Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Head Coach Search Matt Patricia

The offense actually finished with a respectable rank despite having no effective run game. I'm not a huge fan of holdovers, but I'd be hesitant to make big staff changes with a first-year defensive-minded HC.

The offense is mostly set right now, aside from RB. A healthy O-line should help. We also don't know what Cooter was and wasn't allowed to do under Caldwell, I think a change in philosophic and strategic direction could be a major factor. This offense could be very good with a competent running game.

How much of as defense and special teams.

Too lazy to look it up

7 top 10 offenses ppg were in top 10 in turnovers forced

The other 3 were min, New England and Pittsburgh. 1st, 5th and 7th in defensive ppg. Those teams got a ton of stops to help their offense too

Don't discredit the offense because every top offense was supported by defense in some way

Last edited:
The offense actually finished with a respectable rank despite having no effective run game. I'm not a huge fan of holdovers, but I'd be hesitant to make big staff changes with a first-year defensive-minded HC.

The offense is mostly set right now, aside from RB. A healthy O-line should help. We also don't know what Cooter was and wasn't allowed to do under Caldwell, I think a change in philosophic and strategic direction could be a major factor. This offense could be very good with a competent running game.

Need a deep threat.....a 4.3 or 4.4 guy. This offense desperately needs it.

We haven't had a healthy OL since Backus, Crayola, & Sims.

Need a deep threat.....a 4.3 or 4.4 guy. This offense desperately needs it.

Stafford had most 40+ yard passes in the league this season WITH a line that gave up 2nd most sacks... I don't get why people don't think we go deep?

Stafford had most 40+ yard passes in the league this season WITH a line that gave up 2nd most sacks... I don't get why people don't think we go deep?

He might still be high on the list (have no idea) but it's about air yards.. Not the 2016 Matt S. who was pretty bad in air yards.

I think center is the missing piece... but we could definitely use an upgrade at rb.

Glasgow played well at center. Dahl solid at lg but could upgrade. Need depth at tackle and guard though corey robinson and mihalik are adequate

How much of as defense and special teams.

Too lazy to look it up

12th in offensive TDs scored.
9th in offensive scoring (TDs + Field Goals)
4th in average starting field position.
2nd least in drops (huge improvement)
6th most drives starting in Opp territory (By % - 11.4%)
11th in redzone TD scoring % (This surprised me)
The offensive also gave up the 2nd most defensive TDs against (5).

So overall they were a fringe top 10 offense. Had a lot go their way, but I think did a okay job.

Last edited:
Looks like Patricia wants the Giants job over Detroit. Lions fucking up this coaching search like they always do. I really do not want Verbal.

Last edited:
Looks like Patricia wants the Giants job over Detroit. Lions fucking up this coaching search like they always do. I really do not want Verbal.

How does Patricia liking the Giants job equal Detroit "fucking up"?

Maybe he likes NY better? Maybe, being a defensive guy, he sees that the NYG defense is better than ours so that is attractive to him.

I'd take Vrabel.....shit.....I'll take anyone that has an aggressive style of play.

Last edited:

Maybe he likes NY better? Maybe, being a defensive guy, he sees that the NYG defense is better than ours so that is attractive to him.

I'd take Vrabel.....shit.....I'll take anyone that has an aggressive style of play.

I just want the Lions to be tight lipped about everything. They lost out on Whisenhunt and ended up with our second choice. . (Which turned out ok I guess) probably all media driven anyway. what is so special about Vrabel? Guess He Can Blame his bad defense on injuries too. I will give you he has energy which would be refreshing after deer in headlights Caldwell.

Little bit of a shock for me tho. I was 100% expecting a Patricia hire. Sounds like a bidding war maybe between Detroit and NY? Idk. I was in board with Vrabel as well....

Patricia is from NY btw....

Yeah I saw it. I just want the Lions to get our first choice . Tired of getting past over . The Lions are closer then any other team getting new coaches and yet It feels like we have to beg to get our coach . Probably media driven but him being from New York is probably a big deal.

Back