Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

And how about those new stadiums that effect fans, even one's who don't watch? There's more to it then what you suggest. It's mostly from players or owners or say things like "we need the fans" but then do stuff or say stuff without even thinking of the fans best interest.. Ink pointed it out, who cares if Calvin is tired of losing. Try it for 20, 30, 40 years or more. They play here for a few years and then they're gone, after making millions.. Fuck 'em.

I blame the fans / voters for the stadiums as well. If the residents of a city are dumb enough to vote to have the city pay the bill, they deserve it.

I blame the fans / voters for the stadiums as well. If the residents of a city are dumb enough to vote to have the city pay the bill, they deserve it.

How about the people who don't vote for a new stadium? If it the vote is no on a new stadium they just take their team away. Your reasoning makes no sense.. "It's all your fault for getting murdered in Miami."

How about the people who don't vote for a new stadium? If it the vote is no on a new stadium they just take their team away. Your reasoning makes no sense.. "It's all your fault for getting murdered in Miami."

There were obviously more people that vote for a new stadium vs. against. Just like any other vote. I am blaming the entire city.

There were obviously more people that vote for a new stadium vs. against. Just like any other vote. I am blaming the entire city.

You mean like in St. Louis? Or San Diego? Two options, get a new stadium or have team move.

If Calvin is really so emotionally upset after a year that he needs to stir all this up... dude made millions.. he can afford therapy. I just don't give a rats ass. He was payed a lot of money to play football for the Lions. He played football for the Lions. I loved watching him play football for the Lions.

And now he doesn't play football for the Lions, so as far as I am concerned, chapter closed. We'll always have the memories, but he's a FORMER player, and has no bearing on anything from here out.

I'm just surprised cause it's so out of character for him to say this publicly. Pay cut or trade him would have been the right move. Its the patriot way... get rid of them and get what you can right before they start to go downhill.

And I want to apologize to Hughes. He was the only one (that i can recall) that consistently called out CJ on his decline. I thought he was crazy. All along it was right in front of our faces lol.

Sorry Hughes

Even i couldn't tell if it was due to years of getting beat up.... or our new dink and dunk Lombardi offense. Either way we paid him too much for what he brought every Sunday the last couple years.

He wasn't paid anywhere close to 200 million over his career. He was closer to 110 million. Which is still a ton of money, but far from 200 million.

Like you said, this is business, why get mad at a guy that makes a business decision.

It's stuff like this that makes me think you will start to see shorter contracts in the NFL. When CJ signed his, the big salary years were back-loaded, he took a year with a salary under 1 million, then a year around 5 million. Then we he gets to his big years you want him to take a pay cut? He just did the organization a favor by taking a low salary couple years.

My bad. I didn't mean to write 200. It's exactly 113MIL.
He didn't do the Lions any favors lol. His play was declining.....end of story. Lions wanted to pay him accordingly...

Last edited:
Even i couldn't tell if it was due to years of getting beat up.... or our new dink and dunk Lombardi offense. Either way we paid him too much for what he brought every Sunday the last couple years.

A lot of it had to do with our OLine as well. Not enough time for Staff to sit back and pick apart a defense. In comes this dink and dunk offense until you build your OLine up. It's all about adjustment. There's a reason why Quinn covets an OLine in this town. To help your QB. Football 101.
But the decline was there on CJ. Still a great player but obviously not as explosive. Throw in a terrible OLine and it almost spells disaster because you can't utilize your best player like you want to...

Again I say it though... this is so out of character for Calvin. He's kept it classy and fairly quiet, all up to the point that Caldwell and Wood made comments about how they don't want an alumn unhappy and need to work to rectify this.

From there, it seems like a money play. Everyone knows they will one day retire his jersey. There will be a big ceremony, and he will be there. This is a lot like Favre in Green Bay, gotta dance a little, smooch some ass, and make it all okay for that big day.

I think Calvin wants that money he gave back given back to him. A very quiet and classy guy is suddenly shooting his mouth off? It's out of character for him, and I just think there's an ulterior motive somewhere.

A very quiet and classy guy is suddenly shooting his mouth off? It's out of character for him, and I just think there's an ulterior motive somewhere.

Ya, dancing with the stars is over so he has nothing better to do. Hes not very good at communication so theres no career for him in broadcasting. All hes got is the ability to sit in camps and watch people catch footballs and cry about paying back millions he didnt earn.

Rod Wood wants him to come to camp. Show your face in front of all the players you said weren't contenders. Then watch the Lions dominate this season.

Calvin is salty he had to pay back money. Lions were correct to make him pay back money. Quinn owed him nothing. All he did for Quinn was quit on day 1

I didn't realize until this article that the comments were made to Italian media. Any chance of a translation error here or just a general communications breakdown?

He has said before that if he felt the Lions were right on the verge of being champions, he wouldn't have been able to walk away so easily. Maybe there was just a translation error.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017...ng-camp-invitation-to-calvin-johnson-rod-wood

Escuzzi escuzzi, itsa me Calvin. You no win Super Bowl, K. Thatsa spicy meatball!!!

Hahaha!

Years ago, there was a Yankees pitcher from Japan (you will all remember him) named Hideki Irabu. One day while in spring training down in Florida, he failed to even attempt to cover first base on a grounder, allowing the runner to reach and a run to score.

George Steinbrenner, in his infinite wisdom, lost his shit and called Irabu a "fat pussy toad" (pussy being like puss.. the white nasty shit from a zit, not pussy like a wimp). When the translator relayed that insult, the pitcher smiled and took great pride in it from his body language and the look on his face.

Later a reporter asked the translator why Hideki Irabu seemed so happy at the insult. The translator told the reporter "In Japan, there is really no word for pussy, and no direct word for toad". So the translator told Irabu "Mr. Steinbrenner says you remind him a lot of himself".

Translator was fired, obviously, but it always made me wonder from there how much the translator really gets right, because sometimes they put their own spin on it, and sometimes there just is no direct translation.

In a case like this one, you have to wonder if Calvin said something similar to "If I thought we were right on the verge of a championship..." and the translator said "I didn't see them being close to a Super Bowl".

It would make sense for such an out of character statement.

Last edited:
Hahaha!

Years ago, there was a Yankees pitcher from Japan (you will all remember him) named Hideki Irabu. One day while in spring training down in Florida, he failed to even attempt to cover first base on a grounder, allowing the runner to reach and a run to score.

George Steinbrenner, in his infinite wisdom, lost his shit and called Irabu a "fat pussy toad" (pussy being like puss.. the white nasty shit from a zit, not pussy like a wimp). When the translator relayed that insult, the pitcher smiled and took great pride in it from his body language and the look on his face.

Later a reporter asked the translator why Hideki Irabu seemed so happy at the insult. The translator told the reporter "In Japan, there is really no word for pussy, and no direct word for toad". So the translator told Irabu "Mr. Steinbrenner says you remind him a lot of himself".

Translator was fired, obviously, but it always made me wonder from there how much the translator really gets right, because sometimes they put their own spin on it, and sometimes there just is no direct translation.

In a case like this one, you have to wonder if Calvin said something similar to "If I thought we were right on the verge of a championship..." and the translator said "I didn't see them being close to a Super Bowl".

If that was the case you'd think Calvin would have correct it..

If that was the case you'd think Calvin would have correct it..

No, actually, I don't think he would. I think he would straighten it out with the team.. but I don't think he would go to the media about it.

No, actually, I don't think he would. I think he would straighten it out with the team.. but I don't think he would go to the media about it.

Maybe not but someone would talk about it, the info he gave to the team would come out. It always does.

Hahaha!

There was no translator involved. Maybe one was there but I heard it straight from CJ's mouth. He straight up clowned the Lions and the city.

Back