Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gibbons kicked off team

Regarding people that think there was a cover up because he was needed on the field. 2009 he didn't play. 2010, he was 1-5. By 2011 he started kicking better.

I wonder how the Daily found out. If Michigan was sitting on it and something came to light and Michigan suddenly had to get out ahead of it, then it would have gone public as soon as they took action, not a month later.

You know nothing of how a vagina works if you think vaginal tearing and bruising equals rape

No one take that as defending Gibbons. It's just science.

Come on now, sbee knows plenty about vaginas. Especially how annoying it is when sand gets stuck up there.

Someone from the Office of Student Conflict Resolution explained how the process works. They said it can take a while, but never more than a semester. They don't investigate; someone has to bring the case to them.

It's speculation, but if douglas2k put the case together and took it to the OSCR shortly after he was posting here, that might fit the timing.

I am glad it is now clear and investigated. Butnsirrynthenyoung man was such a scumbag

I think it did lead to the changes i policy and procedure

Unfortunately i think all schools to face these issues....and the challenge is hiw to investigate both sides of a story fairly

Maybe if Gibbons had incorporated a game of table strip-football into the festivities and invited some of his buddies to play as well his name would have never been publicized. Harsh, I know, but just more indication of how skewed our own priorities (and those of the Michigan and MSU athletic departments) can be. I think it's time to revert to all male and all female dorms with visiting hours and lockdowns. Who would feel comfortable sending their daughters to college? Not me. Glad my own is out of college.

Last edited:
You know nothing of how a vagina works if you think vaginal tearing and bruising equals rape

No one take that as defending Gibbons. It's just science.

He probably knows a lot about it. I am sure he has sand in his all the time.

Rivalry aside, this looks awful. he's accused 4 years ago, the girl goes to the police, doesn't press charges. Lewan supposedly threatened her in public with witnesses, university police warn Lewan to leave the girl alone. in the meantime, Gibbons is allowed to continue his career and makes a bunch of big game winning kicks, after his senior year is over he gets kicked off the team. this action would have been considered appropriate 4 years ago, Gibbons should have been booted and Lewan suspended. this is too little too late.

imagine if this exact same thing happened at a SEC or BIG 12 school I'm sure you'd have problems with it as well.

Rivalry aside, this looks awful. he's accused 4 years ago, the girl goes to the police, doesn't press charges. Lewan supposedly threatened her in public with witnesses, university police warn Lewan to leave the girl alone. in the meantime, Gibbons is allowed to continue his career and makes a bunch of big game winning kicks, after his senior year is over he gets kicked off the team. this action would have been considered appropriate 4 years ago, Gibbons should have been booted and Lewan suspended. this is too little too late.

imagine if this exact same thing happened at a SEC or BIG 12 school I'm sure you'd have problems with it as well.

Maybe a minor issue of differentiation, but I don't think he was ever kicked off the team. That's something the football program never decided to do. He was kicked out of the school by the school administration.

I can excuse the police for not pursuing the case as it seems she only wanted it addressed at the university level. I don't then understand why the university took 4 years to arrive at this decision. And I really question why the football program never seemingly did anything, across the full 4 years.

That's horrible. You think you need to tell us to imagine what this would be like somewhere else to have problems with it? Why would you start a post with "Rivalry aside"? You can't put the rivalry aside. You're so hopelessly biased you think we can't even see that we should have problems with this, even though any moron reading this thread could see that we do.

Last edited:

It does look awful. Disturbing. As disturbing as two unnamed MSU b-ball players playing strip-hoop-alleged-sexual-assault in Wonders Hall with impunity. How interested are you in even discovering their identities?

Maybe a minor issue of differentiation, but I don't think he was ever kicked off the team. That's something the football program never decided to do. He was kicked out of the school by the school administration.

I can excuse the police for not pursuing the case as it seems she only wanted it addressed at the university level. I don't then understand why the university took 4 years to arrive at this decision. And I really question why the football program never seemingly did anything, across the full 4 years.

We're going to have to wait for answers; I'm sure the University will have to say something about it. And I suspect the Sept 2013 policy change will be a part of it. From 2011 to Sept 2013, someone would have had to present a case to the Office of Student Conflict Resolution that made people think there was a 50.1% chance of guilt. In Sept 2013, the University gave itself the ability to conduct it own investigation.

We're going to have to wait for answers; I'm sure the University will have to say something about it. And I suspect the Sept 2013 policy change will be a part of it. From 2011 to Sept 2013, someone would have had to present a case to the Office of Student Conflict Resolution that made people think there was a 50.1% chance of guilt. In Sept 2013, the University gave itself the ability to conduct it own investigation.

I look forward to those answers.

I find it troubling that the university had policies in place at any point in time that precluded themselves from acting on this.

I also find it troubling that upon the university learning of the allegations and arrest in November of 2009, that it would take them until September of 2013 for them to change/modify/add some policy in such a manner that they could begin to investigate.

I also find it troubling that through that whole window of time (little over 4 years), the football program, which has the flexibility to operate at a higher standard than the legal system or the university in terms of keeping a player playing, seemingly chose to do nothing short of keeping the kid playing and enjoying all the trappings of a scholarship athlete.

Back