Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

He's a huge threat downfield, something we've lacked a little bit since Calvin has been hobbled by that ankle.

Under Cooter we are not a team that throws the ball down field. One game we didn't even throw the ball more than 10 yards down field.

Patriots were not a team that threw the ball down field a ton so I don't think Quinn will put a priority on it.

Stafford looked his best he has in his 7 year career when we asked him not to take chances and not throw it down field. Even our big plays down field in years past was Stafford chucking it and CJ adjusting and making a play.

Teams want us to throw it deep, that's our weakness. I don't see the combo of Caldwell, Cooter and Quinn putting a priority on a player that is a deep threat.

Last edited:
Under Cooter we are not a team that throws the ball down field. One game we didn't even throw the ball more than 10 yards down field.

Patriots were not a team that threw the ball down field a ton so I don't think Quinn will put a priority on it.

Stafford looked his best he has in his 7 year career when we asked him not to take chances and not throw it down field. Even our big plays down field in years past was Stafford chucking it and CJ adjusting and making a play.

Teams want us to throw it deep, that's our weakness. I don't see the combo of Caldwell, Cooter and Quinn putting a priority on a player that is a deep threat.

Imo teams still need to have that deep threat as a viable option . Otherwise opposing teams can and will just sit on short routes and safeties will be closer to the line of scrimmage and be in on running plays . You need to have that deep threat to keep defenses honest .

I predict Calvin will play for the Patriots this year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I predict Calvin will play for the Patriots this year.

How is that? Even if he retires, the Lions still own his rights until his contract is up. Only way he goes to another team is if he's traded (which isn't going to happen) or if he's released (which again, isn't going to happen).

How is that? Even if he retires, the Lions still own his rights until his contract is up. Only way he goes to another team is if he's traded (which isn't going to happen) or if he's released (which again, isn't going to happen).
If he decides not to retire and not except a pay cut, this could essentially force the Lions to release him. Thus saving 11 mil in cap space and making him free in the market.

If he decides not to retire and not except a pay cut, this could essentially force the Lions to release him. Thus saving 11 mil in cap space and making him free in the market.

I don't think it's a bluff. I think he really wants to quit.

He wants to make sure he's making the right decision. How is that hard to understand?

I disagree. I think he's waiting on the announcement out of a sense of fairness toward the organization's request to "consider" returning. Lots of different stories have been floated, but if Stafford and Tulloch were told long ago, and Caldwell was told the Monday after the season...and he told them his mind was made up...to me, he's respecting Detroit wishes to "think about it."

And that is different than "making sure."

Heard a theory today that they are waiting till after the 24th to announce it. The day after deposits are due on season tickets. Sounds like thats something the lions would do

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I disagree. I think he's waiting on the announcement out of a sense of fairness toward the organization's request to "consider" returning. Lots of different stories have been floated, but if Stafford and Tulloch were told long ago, and Caldwell was told the Monday after the season...and he told them his mind was made up...to me, he's respecting Detroit wishes to "think about it."

And that is different than "making sure."
I'm not buying it. He doesn't owe them anything.

Heard a theory today that they are waiting till after the 24th to announce it. The day after deposits are due on season tickets. Sounds like thats something the lions would do

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ya, 31 other teams would do the same fkn thing. This is a business..

Truthfully? It is getting annoying but Calvin is a mute, so its fitting lol. I think the man is done but he's "respecting" the organizations wishes by "thinking about it". He aint thinking about shit....he's done. It's just not Calvin's way to disrespect the Lions. So he'll wait a bit and make the announcement soon enough.

Time to move on.......

Ya, 31 other teams would do the same fkn thing. This is a business..

Truthfully? It is getting annoying but Calvin is a mute, so its fitting lol. I think the man is done but he's "respecting" the organizations wishes by "thinking about it". He aint thinking about shit....he's done. It's just not Calvin's way to disrespect the Lions. So he'll wait a bit and make the announcement soon enough.

Time to move on.......

Yep, I think that's dead on.......but I do think part of his wait is him making sure it's what he wants to do. I think there is a big part of him that WANTS to play football as long as possible.....but there is a bigger part of him that wants to walk when he's 50.

In the end......I think he'll retire soon......by the start of free agency certainly.......which is all that really matters.

As long as he decides before the Start of FA Im good with it. This is a big decision in his life, and I am not going to bust his chops for him taking his time deciding. Just dont pull a Barry and let us know until the first day of Training Camp.

However, in my opinion, the Lions should operate and make choices with the assumption that Calvin is done, regardless of if he decides to come back or not. If he does come back (which is very unlikely at this point), Id say its for a max of 2 years. That means you will need to find his replacement soon anyways - its better to draft/sign a replacement too early than too late...if the Lions find a WR they love in the draft - jump on it. I dont want another Aaron Donald situation occurring, where we pass on a stud in the draft because we hope our HOF player decides to stick around...

The longer he takes the more I want to believe the odds of him coming back for at least another year increases. Probably just wishful thinking but I can hope until it's official right

I think hes forcing them to release him post retirement so he can join a winning organization. Hes sick of being a loser, playing for a loser.....just surrounded by losers. Everywhere....in every corner...losers here....losers there. Hes sick of it.

I think hes forcing them to release him post retirement so he can join a winning organization. Hes sick of being a loser, playing for a loser.....just surrounded by losers. Everywhere....in every corner...losers here....losers there. Hes sick of it.

He had that opportunity a few years back when he re-signed with Detroit. He's not pulling anything douchy like that

Yep, I think that's dead on.......but I do think part of his wait is him making sure it's what he wants to do. I think there is a big part of him that WANTS to play football as long as possible.....but there is a bigger part of him that wants to walk when he's 50.

In the end......I think he'll retire soon......by the start of free agency certainly.......which is all that really matters.

He's had to have his mind made up though....no? Idk....its been awhile now and all we hear is the media on "he said, she said" bullshit. Drives me nuts lol

Back