Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why open a watch factory in Detroit?

Aren't watches becoming obsolete? Sort of like cufflinks, they only seem to matter much when they are half jewelery.

Aren't watches becoming obsolete? Sort of like cufflinks, they only seem to matter much when they are half jewelery.

Maybe a smartwatch in 5 or 6 generations when they have projectors in them and lasers and stuff.

Not to sound like a Shinola salesman...

You make a great point in all reality. I think in general they are. However, it has increasingly become more difficult to find a reliable watch these days. In essence, most people are forced to pay a premium for a dependable time piece, electronic cover, and a modern, moderate exercise mechanism, let alone artsy-fartsy books. I am not sure in the quality of the time pieces but was fascinated by marketing push. Their bikes are second to none, no doubt, as I have experience in that area.

I found it interesting that someone actually wanted to pay an inflated business tax to set up a manufacturing facility in Detroit. Granted, I trust that the tax situation for small business is "water under the bridge" but still, it's noticeably under-inflated based on my research.

I really like the marketing approach, provided the product match's up to scale.

Note they do outsource SKU's but only to US Companies. I will review the $900 watch when it arrives. I am excited. I like the live web cam on the manufacturing facility. American's appear lazy.... maybe by design?

Last edited:
I never used to wear watches, maybe when I was a kid. But I recent bought a new one a few weeks ago. Glad I did.

Maybe a smartwatch in 5 or 6 generations when they have projectors in them and lasers and stuff.

Still though, walk up to 10 random people on the street and ask them for the time, I bet 8 out of those 10 pull out their smartphone to see what time it is.

I'm not knocking watches, it just seems I see less and less people wearing them anymore.

Still though, walk up to 10 random people on the street and ask them for the time, I bet 8 out of those 10 pull out their smartphone to see what time it is.

I'm not knocking watches, it just seems I see less and less people wearing them anymore.

You're probably right. My excuse was "I have clocks all around me" - Phone, tablet, PC, TV etc. But I spend so much time outside now that I usually leave my phone inside.

My watch was just over $200 and that is a lot for a watch imo. When I was a kid it was a Timex for $19.99. Just like anything else big ass inflation.

I agree with the "watches are jewelry" line of thinking...for most people. There are exceptions, such as Mitchrapp. Generally speaking, if I don't need my phone, I don't need to know the time either.

I don't know.

I still wear my watch virtually every time I leave my house. A quick glance at the wrist feels much easier and more natural to me than fumbling around for my hand held device.

in the corporate world it's just something you wear as an accessory. i have a few high end watches that i'll pass down to my kids one day, i'm looking at it for more than function.

I do like the shilola line, hate the name but there are some good looking watches. the faces are a little bigger than something i'd normally wear but they're not that expensive so you're not buying it for 50 years. I've looked at a few in jewelry stores in the detroit area, they can't keep them in stock. i know that barney's picked them up too

Guess, I still wear my Timex for function - I am way too used to looking at my wrist for the time - with the day, date, and Indiglo face, too.

. . . and a twist-o-flex watch band I wouldn't trade for gold. :*)

If I were going to wear jewelry on my wrist, I think I might go with the moonwatch. I'd have to google it though because I forgot the name. I have a Michigan watch (with a battery that's been dead for several years) but it's more casual...leather band. I generally don't need jewelry, so it's even more rare that I'd need casual jewelry. Either way, I'm just not a fashionable person and would probably look silly if I tried. I'd think I've got this cool moonwatch on my wrist, but if any noticed it, they'd only notice how dated my watch looks so something on that order.

Last edited:
I'm going to attempt the "do you have the time" experiment on Wednesday.

Do people think I should just ask men, since they seem to wear watches more often, or a mix?

I use a watch for time, and a cell phone to call people. Weird I know ;-)

Steet poll results:

Asked 10 random men (figure wear watches more than women) for the time, 4 checked a wristwatch. 3 checked a phone, 2 said sorry don't have it, and one checked with his wife/GF, who looked at her phone.

1 guy also said "time to buy a watch", before checking his phone. har har

So not as bad as I had thought.

I don't really like wearing anything on my wrist, but if I were a litigator, I'd wear a watch. Some judges go ballistic if a phone goes off in court, so I'd just turn mine off, and then be stuck wondered what time it is.

I did finally get used to the wedding band on my finger after a couple months. that was weird for a while though.

as things go, I sit at a desk most of the day, or in meetings (i usually bring my laptop to them) with the time right down there in the corner of the screen. and on my way to/from work, I have my phone.

I don't really like wearing anything on my wrist, but if I were a litigator, I'd wear a watch. Some judges go ballistic if a phone goes off in court, so I'd just turn mine off, and then be stuck wondered what time it is.

I did finally get used to the wedding band on my finger after a couple months. that was weird for a while though.

as things go, I sit at a desk most of the day, or in meetings (i usually bring my laptop to them) with the time right down there in the corner of the screen. and on my way to/from work, I have my phone.

That's one thing I still can't get used to, wearing a ring. I hate it..I mean I like knowing what the wedding rings is about but it's uncomfortable for me.

That's one thing I still can't get used to, wearing a ring. I hate it..I mean I like knowing what the wedding rings is about but it's uncomfortable for me.

for me, the strangest feeling is a watch without a ring or a ring without a watch, it's like i can't function because it's so foreign. I wear a watch and ring at work, meeting with clients, etc. i take it off when i get home, but to wear one without the other just throws me off.

Back