Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Climate change, pollution, dwindling resources and natural places

The article is credited to:

Rev. Kyle Meyaard-Schaap is vice president of the Evangelical Environmental Network. Kiera O?Brien is the founder and president of Young Conservatives for Carbon Dividends. Both are Public Voices fellows of the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication and the OpEd Project

There might actually be some hope on these issues if religious groups get involved.

And especially if the religious groups (in this country, read that as Christian groups) actually follow the teachings of Christ, instead of "prosperity gospel" charlatans, you know what I'm saying?

There might actually be some hope on these issues if religious groups get involved.

And especially if the religious groups (in this country, read that as Christian groups) actually follow the teachings of Christ, instead of "prosperity gospel" charlatans, you know what I'm saying?

I don't know. Pope Francis has written 3 Encyclicals. One is on climate change. Of the few Catholics that are aware of that fact, I would guess 7 of 10 think he's a terrible Pope they can ignore to some degree.

I don't know. Pope Francis has written 3 Encyclicals. One is on climate change. Of the few Catholics that are aware of that fact, I would guess 7 of 10 think he's a terrible Pope they can ignore to some degree.

well, 3 out of 10 is better than nothing, I suppose

well, 3 out of 10 is better than nothing, I suppose

There's no survey I'm aware of. I'm making numbers up based on my impressions. But I think Catholics generally like the Pope quite a bit more than that, but the people that are aware of his letters to Bishops are weighted towards Bishops. And for some reason US Bishops don't seem to like him.

There's no survey I'm aware of. I'm making numbers up based on my impressions. But I think Catholics generally like the Pope quite a bit more than that, but the people that are aware of his letters to Bishops are weighted towards Bishops. And for some reason US Bishops don't seem to like him.

because they're a rotten bunch of child-sexual-abuse enablers maybe. But I don't know, it could be a lot of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
because they're a rotten bunch of child-sexual-abuse enablers maybe. But I don't know, it could be a lot of things.

Hot take: that Catholic stereotype exists because Catholics were least effective at sweeping it under the rug/were first to stop sweeping the scale of it under the rug.

Hot take: that Catholic stereotype exists because Catholics were least effective at sweeping it under the rug/were first to stop sweeping the scale of it under the rug.

While I am sure child abuse/sexual abuse happens in ALL religions, what other religion here could transfer abusers around the county on the same scale they did?

I assume no other churches/religions operate at the same scale here, simply because of the size of the Catholic Church in the US. I don't think any other single denomination had more clergy and administrative employees. I could be wrong though

While I am sure child abuse/sexual abuse happens in ALL religions, what other religion here could transfer abusers around the county on the same scale they did?

I assume no other churches/religions operate at the same scale here, simply because of the size of the Catholic Church in the US. I don't think any other single denomination had more clergy and administrative employees. I could be wrong though

I think, maybe I should double check, but I think there were around 5,000 cases filed in the courts and an investigation (commissioned by the Church) that estimated there were 11,000 cases in the US. I don't know about if there are estimates from other sources.

In 2020 the Boy Scout Bankruptcy hearing was dealing with something like 80,000 cases. And I don't think the Boy Scouts are anywhere close to the size of the US Catholic Church.

Is my impression way off?

Here's the wikipedia page for that report:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jay_Report

"The report determined that, during the period from 1950 to 2002, a total of 10,667 individuals had made allegations of child sexual abuse. Of these, the dioceses had been able to identify 6,700 unique accusations against 4,392 clergy"

I think, maybe I should double check, but I think there were around 5,000 cases filed in the courts and an investigation (commissioned by the Church) that estimated there were 11,000 cases in the US. I don't know about if there are estimates from other sources.

In 2020 the Boy Scout Bankruptcy hearing was dealing with something like 80,000 cases. And I don't think the Boy Scouts are anywhere close to the size of the US Catholic Church.

Is my impression way off?
Jesus H. Christ...

The Boy Scout number of claims is way out of line with every other number I see on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_sex_abuse_cases

2,000 cases of abuse prior to 1994, but 82,000 claims in bankruptcy court? I suspect it's 2,000. Don't know what the significance of 82k is.

It could be the nature of how they publicly asked for people to submit claims. I mean, I saw ads on TV directing people to file claims and suggesting they could recover something.

I don't think they did that with the church. At least I don't recall any. From the stories I've read, seems the people that pursued the church had a whole agonizing process ahead of them. I'd imagine that would deter many from following up.

Anyway, the Holy Father thinks we should be better stewards of the planet. He is rather vocal about that. Personally, I would like that he denounce other issues as well with equal fervor.

As for “liking/disliking” him, that’s not my call. I am commanded by God Himself to never attack a priest in any way whatsoever, but to pray for him instead. Those who find fault with Pope Francis need to remember this. They are in grave error in their criticism.

Note: Disagreement on matters that are not bound by the Church is not criticism.

As for ?liking/disliking? him, that?s not my call. ....

He seems better than most popes. at least if the historical record is anything to go on.

I think going to Iraq was a big deal. Didn't make the news as much I thought it should. I'd buy him a beer at my local watering hole once COVID is over.

kinda unrelated...
That article had this quote:
Iraq is a young country. The median age is just 21.​

WHAT A FUN FACT! Gee I wonder why? Maybe because SOME other country invaded them, bragging about bombing them into the stone ages and killed tens of thousands of their people directly, while also causing a massive civil war that resulted in millions more Iraqis dying and millions more fleeing the country. COULD THAT BE WHY?

He seems better than most popes. at least if the historical record is anything to go on.

?Most?? There have been 266 including Francis. That?s praise indeed, considering.

I think going to Iraq was a big deal. Didn't make the news as much I thought it should. I'd buy him a beer at my local watering hole once COVID is over.

I?d like to see him visit his native country. It needs him now.

kinda unrelated...
That article had this quote:
Iraq is a young country. The median age is just 21.​

WHAT A FUN FACT! Gee I wonder why? Maybe because SOME other country invaded them, bragging about bombing them into the stone ages and killed tens of thousands of their people directly, while also causing a massive civil war that resulted in millions more Iraqis dying and millions more fleeing the country. COULD THAT BE WHY?

The reckoning, I fear, will be devastating.

Climate change website is back

https://www.epa.gov/climate-change

Not sure why it left since the two parties are allegedly the same on everything except abortion.

Does the website itself stop carbon emissions or climate change?

Let's see what Biden does, I guess... admitting it's real is better than denying it, but the last Democratic president we had spoke about it, and the need to address it, and then left office and went around bragging about expanding oil production in the US, so forgive me for being skeptical

EOBLvQzXsAAcsw-

Back