Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

I enjoy following what they are doing with the team, but weather they win or lose on a Sunday...I really don't care. Sometimes I do find it funny when they lose in typical Lion fashion just so I can see some of the more pathetic losers here make their normal excuses (LKP). If you really think about it...anybody that has a rooting interest in any team is wasting their time.

I don't always bash them...only when they deserve it. I actually think Quinn is doing a pretty good job since he took over.

Dude, you lead a sad and pathetic life.

exactly...I follow the Lions because they are the NFL team of the area but I really don't give a shit if they win or lose. I certainly don't waste my money on them. I find it entertaining to follow what they do and talk about them on this board.

So in your eyes that makes me a "motherfucking clown"? I think anybody goes to games and buys Jerseys are just wasting their money, but to each their own.

Gotcha!!! So you love the pain and suffering that Lions fans go through. It's all becoming crystal clear now. Unreal

Dude, you lead a sad and pathetic life.

That's your opinion. But of course, you know nothing about my life. I might feel that it is sad and pathetic to waste 4+ hours of a Sunday going to a football game...but to each their own. I don't bash you for doing that. You find it entertaining...which is perfectly fine.

That's your opinion. But of course, you know nothing about my life. I might feel that it is sad and pathetic to waste 4+ hours of a Sunday going to a football game...but to each their own. I don't bash you for doing that. You find it entertaining...which is perfectly fine.

LOL yet you come here and don't waste time?. And all your opinions are invalid if you don't even watch the game. Every single one of them. You can't say the Lions stink and not even watch every single game. Every fan should have to watch every game twice IMO. Once live and once a few days after to really see what happened.

You should get NFL Game pass. 100 bucks, super cheap. You can watch a game in 30-40 minutes.

Cool story, bruh. Save it for your psychiatrist....

LOL yet you come here and don't waste time?. And all your opinions are invalid if you don't even watch the game. Every single one of them. You can't say the Lions stink and not even watch every single game. Every fan should have to watch every game twice IMO. Once live and once a few days after to really see what happened.

You should get NFL Game pass. 100 bucks, super cheap. You can watch a game in 30-40 minutes.

for me, posting on these boards is partially passing time and part entertainment. For the most part I post during the work day. I treat it as water cooler talk since for the most part I work from home.

Just going to say that I am not watching every game twice, or even ANY game twice. By the time it's over, I know what really happened. They won or they lost and it's on to the next game. The past doesn't matter and never will.

Just going to say that I am not watching every game twice, or even ANY game twice. By the time it's over, I know what really happened. They won or they lost and it's on to the next game. The past doesn't matter and never will.

I will say every once in a while I watch the game a second time. That us usually because I drank too much to remember the game

I can't watch any sports game twice.. Even if I recorded a game, which is very rare, that I wanted to watch if I found out the score before hand I wouldn't watch.

What really amazes me is that we're even still talking about Calvin.

He didn't see a SuperBowl in our future. No shit.. neither do any of us.

He was tired of losing. No shit, so are a lot of fans.

He wasn't happy with having to pay money back. No shit.. would anyone be thrilled?

Has there been anything about this story or his comments that we didn't already know? The difference is, as fans, we hoped it wasn't anything more than his health or desire to play.

But no. He said the things we didn't want him to say. None of it was wrong. None of it was a shocker. It's just that he said them at all.

Why is this even still a conversation. He's not wrong and he's no longer relevant to the team. At the start of the season we're going to have 52 members of the Detroit Lions, and he won't be one of them.

Love the guy for what he gave us, but it's time to move on. Wake me up when there's something we didn't already know.

Calvin was wrong. This team has super bowl winning capability. Quit too soon due to injuries

Concussions messed up his thought process

Bottom line....

Calvin sounds like a brat. He's mad over money. Dude, you were given 200MIL over your career lol. You're mad over a few million, maybe less? Get over it.
Word is the Lions told CJ that they were giving him a paycut a couple of yrs ago. What does Calvin do?? He retires lol. Absolute joke. People on this board love to rip this orgsnization for being clueless but the Lions were right. They saw the decline 2-3 yrs ago and they wanted to slash his pay. Ya ya ya....but Calvin sacrificed himself for this dogshit team. How dare the Lions try and lowball him. Nah, I don't want to hear it. This is a business. Calvin could have took less to HELP his team but he chose the cowardly way out. He retired. Absolutely disgusts me....

And I want to apologize to Hughes. He was the only one (that i can recall) that consistently called out CJ on his decline. I thought he was crazy. All along it was right in front of our faces lol.

Sorry Hughes

And I want to apologize to Hughes. He was the only one (that i can recall) that consistently called out CJ on his decline. I thought he was crazy. All along it was right in front of our faces lol.

Sorry Hughes

Calvin didn't decline. Still a very good player. He just wasn't worth 16 per year. Lions asked him take a pay cut and then pay back the bonus. Calvin was a coward. He said what he did because of money, not because the Lions are bad. Clearly Lions are Super Bowl caliber in 2016 and now into 2017

Last edited:
Bottom line....

Calvin sounds like a brat. He's mad over money. Dude, you were given 200MIL over your career lol. You're mad over a few million, maybe less? Get over it.
Word is the Lions told CJ that they were giving him a paycut a couple of yrs ago. What does Calvin do?? He retires lol. Absolute joke. People on this board love to rip this orgsnization for being clueless but the Lions were right. They saw the decline 2-3 yrs ago and they wanted to slash his pay. Ya ya ya....but Calvin sacrificed himself for this dogshit team. How dare the Lions try and lowball him. Nah, I don't want to hear it. This is a business. Calvin could have took less to HELP his team but he chose the cowardly way out. He retired. Absolutely disgusts me....

He wasn't paid anywhere close to 200 million over his career. He was closer to 110 million. Which is still a ton of money, but far from 200 million.

Like you said, this is business, why get mad at a guy that makes a business decision.

It's stuff like this that makes me think you will start to see shorter contracts in the NFL. When CJ signed his, the big salary years were back-loaded, he took a year with a salary under 1 million, then a year around 5 million. Then we he gets to his big years you want him to take a pay cut? He just did the organization a favor by taking a low salary couple years.

Last edited:

More about stuff besides the football play.. I don't really like the high cap that will keep going up, some player's now think they should be paid like NBA players like they're not getting paid enough.. working on striking in 3 years. Stuff like that.. It bothers me. No one thinks about the fans. It's already hard to afford to go to a game now..

More about stuff besides the football play.. I don't really like the high cap that will keep going up, some player's now think they should be paid like NBA players like they're not getting paid enough.. working on striking in 3 years. Stuff like that.. It bothers me. No one thinks about the fans. It's already hard to afford to go to a game now..

I don't blame the owners or the players for making as much as they can. If the fans and networks are dumb enough to pay, take their money.

I don't blame the owners or the players for making as much as they can. If the fans and networks are dumb enough to pay, take their money.

And how about those new stadiums that effect fans, even one's who don't watch? There's more to it then what you suggest. It's mostly from players or owners or say things like "we need the fans" but then do stuff or say stuff without even thinking of the fans best interest.. Ink pointed it out, who cares if Calvin is tired of losing. Try it for 20, 30, 40 years or more. They play here for a few years and then they're gone, after making millions.. Fuck 'em.

Back