Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official 2014 Draft Thread

I think you nailed it when you said the I line gets younger. I like what we have with Reiff, warlord, waddle, and now hopefully Swanson to replace raiola. If all goes well sims is the only one we will have to replace soon due to age.

Possibly Schofield in rd 6.

I wasn't really excited about Warford a year ago either, but I am loving it now.

I am sure this will make me happy before long. He's a great young center, and our line just got younger still.

Same here. People can speculate whether he'd have been there in the 4th but in the end this ensures (if the player pans out of course) that you're not grabbing some free agent has been when Raiola hangs them up.

Last edited:
We needed a center. I thought he was one of the better ones in the draft. For all the bitching people have done about Raola I thought more of you would be happy. I like the pick.

The top DB's are gone. I dont want Nix. The way I look at it he has a year to get NFL ready and starts a year from now. The Lions are slowly building a young and talented OL.

I think the only reason I don't like the pick is because of the guys I was hoping we'd take. Kareem Martin. Keith McGill. Louis Nix....

Travis Swanson was a guy I mentioned weeks ago as I guy I wanted. I just didn't want him "right now" cause I wanted other guys.

Kind of like wanting a steak and getting crab legs. Both great .. but your mouth was watering for steak.

What happened to Xanders? Mayhew got pissed that he didn't get credit last year?

I think the only reason I don't like the pick is because of the guys I was hoping we'd take. Kareem Martin. Keith McGill. Louis Nix....

Travis Swanson was a guy I mentioned weeks ago as I guy I wanted. I just didn't want him "right now" cause I wanted other guys.

Kind of like wanting a steak and getting crab legs. Both great .. but your mouth was watering for steak.

More like wanting steak and getting a Swanson's microwavable dinner.

Guards tend to have power. They pull to clear holes and get to the second level. He does none of that.....also based on this ....I can find more if you want.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/travis-swanson?id=2543506

These say the exact opposite about him pulling...

02/20/2014 - 2014 NFL Draft Scout Pre-Combine Top 64 Prospects: 52. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas, 6-5, 310, 5.26, 2...Lacks ideal speed, but Swanson has the athleticism to pull in running game and seal off defenders when blocking straight ahead. Solid making line calls. Started all 50 games of his Razorback career, tied for the second-longest active streak in the country at the end of 2013. Blocked for the first season in school history with a 3,000-yard passer and a 1,000-yard rusher in 2010, and two seasons with a 1,000-yard rusher. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

-----

STRENGTHS: Has the athleticism to pull in the running game. Able to seal off defenders from the action when blocking straight ahead. Can anchor well against strong run defenders. Good explosiveness to deliver his snaps and awareness in making line calls.

WEAKNESSES: Lack of ideal straight-line apparent when unable to make the edge at times. Struggles to generate movement against stronger defenders.

--Rob Rang

I'm good with our first 3 picks. I wish we would have addressed DE and CB, but it really seems the lions like what we have. I'd argue that, but whatever. Scouts seem split on swanson. Some are saying he's underrated. Some say he isn't anything special. We'll see...

I love it when we pick some tool it's because he was BPA, when we pick some other tool it was a need.

What happened to Xanders? Mayhew got pissed that he didn't get credit last year?

Xanders blows. Mayhew blows. We just picked a back up center that anchored one of the worst passing and rushing offenses in the sec with starting des and wrs on the board.

These say the exact opposite about him pulling...

02/20/2014 - 2014 NFL Draft Scout Pre-Combine Top 64 Prospects: 52. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas, 6-5, 310, 5.26, 2...Lacks ideal speed, but Swanson has the athleticism to pull in running game and seal off defenders when blocking straight ahead. Solid making line calls. Started all 50 games of his Razorback career, tied for the second-longest active streak in the country at the end of 2013. Blocked for the first season in school history with a 3,000-yard passer and a 1,000-yard rusher in 2010, and two seasons with a 1,000-yard rusher. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

-----

STRENGTHS: Has the athleticism to pull in the running game. Able to seal off defenders from the action when blocking straight ahead. Can anchor well against strong run defenders. Good explosiveness to deliver his snaps and awareness in making line calls.

WEAKNESSES: Lack of ideal straight-line apparent when unable to make the edge at times. Struggles to generate movement against stronger defenders.

--Rob Rang

Centres pull to cut off, Guards pull to clear. Anyways, sure, lets hope he does something this year, maybe he'll be our fullback?

And I just realized...

tomorrow we have two untradeable 4ths, a late 5th, and a 7th. Don't think we'll be doing much maneuvering.

Xanders blows. Mayhew blows. We just picked a back up center that anchored one of the worst passing and rushing offenses in the sec with starting des and wrs on the board.

You should go ahead and do it. I heard drowning yourself is like god giving you a big wet hug. You don't bring much to the table around here. Go ahead... Get it over with.

Back