Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

So weather now a serious issue for MD game

cmrlily

From an MGo poster:

Team source: "people at Schembechler are freaking out right now." Says decision on potential postponement/new site should come Thursday.

Eff that, unless (a) it's in Ann Arbor AND AND AND AND AND AND (b) we don't have to "make it up to them" by switching Home-Away sequence in the future.

It's their state, they are responsible for giant hurricanes. If the game is moved to A2, tough, build walls along the coast.

I'm so stressed.....supposed to leave at 7am tomorrow (Thursday). I called the hotel, they gave me till midnight instead of the now passed 3pm (24 hour cancellation policy) deadline to cancel Thursday's reservation. So much for the U of Maryland 1:03 tee time on Friday...I have to think that the game will get bumped to noon, and not moved to AA. If it does, we just drive back I guess. Maybe I'll cancel the day one reservation and go hang out in northern Ohio somewhere till off iCal announcement comes.....not staying home....ill end up going to work

From the Weather Channel:
Although computer model simulations have had the advantage of ingesting high-resolution real-world data from the Air Force reconnaissance flight earlier in the day, it doesn't seem to have brought them any closer to a consensus.
The American GFS model forecast continues to show Joaquin making an alarming northwestward turn, slamming it right into Virginia, Maryland or North Carolina this weekend. Meanwhile, the European ECMWF model suggests Joaquin has a chance of staying away from the U.S. East Coast.
It is simply too soon and the uncertainty is too high to determine any impacts from Joaquin itself for the U.S. East Coast at this time.
The National Hurricane Center's official forecast cone is below. The official forecast remains a compromise between the competing scenarios from the computer models.
It's path is weird... it's heading SW currently, but will collide with the gulf stream and do a 170 degree turn north, and either slam into the US, or bend back out over the Atlantic, and fuck up Bermuda. Maybe they have a cricket match or something that will be postponed that day.

I just don't see how they could make this game up. A change of venue other than AA seems like a better option.

I tend to think they are not freaking out- I think it is just a general concern about what is happening. I think the real question is when the decision will be made. I just heard on the radio that would be by Friday morning so the team doesn't fly out if it's not going to be played. Hopefully that would mean they would decide by Thursday night

Last edited:
I meant not freaking out

Yes things are iffy but i just dont see freaking out

It's their state, they are responsible for giant hurricanes. If the game is moved to A2, tough, build walls along the coast.

Hey, didn't we play Sparty at home two years in a row. I guess playing in AA again this year would make it 3 in a row next year. But they won last year in AA. Doesn't matter where they play Michigan will win the game.

The game will be in MD on Sat night as scheduled. The projected path still has it well south of MD by kickoff. Even after the game there is plenty of time to get the heck out and stay safe. Probably will have winds in the 25-30 range, with gusts potentially around 50. Rain will be sporadic - if at all - as the feeder bands that far out rarely bring heavy sustained rain. Eye isn't projected to be over Maryland until Monday. Not a single East Coast game is looking to be in jeopardy on Saturday. NFL on Sunday might, but not NCAA on Saturday, not even the night game.

That said, they should encourage people coming from another state leave right after the game, and UM should leave in a hurry. Maybe they bump the game to 3:00, to help with that, but as far as the weather during the game, there will not be enough to warrant a change.

It's gon rain!

images

It's path is weird... it's heading SW currently, but will collide with the gulf stream and do a 170 degree turn north, and either slam into the US, or bend back out over the Atlantic, and fuck up Bermuda. Maybe they have a cricket match or something that will be postponed that day.

enhanced-10716-1433451314-11.jpg

Last edited:
Zyxt9......I hope you're right

I'm basing it mostly off of:
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2015/hurricane-Joaquin?map=5day

Notice the 8PM Saturday circle, the northern part of that circle is where it's eye could be based on fastest modeled movement. Even if the eye is at that location, the stadium is still only in area of the outer feeder bands during the game.

I've experienced over 10 hurricanes, the outer most bands really don't do much. It's cool to see the clouds moving in unusual manner, but are usually white and puffy and they very rarely rain and if they do it is usually finished in a few minutes. Lightning is extremely rare in those bands.

I would anticipate the edge of the inner bands at the earliest reaching the stadium on Sunday around 8am, based on the fastest movement models. The average movement models would have those inner bands not reaching the stadium until 8pm on Sunday. The edge of the inner bands is when you start to get into the 45-55mph range with gusts around 75mph. There can be some brief intense storms in those bands, some lightning, rarely tornados. Those start becoming more frequent midway through the inner bands, but lightning is actually more rare with hurricanes than other storms due to the airflows being more uniform resulting in less friction between particles. Kind of like how you don't see lightning sparks created as air flows over the wings of an airplane despite the high speeds because the flow is uniform.

Keeping in mind I'm not even certified as a lay-weatherman, just going off of past experience.

Oh, one other important thing. Their projections have it achieving winds of 140mph sustained winds. The media is going to over-sensationalize when it achieves Cat 4 strength. However, this is projected to last only about 36-48 hours and then drop back down to Cat 3 then Cat 2 which will likely be it's Cat upon landfall.

I've been out deep sea fishing as a hurricane was arriving in the Gulf. Let me tell you about some fun there! There are very few things more nerve wracking than watching a giant wave crash over the top of your boat.

Lucky for me, I got sea sick for the first time of my life and puked until I thought I was going to die. It was awesome. I was so happy they forced me to the inside of the boat where I was staring straight at a porthole. Sky, ocean, sky, ocean, sky, ocean. That was my nice view until I turned green.

My dad and sister tried to stay out fishing while our boat was being pounded by waves. They thought it was a blast.

Current track is positive for the game.

120226W5_NL_sm.gif

Accuweather is predicting .1" of rain for Saturday night with winds of 14 - 21 MPH. Better build a damn ark!

Last edited:
Back