Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Confederate monuments

I think a hate crime, at least in my state, has to be crime first and then it becomes a hate crime if they can also prove some form of discrimination was part of the motivation.

That makes sense since hate itself is not a crime. I think they're very subjective and for that reason and others (sample size for example) the data is very unreliable.

Now Someone vandalized the Lincoln Memorial in DC, but since they wrote "FUCK LAW" I'm guessing it was a burned out lawyer or disgruntled law student, not a neo-nazi.

must be one of the benefits of the marijuana economy.

That is a small part of it and drawing a crowd that is most certainly not paying $3500/mo in rent. But I do know some former realtors, now cannabis executives making 7-figures, easy. There are "green tours" of losers who come to Colorado and tour all the dispensaries. You see some of the most bizarre driving at times, which I attribute to things. Problem is, Medicinal was always an option and if you didn't have a card, you knew people who did. Amendment 64 - full on recreational - has drawn tens of thousands of fucking losers who both visit and move here.

It sucks and is one reason I voted against A64 at the time. I don't mind weed - smoke it myself. I just saw the collateral damage it would, and has, caused.

Thank God Cali, Mass & a few other states legalized. Those losers can stay there!

Now Someone vandalized the Lincoln Memorial in DC, but since they wrote "FUCK LAW" I'm guessing it was a burned out lawyer or disgruntled law student, not a neo-nazi.

what about an anarchist, antifa fascist or some other idiot?

That is a small part of it and drawing a crowd that is most certainly not paying $3500/mo in rent. But I do know some former realtors, now cannabis executives making 7-figures, easy. There are "green tours" of losers who come to Colorado and tour all the dispensaries. You see some of the most bizarre driving at times, which I attribute to things. Problem is, Medicinal was always an option and if you didn't have a card, you knew people who did. Amendment 64 - full on recreational - has drawn tens of thousands of fucking losers who both visit and move here.

It sucks and is one reason I voted against A64 at the time. I don't mind weed - smoke it myself. I just saw the collateral damage it would, and has, caused.

Thank God Cali, Mass & a few other states legalized. Those losers can stay there!

that'll almost get you a studio apartment in New York.

what about an anarchist, antifa fascist or some other idiot?

no, it was an attorney or law student. no one else would write "fuck law."

maybe a paralegal... maybe. a really disgruntled one.

FYI, the main structural icon of Duke University (in Durham, where a monument just came down without government approval) is Duke chapel. Duke Chapel has about 10 people carved in stone lining the entrance. One of them is Robert E. Lee.

I was only made aware of that this week, but a lot of people are talking about it here now.

FYI, the main structural icon of Duke University (in Durham, where a monument just came down without government approval) is Duke chapel. Duke Chapel has about 10 people carved in stone lining the entrance. One of them is Robert E. Lee.

I was only made aware of that this week, but a lot of people are talking about it here now.

reason #3,478 to hate Duke.

That's an easy fix.

Just say everybody assumed it's supposed to be Robert E. Lee, but old forgotten recently discovered records show that it's actually the prophet Mohammad.

So let me get this right.
The KKK, The Ultra Right, and The Neo Nazi's can rally which is there right to do so.
But when counter protesters show up in force and stand up to these hate groups our president labels them the ultra-Left?
What the freak is wrong with this president. He is such a disgrace to the office of the presidency.

Lets get a few things straight mich.

1. The civil war was not about freeing the slaves.
2. The confederate leaders were no different from the US founding fathers

You are aware all your precious founding fathers were treasonous slave owning scum?

Let's get a few things straighter...

1. The Civil War started when confederate soldiers opened fire on Fort Sumter after trying to secede from the Union which was going to end the slave trade. So, you're part right, but not as much as you like to think.

2. Confederate leaders were nothing like the founding fathers.

And the last bit, completely wrong....John and Samuel Adams, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Paine never owned slaves. Benjamin Franklin, John Jay, and James Madison were abolitionists who later freed their slaves.

But...please tell us dumb Americans more about our own history, as only a former Soviet-Bloc Eastern European could.

that'll almost get you a studio apartment in New York.

Which is more than you'd get in San Francisco and to think Denver real estate would ever be uttered in the same breath is insane.

Of course adjusted for COLA and wage inflation, $3400/mo in Denver is more like $5000/mo in NYC or SF.

Which is more than you'd get in San Francisco and to think Denver real estate would ever be uttered in the same breath is insane.

Of course adjusted for COLA and wage inflation, $3400/mo in Denver is more like $5000/mo in NYC or SF.

$5k is the low end for 2 bedroom places in Manhattan. It's an awesome city and I had a lot of fun living there but it's absurd how much it costs. You can find a small 3 br for $7k but you can easily pay $10k/month to rent a 3 bedroom plus another $1-$1.5k if you want a parking spot (you can get that for $500 if you want to take a cab 20 blocks to your spot). Then tuition is $30k/yr/kid starting in preschool (if you can get them into the schools) unless you live in Tribecca and can get your kids into the one decent public school in the City - never mind the higher prices for virtually everything else.

Last edited:
$5k is the low end for 2 bedroom places in Manhattan. It's an awesome city and I had a lot of fun living there but it's absurd how much it costs. You can find a small 3 br for $7k but you can easily pay $10k/month to rent a 3 bedroom plus another $1-$1.5k if you want a parking spot (you can get that for $500 if you want to take a cab 20 blocks to your spot). Then tuition is $30k/yr/kid starting in preschool (if you can get them into the schools) unless you live in Tribecca and can get your kids into the one decent public school in the City - never mind the higher prices for virtually everything else.

Yeah, we were just in SF and that's how I know that it surpassed - technically - the NYC market as the most expensive ...something like 'average home selling price for SF as of June was $1.35M.'

We had friends from NY who moved from Upper East side to West Nyack when they had kids due exactly to the cost of pre-school tuition and lack of space. Seen that trend a few times amongst NY friends whether its a move to Rockland/Westchester or New Jersey.

Yeah, we were just in SF and that's how I know that it surpassed - technically - the NYC market as the most expensive ...something like 'average home selling price for SF as of June was $1.35M.'

We had friends from NY who moved from Upper East side to West Nyack when they had kids due exactly to the cost of pre-school tuition and lack of space. Seen that trend a few times amongst NY friends whether its a move to Rockland/Westchester or New Jersey.

we moved to NJ after our first was born and I would say no less than 70% of the young families we meet through school/sports followed the same path - met in the City, got married and lived there or Hoboken then moved out once they had kids. I don't commute to the City anymore so we're going to move again (6 years later) to avoid the commuter town premium. We also want to get out of Union county, one of the 3 most corrupt counties in one of the 3 most corrupt states - our prop taxes are up 18% in less than 6 years and that's after getting a reduction in yr 3 and it's not going to stop.

Last edited:
NYC is fun to visit, but I'll never understand living there. At some point, cities are just too big for you to enjoy all the things it has to offer and I don't see the point in paying more to go somewhere bigger.

I just heard there's actually a confederate monument at some cemetary here in Hollywood that's slated to be removed.

Had no idea there was one anywhere near me.

Last edited:
NYC is fun to visit, but I'll never understand living there. At some point, cities are just too big for you to enjoy all the things it has to offer and I don't see the point in paying more to go somewhere bigger.

It's not for everyone. But being too big to enjoy everything certainly doesn't make it not great - it means there's never a shortage of things to do. It's a different experience and if you like city living, NY is pretty tough to beat. I knew going in it probably wasn't going to be permanent. As a temporary lifestyle, for that time in my life, it was fantastic.

Last edited:
It's not for everyone. But being too big to enjoy everything certainly doesn't make it not great - it means there's never a shortage of things to do. It's a different experience and if you like city living, NY is pretty tough to beat. I knew going in it probably wasn't going to be permanent. As a temporary lifestyle, for that time in my life, it was fantastic.

At this point in my life, if for whatever reason it was expeditious for me to live in the area, I would live outside the city.

I would live in Jersey or Connecticut or Long Island.

I guess I would look into buying the house where my mom grew up in Bensonhurst.

Back