Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Status of Denard's elbow update thread

Haven't seen it myself, but apparently at today's press conf., Hoke said Robinson should be ready Sat, but he also said Gardner will be getting more QB snaps.

Haven't seen it myself, but apparently at today's press conf., Hoke said Robinson should be ready Sat, but he also said Gardner will be getting more QB snaps.

Gardner needs to be moved back to QB. He's not good at WR, drops far too many balls and we're going to need a backup QB this year and next. We can't go into spring with 1 scholarship QB and that only would have made sense if bellomy was decent, which he isn't.

Gardner needs to be moved back to QB. He's not good at WR, drops far too many balls and we're going to need a backup QB this year and next. We can't go into spring with 1 scholarship QB and that only would have made sense if bellomy was decent, which he isn't.

oh. ok, well, there you have it. the one expert opinion we were missing has now spoken.

oh. ok, well, there you have it. the one expert opinion we were missing has now spoken.

Yup, I agree. But in all seriousness...Bellomy is bad and is not a serviceable backup. I've seen Gardner win Michigan a game before as a backup.

Last edited:
Yup, I agree. But in all seriousness...Bellomy is bad and is not a serviceable backup. I've seen Gardner win Michigan a game before as a backup.

which one was that?

the only one I can think of was last year @ ILL. I don't think he really won that one as much as he didn't lose it for us. we were steamrolling them for most of the game.

AND he also said that Denard would be back in the 2nd half of the Nebraska game, but he wasn't.

DG at least gives the O the option of a running QB. Bellomy does not. DG is not a bad receiver, not great that is for sure, but not bad. If he had another year to play the position he would be much better. Can't expect the guy to switch positions and be the go to receiver over the off season.

gardner really has not had many plays see below

i have been saying since last year something is off if they are not using him that much but do think he might have been better than bellomy - i do think he started to improve at WR but then he missed balls that were right to him (not over thrown ones)

look up his stats
http://stats.ath.umich.edu/football/cmaster.php

Does anyone not remember them saying it is a waste for him being on the bench and they are trying to get him on the field? That's why he switched to WR not because he couldn't make it at QB. Last year Borges was saying Gardner was more his style of QB in his system (Better arm) they weren't just gonna bench Denard he's a damn good weapon at times. We'll see Gardner compete for the job next year with Shane. They might give it to him since he will be a Senior (Our coaches are loyal as you can tell) Russell might as well get used to holding a clipboard cause he will never see the field again.

I'd not judge Bellomy's career potential based on this game. Yes, he was bad, but the good news is that he can't play much worse. I was reminded of Nick Sheridan at times, however, which conjured up chilling images of Rod Richriguez grimacing on the sidelines like he was watching his six-year old kid playing soccer.

And where is Sheridan playing professional football these days?

Last edited:
I'd not judge Bellomy's career potential based on this game. Yes, he was bad, but the good news is that he can't play much worse. I was reminded of Nick Sheridan at times, however, which conjured up chilling images of Rod Richriguez grimacing on the sidelines like he was watching his six-year old kid playing soccer.

And where is Sheridan playing professional football these days?

he plays for Mike's Heating and Cooling, LLC Marauders. they're based in Garden City, Michigan.

in the league newsletter, Sheridan credited his former coach, Rich Rodriguez with teaching him the spread offense. Sheridan's team was 6-0 last season, and MGoBlog cited this as "proof" RR didn't get a fair chance in Ann Arbor.

Someone on mgoblog said the injury is probably better classified as "traumatic neuropraxia of the ulnar nerve"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurapraxia

Having that word to google opens up a lot of possible reading, but I don't think it tells us a whole heck of a lot regarding Robinson's elbow other than it would be great if he could go 6 weeks without re-injuring it to let the myelin sheath heal. You can get your grip back quickly or it can take weeks. It looks like they classify these things by how long it takes to heal/if it heals, so it's not like we could hear a diagnosis and then have some better idea of how bad it is.

Someone on mgoblog said the injury is probably better classified as "traumatic neuropraxia of the ulnar nerve"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurapraxia

Having that word to google opens up a lot of possible reading, but I don't think it tells us a whole heck of a lot regarding Robinson's elbow other than it would be great if he could go 6 weeks without re-injuring it to let the myelin sheath heal. You can get your grip back quickly or it can take weeks. It looks like they classify these things by how long it takes to heal/if it heals, so it's not like we could hear a diagnosis and then have some better idea of how bad it is.

yikes. seems like the worse injury to have, and also the best, since it's not permanent.

I guess it speaks to the need to limit his minutes as much as possible over the next couple weeks though

I just have a bad feeling Gardner is going to be starting tomorrow.

I'm actually okay with that.

In fact, I think the best thing we could hope for would be to start Gardner and win this one easily:

- Denard gets an extra week to allow his nerve to heal
- shows we're good enough to beat bad opponents without him, at least
- shows the confidence the coaches have in the rest of the team

I'm actually okay with that.

In fact, I think the best thing we could hope for would be to start Gardner and win this one easily:

- Denard gets an extra week to allow his nerve to heal
- shows we're good enough to beat bad opponents without him, at least
- shows the confidence the coaches have in the rest of the team

I'd be more okay with it if Gardner had been practicing at QB all year. It's going to be tough to get up to speed in just one week. I know he has prior experience from last year, but it's still going to be tough.

Well, according to Hoke's radio show, Denard is going to be the starter tomorrow, for whatever that's worth...

Didn't Hoke just say they feel real good about him being able to start? Not exactly confirmation. More like coach speak.

I really hope Denard can go. After reading about this injury, I have my doubts. Sounds like it would be a struggle to grip the ball and throw it accurately. Insert accuracy jokes here.

Back