Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/07/brad_ausmus_announces_rotation.html#incart_river

Good call. I had seen the headline but didn't read the article. I wouldn't call him up. Even if he had a decent start he needs to work on his game before he brings it against major league players again. VerHagen would be my choice but it would be after seven days off.

VerHagen would not be my choice. He's not on the 40-man roster, which means juggling someone off it to make room for 1 start, and starting his FA clock.

Frankly I'd go with Ray or Miller for a spot start. It's 1 game and we have a decent division lead so I'd just hope one of them can eat 5-6 innings and give us a chance.

VerHagen would not be my choice. He's not on the 40-man roster, which means juggling someone off it to make room for 1 start, and starting his FA clock.

Frankly I'd go with Ray or Miller for a spot start. It's 1 game and we have a decent division lead so I'd just hope one of them can eat 5-6 innings and give us a chance.

VerHagen is 24 - now is the time to see. Francisco Martinez, Jose Ortega and Jose Valdez are on the 40 man roster and I wouldn't shed a tear losing any of them. I'll agree Ray is easier since he is already on but I don't have faith that he can eat the 5 innings you want right now. I think Drew has the best chance to. THOUGH Cleveland's best hitters are all left-handed hitters.

Miller hasn't started a game all season and isn't under consideration I'm sure.

Looking back....
Would you rather have Fister, Smyly, Jackson and Benoit.
Or
Price, Ray, Krol, Nathan and Joba.

I am sure I am missing a player... Making the playoffs is going to be tight.. Hopefully we can right the ship...

Fister 12-3 now.

I'd rather have him and then a good haul for scherzer

Fister 12-3 now.

I'd rather have him and then a good haul for scherzer

I was hoping if they traded someone it would be Max. Though now we get nothing for Max..and don't have Fister. And Price realizes this offense stinks so he'll leave after '15. JV might be continue downhill, Sanchez will keep getting injured and Porcello is the new #1.

I was hoping if they traded someone it would be Max. Though now we get nothing for Max..and don't have Fister. And Price realizes this offense stinks so he'll leave after '15. JV might be continue downhill, Sanchez will keep getting injured and Porcello is the new #1.

We'll get a late first round draft pick that we can trade away for someone else on the last year of their contract. Probably another starter.

I wasn't hoping they would trade anyone in particular, my hope was that if they traded anyone they would get similar production from a position of need. I would have loved to have traded a started and gotten a speedy lh hitting lf with a high obp. Someone like brett Gardner or Denard span would have been a better return, I don't have spans numbers handy and we'd need more than just him but equivalent production would have been nice.

Last 3 year's Away

Gardner .340 OBP .388 SLG .728 OPS

Span .298 OBP .341 SLG .639 OPS

IMHO, there are better options than Gardner or Span. Belt or Duda have better numbers versus RHP over the last 3 years, albeit less defense. they also wouldn't come with the cost.

Too bad Seth Smith, especially with his signed extension, wasn't sought after.

I wasn't hoping they would trade anyone in particular, my hope was that if they traded anyone they would get similar production from a position of need. I would have loved to have traded a started and gotten a speedy lh hitting lf with a high obp. Someone like brett Gardner or Denard span would have been a better return, I don't have spans numbers handy and we'd need more than just him but equivalent production would have been nice.

I think because once Max turned down the 144m we might as well get something for him (I forget that we get a pick) and we still had enough pitching. The Fister trade blows because the returned blows..But I'm all for getting some OBP guy though coming here it might automatically drop 50 points.

I think because once Max turned down the 144m we might as well get something for him (I forget that we get a pick) and we still had enough pitching. The Fister trade blows because the returned blows..But I'm all for getting some OBP guy though coming here it might automatically drop 50 points.

Back-pocket trades are rare. But this Fister trade has a long ways to go, before being ruled a failure. It was never intended for Ray to start in April-August of 2014.

Back-pocket trades are rare. But this Fister trade has a long ways to go, before being ruled a failure. It was never intended for Ray to start in April-August of 2014.

I know Ray was a future option. But with Fister being cheap, under control and still relatively young..and a prospect is just that and the fact he wasnt rated very high. Include a loogy and a SS that never had a future..it didn't look good and so far..

And it sounded like other teams didn't even know he was for sale..

Fister is a Top 30 starter (0-30). Ray doesn't even project to be more than a #4 or #5 (91-150) and that is if he develops his secondary and/or tertiary pitches. What do we need to wait on? 2-3 years to see if he becomes a backend starter?

And this trade does get evaluated as to what it did or didn't do for DET this year. Lombardozzi was supposed to be the primary utility infielder. He was move for 9 days of an over-the-hill SS. Krol was supposed to be the shutdown LOOGY that Coke was supposed to be. And as of right now, Coke is better than Krol.

The only way this trade is not a failure is if Ray develops into a #1 or #2 starter and DET continues to make the playoffs when he does. Otherwise, this is an epic failure because it didn't help "win now".

And any notion this was a costing saving move is just plain hogwash. There is no evidence to that. In fact, the evidence point away from it.

And any notion this was a costing saving move is just plain hogwash. There is no evidence to that. In fact, the evidence point away from it.

In fact the "evidence" is starting to show, the Tigers did not get anything out of this trade!

Ian Krol's 1.74 HR/9 is the highest among current AL relievers with at least 30 IP this season. His fWAR per IP is 3rd worst. #BeardedMumza

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...ers-fall-victim-to-baseballs-speed-obsession/

So I've been annoyed about the continuous fister trade talk when there have been more pressing issues, but this article is too interesting not to bring up. His overall point meshes well with what I think of DD: he is obsessed with power arms and thinks guys with sub-90s fastballs are largely worthless.

It took a while for the author to get to his point..And I don't agree with this "I mean Dombrowski?s a smart guy ? you know he shopped Fister around.."

From what I heard after the trade he didn't seem to shop him around at all..But it's no surprise Dombrowski loves hard throwers so much. It might be too early but Ray's a piece of shit. Not too mention the loogy Krol.

Again, for the record:

Fister, Smyly, Austin Jackson and Willy Adames for Price, Ray and Krol

Back