Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hurricane's a comin'

yeah, but there are no basements in Texas; everyone's box is on the side of their house.

I'd have the line wired in the backyard behind the privacy fence so at least any would -be thieves would have to contend with that obstacle. then bolt or chain the generator to
something. I'd also have to shelter it with a small canopy from the elements

I guess you can get a muffler for a generator to cut down on the noise (?) seems like they should just come with one.

The easier way to do it all would be to spring for one of the whole-house generators that runs on natural gas & clicks on as soon as the power goes out.

tough to justify the expense where we are though... (knocks on wood)

Looks like the rainfall is exceeding the forecasted amounts already, with more to come. things will flood that have never flooded before.

Lot of water here. There's a chance all my paths into town could get blocked.

keep an axe in your attic, and a white bedsheet that says "S.O.S." in case it gets worse.

probably too late to go to the store if you need those.

maybe you can fashion a crude stone axe using a narrow-edged rock, some sinew, and a stick

keep an axe in your attic, and a white bedsheet that says "S.O.S." in case it gets worse.

probably too late to go to the store if you need those.

maybe you can fashion a crude stone axe using a narrow-edged rock, some sinew, and a stick

I'm good. I could get stuck here. I could have trees fall on my house. But if it floods to the point where I'd think about getting on the roof, I'd have to rethink my criticism for those people that built an ark.

Indeed. there is an almost Biblical element to unrelenting heavy rainfall. I felt it during days 3-4 of Hurricane Harvey.

the Lord gave us fossil fuels to burn all we want, but physics taught us that warms the atmosphere and seas, leading to more intense tropical storms, and more moisture in the air.

the Lord should not have given us so many fossil fuels maybe.

yeah, but there are no basements in Texas; everyone's box is on the side of their house.

I'd have the line wired in the backyard behind the privacy fence so at least any would -be thieves would have to contend with that obstacle. then bolt or chain the generator to
something. I'd also have to shelter it with a small canopy from the elements

I guess you can get a muffler for a generator to cut down on the noise (?) seems like they should just come with one.

The easier way to do it all would be to spring for one of the whole-house generators that runs on natural gas & clicks on as soon as the power goes out.

tough to justify the expense where we are though... (knocks on wood)

are you on solid concrete or do you have a crawlspace you can run the wire through so it's not visible?

and you can get a trifuel portable generator that will run on natural gas and will be more quiet as well. it probably won't give you whole-house power, depending on how much power your house uses but it's quieter than the same generator burning gas and doesn't require stockpiling fuel. That would require a nat gas hookup but that's no different than a stationary whole-house unit.

You definitely want the interlock though - it's a $5 piece of plastic that will potentially save you $10s of thousands by making it impossible for street power to come through when the generator is supplying power and vice versa.

Last edited:
we're on a concrete slab. pretty much all newer (post 1975) construction around here is.

they throw them up as quickly as possible and my understanding is a slab is the cheapest way to go for a builder.

we're on a concrete slab. pretty much all newer (post 1975) construction around here is.

they throw them up as quickly as possible and my understanding is a slab is the cheapest way to go for a builder.

Close. Cheaper still would be a dirt crawlspace with concrete footings for pilings.

I feel like the reporter isn't 100% clear on what the story is. Is it the "worst of the worst" or "people getting desperate"? Looting TVs and liquor is the worst of the worst, stealing water and food when you're out is desperate. I'm not sure what we're looking at here.

shocker...looting after a hurricane.

what's the point of living in Hurricane country if you can't loot? Unfortunately for me I had just had my appendix out and a hernia repaired the day before Sandy hit, plus there were 4 rather large pines laying across my driveway blocking my cars in - looting was out of the question for me, no way to get a new flat screen home even if I could lift it up.

Last edited:
How come dumbass republitards make such a big deal out of the small handful of property theft incidents that happen during a hurricane?

Seriously, if you ranked all the threats people in that area are facing RIGHT NOW, a store or two or even three - out of thousands - getting looted has to be dead last.

And their losses are almost certainly insured, and if not it's really the owner's negligence...

Last edited by a moderator:
How come dumbass republitards make such a big deal out of the small handful of property theft incidents that happen during a hurricane?

Seriously, if you ranked all the threats people in that area are facing RIGHT NOW, a store or two or even three - out of thousands - getting looted has to be dead last.

And their losses are almost certainly insured, and if not it's really the owner's negligence...

So it's OK to break into someone else's property, steal what isn't yours, as long as there is bad weather? Hell, might as well head to the local Lexus dealership and get a new SUV. The owner should have insurance!

I feel like the reporter isn't 100% clear on what the story is. Is it the "worst of the worst" or "people getting desperate"? Looting TVs and liquor is the worst of the worst, stealing water and food when you're out is desperate. I'm not sure what we're looking at here.

Liquor isn't that bad.

Alcohol is a very perishable substance with a limited shelf life.

If a person doesn't steal it in the aftermath of a hurricane it's probably going to spoil and go bad anyway - why let it go to waste?

Looting TVs is crossing the line a little bit, although the same theory could apply - the TVs being stolen would be end up being obsolete and going to waste when the next generation of advancements came out, if they hadn't been stolen.

So it's OK to break into someone else's property, steal what isn't yours, as long as there is bad weather? Hell, might as well head to the local Lexus dealership and get a new SUV. The owner should have insurance!

A Lexus isn't as portable in the rain as liquor or flat screen TVs.

It's hard to shove under one's shirt.

Liquor isn't that bad.

Alcohol is a very perishable substance with a limited shelf life.

If a person doesn't steal it in the aftermath of a hurricane it's probably going to spoil and go bad anyway - why let it go to waste?

Looting TVs is crossing the line a little bit, although the same theory could apply - the TVs being stolen would be end up being obsolete and going to waste when the next generation of advancements came out, if they hadn't been stolen.

The car was bright red, officer, totally ripe. I just felt terrible thinking about the loss if I let it spoil.

A Lexus isn't as portable in the rain as liquor or flat screen TVs.

It's hard to shove under one's shirt.

but just think how much liquor and flat screens you could jam into a Lexus SUV. Plus, they will be coming out with a new model next year anyway...the 2018's are getting obsolete.

Huh?

"this is not that big of a deal, republitard" =/= "this is okay"

Back