Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Lions 2024 Off Season Thread

boogerlovejoy

Thought I would start this because I saw the story of the Eagles giving Haasan Reddick permission to seek a trade.

Yes please!!! I’d give our 2nd for him. Shit, I’d give our 1st for him.

Thought I would start this because I saw the story of the Eagles giving Haasan Reddick permission to seek a trade.

Yes please!!! I’d give our 2nd for him. Shit, I’d give our 1st for him.

I’ll pass on giving up a 1st for a player that will be turning 30 at the start of the season.

I’ll offer them back the Swift pick and take on the salary.

I’ll pass on giving up a 1st for a player that will be turning 30 at the start of the season.

I’ll offer them back the Swift pick and take on the salary.

No, I wouldn’t really give a 1st……but I would gave one of our 3rds and another pick next year. Maybe close to 30, but had 51 sacks over the last 4 years, for 3 different teams so you know it’s not just scheme related, and hasn’t missed a game in his entire career. He can always be extended to lower the immediate cap number.

Maybe not Reddick, but something needs to be done to address the other defense event spot. My guess is we got less production from that spot than any other team in the NFL.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/05/lions-defense-qb-pressure-rate-hutchinson-2023-nfl-stats/

Detroit was 2nd overall in the league in pressure rate on defense. Hutch was a big reason but the Lions were getting pressure, just not finishing with sacks or the coverage would break down and they couldn't get there

That said, you can never have enough pass rusher and another stud opposite Hutch would be amazing. Or even another interior rusher (McNeil was very good though)

29 will be interesting if there is one on the board. CB1 the biggest need though, I don't know if a rookie CB at pick 29 can be CB 1 right away. Plus we'll see what free agency happen. Some re-signs (Glasgown, JRM, maybe Reynolds), Goff and St Brown extensions and maybe one big name player (CB1 vet) would be nice. Then draft is wide open

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cornerback/all/

Give me Sneed or Jaylon Johnson and move Sutton to CB2. Pick 29 you guard or DE or maybe WR X (if they don't bring back Reynolds). Round 2 and 3 what you didn't get in Round 1

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/05/lions-defense-qb-pressure-rate-hutchinson-2023-nfl-stats/

Detroit was 2nd overall in the league in pressure rate on defense. Hutch was a big reason but the Lions were getting pressure, just not finishing with sacks or the coverage would break down and they couldn't get there

That said, you can never have enough pass rusher and another stud opposite Hutch would be amazing. Or even another interior rusher (McNeil was very good though)

29 will be interesting if there is one on the board. CB1 the biggest need though, I don't know if a rookie CB at pick 29 can be CB 1 right away. Plus we'll see what free agency happen. Some re-signs (Glasgown, JRM, maybe Reynolds), Goff and St Brown extensions and maybe one big name player (CB1 vet) would be nice. Then draft is wide open

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cornerback/all/

Give me Sneed or Jaylon Johnson and move Sutton to CB2. Pick 29 you guard or DE or maybe WR X (if they don't bring back Reynolds). Round 2 and 3 what you didn't get in Round 1

That is some misleading, cherry picking stats! There is no way you watched the 2023 Lions and thought to yourself, "man, we get so much pressure".

23rd in sacks with 41. No athletic DE's on our roster besides Hutch that can run down the QB's. We were AWFUL with QB's outside the pocket. We also were BY FAR the worst in the league in air yards the ball traveled before being caught. Yes, part of that is on the DB's.....but you have to have time to let deeper routes develop and our piss poor pass rush gave QB's too much time far too often.

Improving the coverage will help.....but if we don't improve the pass rush it won't matter. We could line up Deion, Revis and Woodson and watch them all give up yards.

That is some misleading, cherry picking stats! There is no way you watched the 2023 Lions and thought to yourself, "man, we get so much pressure".

23rd in sacks with 41. No athletic DE's on our roster besides Hutch that can run down the QB's. We were AWFUL with QB's outside the pocket. We also were BY FAR the worst in the league in air yards the ball traveled before being caught. Yes, part of that is on the DB's.....but you have to have time to let deeper routes develop and our piss poor pass rush gave QB's too much time far too often.

Improving the coverage will help.....but if we don't improve the pass rush it won't matter. We could line up Deion, Revis and Woodson and watch them all give up yards.

Not really cherry picked since it was all year for all teams. But there are caveats for sure, they didn't finish with sacks and the coverage got busted often (maybe because of sending extra for blitzes too)

Somehow the Lions were 2nd. But maybe Glenn had to blitz a bunch to make it happen. One on ones Okwaras, Cominsky, Paschal, Harris, Levi O all disappointed and Houston was hurt all year. And the NTs clearly don't get pressure. Hutch and McNeil were it and then some smart blitzing by Glenn in second half of season.

Agree still need an upgrade at EDGE plus Houston healthy to help the Lions pass rush well without blitzing.

How remarkable was Dan Campbell's turnaround after a 4-19-1 start?
Notable Records in first 24 games:Bill Parcells: 7-16-1 Jimmy Johnson: 4-20 Bill Walsh: 5-19
Parcells and Johnson went on to win the Super Bowl in the 4th Season. Walsh won it in his 3rd Season.
Few coaches have recovered from such starts, even fewer go on to experience the ultimate success.
Dan Campbell is entering his 4th Season with a talented football team, likely to add even more talent with Brad Holmes at the helm.The Detroit Lions are the team to watch this offseason. Can they build a defense capable of winning a Super Bowl? Most believe under the right circumstances, the offense is more than capable.

Julian Okwara signed with the Eagles.

I saw we are negotiating an extension for ARSB. 3 years around $25 million per year. That's a great number for a premier WR.

Hopefully we have started with Penei as well.

Julian Okwara signed with the Eagles.

I saw we are negotiating an extension for ARSB. 3 years around $25 million per year. That's a great number for a premier WR.

Hopefully we have started with Penei as well.
I didn't think free agency started yet

I didn't think free agency started yet
Julian Okwara was on a PS and not given a futures deal. So he was a street free agent which they can sign right now. Same with cuts can be made too and future deals given.

UFA and RFAs can't be given new deals or negotiate yet. Players under contract for Lions can negotiate though. Get St Brown and Alim McNeil signed now. Got 5th year 2025 option for Penei so I bet he is next year

Lions cut Tracy Walker and save 5.5 million in cap space

Signing was fine at the time in 2021 as they didn't have many options. Then Walke tore achilles and now Kerby and Ife are better than him. Definitely not worth a 12 million cap hit.

Safety depth is needed though with CGJ a UFA and Walker gone. I know Branch can play safety but we still want him at nickel starting.

CB1 still the biggest need along with Guard due to two UFAs, 2nd consistent pass rusher on EDGE

Cap increased to 255.4 million

Huge increase

With walker cut, lions have 64 million and 55 million after factor in draft picks

So really 45 million to spend with buffer

Extend Goff probably lowers his 31 mil cap hit so even more room

St Brown and McNeil extensions and a guard re sign will take up a good amount though but still plenty to spend if they want a good vet cb1

Last edited:
I like reddick. Paying his 14 mil base salary...sure. paying his entire 21mil dead cap.... no thanks. So if they could figure that out id be interested.
Really depends on how much cap room we have if they start extending players.

If im selfish you don't extend anyone and add pieces this year on short term contracts to win now. Then blow it all up and resign guys after you win the super bowl next year lol. Like the rams did.

15.5 for Reddick only in a trade. Eagles eat the rest

Re-signed LB/ST All-Pro Jalen Reeves Mabin 2 years 7.5 million
Re-signed CB Emmanuel Moseley 1 year deal (hopefully much cheaper than last year after another ACL injury). Worth a shot for depth but could be a good starter
Re-signed TE Shane Zylstra 1 year deal

Is it just me or does it appear every other team in the. NFC North is getting better while the Lions are doing little to nothing?
Holmes must think he can do everything thru the draft.

Is it just me or does it appear every other team in the. NFC North is getting better while the Lions are doing little to nothing?
Holmes must think he can do everything thru the draft.
MN lost their starting QB. GB added Jacobs but releasing Jones. Not sure that Jacobs is any better than Jones. Bears add Swift which is an upgrade but he doesn't stay healthy. My guess is the Bears are going to have a rookie QB, so that is a huge question mark.

Glasgow back is huge 3 year 20 million not bad at all

Jonah Jackson got 17 per to Rams. I am ok with letting him walk after how he played this year pus 2 injuries

Robert Hunt got 20 per from the Panthers

Yeah. Draft a left guard

Tampa Bay just traded us CB Carlton Davis II and two 6th round picks (this year and next year) for our 3rd round pick this year.

Huge trade, IMO

Tampa Bay just traded us CB Carlton Davis II and two 6th round picks (this year and next year) for our 3rd round pick this year.

Huge trade, IMO

I like Holmes, my only knock on him, is when do we stop gambling on injury prone players? Mosley and Davis have both shown to be good CBs but neither can stay on the field.

Back