Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Confederate monuments

It's not for everyone. But being too big to enjoy everything certainly doesn't make it not great - it means there's never a shortage of things to do. It's a different experience and if you like city living, NY is pretty tough to beat. I knew going in it probably wasn't going to be permanent. As a temporary lifestyle, for that time in my life, it was fantastic.

The energy and pace is hard to beat and there is a ton to do. I had an opportunity to move to NYC for work a couple years ago (and could still now) but didn't and likely won't. Then my buddy - the classic Village to Brooklyn to NJ progression - was like, "who in the hell moves to NYC when they're 40?!"

And while the demographic Mack describes is common, I always get a kick out of the hardcore New Yorkers who have rarely "gone south of 59th" or like my NY counterpart who lives in Staten Island, takes the bus into Manhattan every day and who had never played golf until about 5yrs ago in his mid-50s.

At this point in my life, if for whatever reason it was expeditious for me to live in the area, I would live outside the city.

I would live in Jersey or Connecticut or Long Island.

I guess I would look into buying the house where my mom grew up in Bensonhurst.

Brooklyn has gotten ridiculously expensive as well particularly neighborhoods around the bridges but I'm sure Bensonhurst has probably seen it as well.

The energy and pace is hard to beat and there is a ton to do. I had an opportunity to move to NYC for work a couple years ago (and could still now) but didn't and likely won't. Then my buddy - the classic Village to Brooklyn to NJ progression - was like, "who in the hell moves to NYC when they're 40?!"

And while the demographic Mack describes is common, I always get a kick out of the hardcore New Yorkers who have rarely "gone south of 59th" or like my NY counterpart who lives in Staten Island, takes the bus into Manhattan every day and who had never played golf until about 5yrs ago in his mid-50s.

who doesn't go south of 59th street? you pretty much have to if you work in NYC.

I think the transient professional will always be a big part of NY - when you're single you don't really meet many people who were born and raised in Manhattan so very few of the people you work or hang out with are committed to living there and raising a family.

If you want to work in NY and live in a family friendly "suburb", my house is for sale...

Last edited:

Is it a water bus?

I know there are three bridges between Staten Island and New Jersey and the Verrazano Bridge (there's a guy buried in the bridge - he fell in the cement while the bridge was being built - fell in the cement - the dumb fuck) connects Staten Island and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, but seems like a circuitous way to take bus to Manhattan.

On a side note, a little internet research indicates that the legen-wait for it-dary-legendary - How I Met your Mother apartment on the Upper West Side would cost about 3 gs a month.

Let's get a few things straighter...

1. The Civil War started when confederate soldiers opened fire on Fort Sumter after trying to secede from the Union which was going to end the slave trade. So, you're part right, but not as much as you like to think.

2. Confederate leaders were nothing like the founding fathers.

And the last bit, completely wrong....John and Samuel Adams, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Paine never owned slaves. Benjamin Franklin, John Jay, and James Madison were abolitionists who later freed their slaves.

But...please tell us dumb Americans more about our own history, as only a former Soviet-Bloc Eastern European could.

1. Why do you think it took so long for the south to "attack" Union forts? The south attempted to leave peacefully. As a precondition the north military had to vacate its territory. There were numerous offers for the northern troops to withdraw peacefully from the fort. Fort Sumter was only fired upon after reinforcements of supplies and men were rumoured to be coming to reinforce it. Which they were. Thus the confederate firing on the fort can be viewed as response to northern aggression of sending additional troops into southern territory.

2. I am glad you conveniently glossed over the founding fathers being treasonous to the British crown. I assure you had the south won their leaders would have been seen in the same iconization as your current founding fathers. The difference a hero and traitor is simply a point of view. It still remains the majority of them owned slaves. Even those who freed them late in their lives profited greatly from owning slaves and the trade of slavery.

You name a total of 4 who you claim didn't own slaves. Technically Sam Adams reluctantly had a slave. Moreover Hamilton was active in the slave trade and owned slaves with his wife.
Thus I will concede 2 and 3/5ths of 4 you mentioned.

Is it a water bus?

I know there are three bridges between Staten Island and New Jersey and the Verrazano Bridge (there's a guy buried in the bridge - he fell in the cement while the bridge was being built - fell in the cement - the dumb fuck) connects Staten Island and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, but seems like a circuitous way to take bus to Manhattan.

On a side note, a little internet research indicates that the legen-wait for it-dary-legendary - How I Met your Mother apartment on the Upper West Side would cost about 3 gs a month.

no chance, it would cost at least 1.5x unless it was upper, upper, upper west side - like a 9 iron away from Yonkers.

Is it a water bus?

I don't know ..he just always takes the bus he says. One time we were speaking on the phone while Sully's plane slowly drifted down the Hudson as we were talking.

no chance, it would cost at least 1.5x unless it was upper, upper, upper west side - like a 9 iron away from Yonkers.

I don't see how they could've afforded even as much as three grand, but a lot of TV characters live in places they wouldn't really be able to afford if their lives weren't just something somebody made up.

Charlie Harper can probably afford his Malibu beach house. In the show he goes back-and-forth from owning it free and clear to it being mortgaged to the hilt.

Frasier Crane was probably able to afford his spectacular Seattle high-rise flat.

Sheldon and Leonard can probably afford their two bedroom Pasadena apartment no problem-their combined household income would be higher than $200,000 probably-but Penni across the hall-for her that would be a stretch.

Last edited:
I don't know ..he just always takes the bus he says. One time we were speaking on the phone while Sully's plane slowly drifted down the Hudson as we were talking.

Well he probably takes the ferry from the island and then take the bus from there to his final destination.

Is it a water bus?

I didn't watch that show when it was on live but watched the entire series on Netflix this past winter. It was a great series.

Well he probably takes the ferry from the island and then take the bus from there to his final destination.

makes sense - nobody would pay to take a bus to Brooklyn then Manhattan when the Staten Island Ferry is free and a lot faster...

Last edited:
I don't see how they could've afforded even as much as three grand, but a lot of TV characters live in places they wouldn't really be able to afford if their lives weren't just something somebody made up.

Charlie Harper can probably afford his Malibu beach house. In the show he goes back-and-forth from owning it free and clear to it being mortgaged to the hilt.

Frasier Crane was probably able to afford his spectacular Seattle high-rise flat.

Sheldon and Leonard can probably afford their two bedroom Pasadena apartment no problem-their combined household income would be higher than $200,000 probably-but Penni across the hall-for her that would be a stretch.

I watched some Frasier but haven't seen more than 5 minutes of the others, including How I Met Your Mother. I've seen enough Seinfeld to get about half the references people throw around. It's possible he could have afforded that place - Jim Gaffigan, his wife and their 4 kids actually live in a 2 br, or at least he did.

I'm pretty sure a ferry is the same thing as a water bus.

I'm pretty sure a ferry is the same thing as a water bus.

I guess functionally it is, although nobody ever calls it that.

Maybe we should write a TV show and call the ferry the water bus, and eventually people would start throwing the term around like it was a Seinfeld reference.

Kramer-there's another guy you wonder how he could've afforded to live where he did.

I didn't watch that show when it was on live but watched the entire series on Netflix this past winter. It was a great series.

Yes I'm pretty sure I turned you onto the show when I posted a few video clips from the Show especially around the time when Alan Thicke Died. The clips were pretty risqu?. You posted that it looked like it was a pretty show and you were going to check it out.

Because of the title a lot of people thought the show was sappy and sentimental and I guess occasionally it was but mostly it was about getting drunk and chasing women.

Back