kid was probably more a thug that an innocent.

Btw, on a side note - why did Obama say "If I had a boy he'd look like him (The Martin boy)." What the hell does that even mean? Lol.

WASHINGTON ? Attorney General Eric Holder called the death of Trayvon Martin "unnecessary" Monday and vowed to proceed with a civil rights inquiry after the acquittal of George Zimmerman.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/15/holder-zimmerman-trayvon-civil-rights/2518435/

I hadn't heard he'd said that.

Not surprising he's going to hold a dog and pony show (probably going to be meaningless) but it's a little sooner of an announcement for it than I would have expected.

a black man is shot by the police every 28 hours in America

we're a country with a racist judicial system and we keep a higher percentage of our population in prison than any other country.

if we changed our outlook on the drug "war" a lot of these problems would go away. we spend about 30k per year per prisoner and now with for profit prisons, they can hire lobbyist to make sure they're at capacity.

drug use rates are the same as they were 30 years ago, we keep trying to fight the supply side, doesn't make sense, we should fight the demand.

a black man is shot by the police every 28 hours in America

we're a country with a racist judicial system and we keep a higher percentage of our population in prison than any other country.

if we changed our outlook on the drug "war" a lot of these problems would go away. we spend about 30k per year per prisoner and now with for profit prisons, they can hire lobbyist to make sure they're at capacity.

drug use rates are the same as they were 30 years ago, we keep trying to fight the supply side, doesn't make sense, we should fight the demand.

We fight the demand too, and it doesn't do any good either.

Why keep fighting anything?

also, we have one childish political party and one that has to always be the grown up in the debate. they both sell the American people out at every possible chance but when it comes to legislation, one is just obstructionist. I think they've voted to repeal obamacare at least 60 times, they've used the filibuster more than any other congress in history, you need a supermajority to get anything through now. the filibuster used to be for extraordinary circumstances, now it's just used on any bill that you wouldn't vote for. you don't even have to talk for hours, you can just say that you're going to filibuster and that's it

also, we have one childish political party and one that has to always be the grown up in the debate. they both sell the American people out at every possible chance but when it comes to legislation, one is just obstructionist. I think they've voted to repeal obamacare at least 60 times, they've used the filibuster more than any other congress in history, you need a supermajority to get anything through now. the filibuster used to be for extraordinary circumstances, now it's just used on any bill that you wouldn't vote for. you don't even have to talk for hours, you can just say that you're going to filibuster and that's it

Arguments like this mean little. Its no doubt that you're a liberal and regardless what happens the republicans are always the bad guys.

Yes, exactly. Doesn't help when the dems just roll over and take it in the ass instead of fighting. Sometimes, i hate my party.

Arguments like this mean little. Its no doubt that you're a liberal and regardless what happens the republicans are always the bad guys.

I don't agree with this. I think Republicans have many good policies and iedeas, but they cloud them with nonsense. For instance, all of these repub controlled states passing leg to limit abortion clinics under the guise of "it's safer for women. We're trying to protect you" It's an obvious lie.

I don't agree with this. I think Republicans have many good policies and iedeas, but they cloud them with nonsense. For instance, all of these repub controlled states passing leg to limit abortion clinics under the guise of "it's safer for women. We're trying to protect you" It's an obvious lie.

That's not what I was saying. Sbee can say one side is a child and the other is so and so but in the end the child side is at fault with everything. They both say bad and dumb things now and again but to just blame the republicans is being very short sighted.

You know kids get followed all the time. By Cops, because that's part of their job - follow the suspicious. Not all that different for a neighborhood watch. ...

actually there is a huge difference between the police, with powers authorized by state law, who are professionally trained, subject to internal disciplinary review, and supported by a legion of professionals who write the rules and procedures they use to do their jobs... and a neighborhood watch.

if you can't tell the difference between the two, well, let me just say it's a good thing you're not in charge of anything important, though it's a bummer you can still vote.

he didn't just follow the kid either... he acted like a vigilante, getting involved... though I guess that depends on whether you believe his story. Martin - heavily armed with skittles and iced tea - decided to jump him and try to beat him to death... just because well... you know kids these days!

Back