Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wisconsin Got Fucked

back to the play, maybe i didn't see it quite right the first time around. i hadn't picked up on the whistle blowing which obviously ends the play, so yeah, the D should have been given a Delay of Game penalty.

interesting thought, it would be smart of defenses to that that more often in the right situations. it is a dead ball foul, but the penalty stops the clock (sort of like calling timeout without one). the down still counts as it takes place after the penalty, so if the O does that on 3rd down and they have more than 5 yards to go, they will still be facing a 4th down but there would be (in this case) a good 10 seconds on the clock. sure you move the FG try 5 yards closer, but how often does that 5 yards make a difference when already within a 40 yard try. conversely, the FG try would not result in all the time coming off the clock, meaning you at a minimum have a chance at a return.

all those things require situational awareness, but if coached properly to the D and they have the awareness, seems like a legit penalty to take to get a chance at a kick return. even if happened on 2nd down, so many teams these days kick on 3rd down in case there is a bad snap or something, so maybe the O decides to run down the clock again on the next play, but that removes their safety valve of kicking on 3rd down instead of 4th, so if there is a bad snap, you win the game because of the delay of game penalty.

maybe i'm missing something though. wouldn't be the first time. lol

back to the play, maybe i didn't see it quite right the first time around. i hadn't picked up on the whistle blowing which obviously ends the play, so yeah, the D should have been given a Delay of Game penalty.

interesting thought, it would be smart of defenses to that that more often in the right situations. it is a dead ball foul, but the penalty stops the clock (sort of like calling timeout without one). the down still counts as it takes place after the penalty, so if the O does that on 3rd down and they have more than 5 yards to go, they will still be facing a 4th down but there would be (in this case) a good 10 seconds on the clock. sure you move the FG try 5 yards closer, but how often does that 5 yards make a difference when already within a 40 yard try. conversely, the FG try would not result in all the time coming off the clock, meaning you at a minimum have a chance at a return.

all those things require situational awareness, but if coached properly to the D and they have the awareness, seems like a legit penalty to take to get a chance at a kick return. even if happened on 2nd down, so many teams these days kick on 3rd down in case there is a bad snap or something, so maybe the O decides to run down the clock again on the next play, but that removes their safety valve of kicking on 3rd down instead of 4th, so if there is a bad snap, you win the game because of the delay of game penalty.

maybe i'm missing something though. wouldn't be the first time. lol

it's unsportsmanlike but by that logic, they should do it after any down outside the 25 - inside 10 seconds with no timeouts, any team is going to kick a FG on 4th down or 1st down from that distance.

Last edited:
i don't disagree about it being unsportsmanlike, but it isn't necessarily outside the rules. i guess the rules could allow the offense the option of having the clock wind after the ball is set or not, so depending on whether they want the clock to tick down until 4 seconds, they would have that option, thereby eliminating the potentiality of the scenario. it would have to be an option though, cuz if there is less than 4 seconds, the O would definitely not want the clock to wind when the ball is set.

i just saw the recap video, and i have to disagree wholeheartedly. the wisky QB never put his knee down from what i saw and the ASU player should have been credited with a fumble recovery. i guess the refs considered him to have "given up his body" on the play though, so call let's call that part a wash. the refs set the ball but wisky was totally not realizing the clock was still ticking. why? that's a bad on the coaches as well as the QB. ref sets the ball and the QB then realizes there is 2 seconds left, but his players are no where near position to do anything.

the entire thing was a Charlie Foxtrot by wisky.

as much as i prefer BIG teams to win OOC, they screwed themselves.

It doesn't matter if he actually put it down or not. He made a motion as if he were going to, so at that point he's considered to be down. Furthermore, the ref whistled the play dead, so it should've been treated as such.

I remember a game between Texas and Texas Tech a few years back, Tech tried a trick play where the QB acted as if he were going to take a knee (started to go down but didn't contact the ground) then popped up and threw a pass. He was ruled down because he showed intent to kneel, at which point he was down.

i don't disagree about it being unsportsmanlike, but it isn't necessarily outside the rules. i guess the rules could allow the offense the option of having the clock wind after the ball is set or not, so depending on whether they want the clock to tick down until 4 seconds, they would have that option, thereby eliminating the potentiality of the scenario. it would have to be an option though, cuz if there is less than 4 seconds, the O would definitely not want the clock to wind when the ball is set.

the rule would have to say what happens with the clock. you can't give a team discretion or direct control over the clock.

the rule would have to say what happens with the clock. you can't give a team discretion or direct control over the clock.

They can do whatever they want with the rule. If they put in an option with the clock it doesn't create some sort of Temporal Flux that fractures the Space-Time Continuum or anything. Not saying they WILL do something with the clock, just saying when you are the one creating and enforcing the rules, you can do pretty much anything.

Yeah they got screwed pretty good. Maybe I am mistaken but I thought I heard recently that the PAC is the only conference that uses their own refs for home OOC games. If this is the case, this would be a perfect reason to change that, just to take the possibility of impropriety out of play.

Can the refs be fined for such a screw up? They should be fined or disciplined in some way.

They can do whatever they want with the rule. If they put in an option with the clock it doesn't create some sort of Temporal Flux that fractures the Space-Time Continuum or anything. Not saying they WILL do something with the clock, just saying when you are the one creating and enforcing the rules, you can do pretty much anything.

Yeah, I don't think teams will ever be allowed to use their flux capacitors but it would be moronic to give a team direct control over the clock. Sure, they can do anything they want with rules - they could allow the home team to widen the sidelines for their possessions if they want. But if they do something really stupid like give a team a free option to run the clock or not it compromises the integrity of the game - as if we need more of that. Thankfully, most people agree that rules have to make sense and be within the spirit of fair competition. Limiting both teams control of the clock to indirect means (finite # of timeouts, running the ball, earning a first down to keep it going, spending a down to spike the ball to stop it, etc) keeps it more inline with the spirit of competition. Any new rule should maintain that - only officials should have control over the clock and even that should be limited.

Last edited:
Back