Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions anti-homer thought processes

phantom PI call allows us to beat saints and a phantom delay of game call allows us to beat ATL. Only the lions have headlines like the one below lol....

Lions Fuck Themselves Into A Win

Samer Kalaf
ProfileFollow

Sunday 12:57pm

Lions Fuck Themselves Into A Win

We're used to the Lions beating themselves, but today, Detroit screwed themselves so badly, they won.

Down by two, the Lions got the ball with 1:38 remaining after a poorly managed Falcons series, and manufactured a drive to get into field goal range. Keep in mind that the Lions are on their third kicker of the season, Matt Prater. They're 6 of 16 on field goals. Prater lined up for the 43-yard attempt, and it went wide right as time expired.

Wait a second, a flag! Even though the Lions managed the clock perfectly for their attempt by kneeling then spiking the ball, they somehow got hit with a delay of game. That penalty's automatically enforced, so the Falcons couldn't decline it and win. The Lions got another attempt, at 48 yards, and Prater nailed it for the Detroit victory. Congratulations on sucking so hard, Lions.

Samer Kalaf’s DiscussionsAll replies

Last edited:
It wasn't easy. It was hard but he made it look easy. The fake sold it.

Tons of drops, bps, throw aways in that game. Give him his weapons back. Big second half.

A clean lane and Dump off pass behind line of scrimmage is now considered a great throw. Wow. Oline sold the run to the left, any QB 1st string to 3rd can make that play happen. Good call by Lombardi. Stafford did his job on the play, but nowhere near great.

What were the drops in that game? How many were there? I don't recall any.

Stafford has done plenty in every win. Clutch throws late in games and on 3rd down. Giants/Jets clearly enough. Falcons/Saints so clutch. Pack game great last 5 drives. Vikings game cruised to easy win with three good drives (plus 2 missed FGs). So really five drives.

Five should be point drives a game gets it down easily. 3 TDs and 2 FGs is 27 points.

Not completely inaccurate, it was a catch leading him. Do you know how to lead a receiver? Guess not.

Last edited:
Stafford has done plenty in every win. Clutch throws late in games and on 3rd down. Giants/Jets clearly enough. Falcons/Saints so clutch. Pack game great last 5 drives. Vikings game cruised to easy win with three good drives.

Not completely inaccurate, it was a catch leading him. Do you know how to lead a receiver? Guess not.

clutch throws only because were down the entire game and he did nothing the first 3 qtrs.

yes, im assuming most NFL qbs will tell you leading a receiver doesn't equate to a running back catching the ball with 1 hand fully outstretched and low on an 8 yard pass. Heck he couldn't even lead the guy in the pepsi commercial on a 3 yd pass.

clutch throws only because were down the entire game and he did nothing the first 3 qtrs.

yes, im assuming most NFL qbs will tell you leading a receiver doesn't equate to a running back catching the ball with 1 hand fully outstretched and low on an 8 yard pass. Heck he couldn't even lead the guy in the pepsi commercial on a 3 yd pass.

We had a TD drive against Saints in 3rd. And we scored last 5 possesions against Atlanta. It's like you don't even watch the games.

We had a TD drive against Saints in 3rd. And we scored last 5 possesions against Atlanta. It's like you don't even watch the games.

yup....its everyone else that's wrong. every single analyst, sports show, statistical analysis showing stafford isnt very good and our offense isn't consistent. Everyone else is wrong.

0 points vs a crappy atl defense in the first half
3 points vs a crappy NO defense in the first half
17 points vs a horrible MIN team
14 points and Schwartz carried off the field on his plays shoulders vs BUF
7 point 2nd half vs the jets to let them back into the game
3 points thru 3 qtrs. vs GB then bush bailed Stafford out by a long run
7 points vs car. 7.

the giants game is the only game the offense played well so far this year.

were 25th in scoring offense. You realize theres only 32 teams, right? Its like you don't even watch football. Washington has scored more per game than us and they are on their 3rd qb.

His numbers are increasing BECAUSE he is getting the ball thrown his way more often.

Again.. if the ball were not being targeted accurately, and it wasn't being throw into space where yards after catch were possible, Golden Tate would not be leading the league in YAC.

It's the age old argument... did Montana make Rice look better, or did Rice make Montana better?

The simplest form of that argument is that Rice played with four QBs and they all looked amazing with Rice. Montana never had a great season without Jerry. So a typical false equivalency argument is that Jerry made Montana better.

Simply not the case. Two great players together make things happen.

Golden Tate has never had a season with more than 900 yards (898 to be exact) even when he was the featured receiver on a championship team. So it would be a false equivalency to say Stafford is making him better since he's on pace for 1600 yards, but it's equally false to say Stafford isn't making him better just because we pass more than Seattle ever did.

There are a million IF's in football... if the ball isn't thrown well.. if Stafford doesn't lead his targets... if Tate doesn't find open space... if if if...

The arguments are all a bunch of complete bullshit. Tate is having the best year of his career by nearly double the numbers after 8 games, and the Lions are winning with Stafford throwing the ball.

Stafford is a good Qb with a pretty bad line, Tate is a good receiver with a QB who can throw the ball his way instead of relying on his wheels all the time. The IF's don't matter, and the minutia is a complete crock.

Again.. if the ball were not being targeted accurately, and it wasn't being throw into space where yards after catch were possible, Golden Tate would not be leading the league in YAC.

It's the age old argument... did Montana make Rice look better, or did Rice make Montana better?

The simplest form of that argument is that Rice played with four QBs and they all looked amazing with Rice. Montana never had a great season without Jerry. So a typical false equivalency argument is that Jerry made Montana better.

Golden Tate has never had a season with more than 900 yards (898 to be exact) even when he was the featured receiver on a championship team. So it would be a false equivalency to say Stafford is making him better since he's on pace for 1600 yards, but it's equally false to say Stafford isn't making him better just because we pass more than Seattle ever did.

There are a million IF's in football... if the ball isn't thrown well.. if Stafford doesn't lead his targets... if Tate doesn't find open space... if if if...

The arguments are all a bunch of complete bullshit. Tate is having the best year of his career by nearly double the numbers after 8 games, and the Lions are winning with Stafford throwing the ball.

Stafford is a good Qb with a pretty bad line, Tate is a good receiver with a QB who can throw the ball his way instead of relying on his wheels all the time. The IF's don't matter, and the minutia is a complete crock.

but tate is putting up yards, Stafford is putting up yards.....and our offense has been less than average. you keep using all the terms like "good" and bringing up examples of jerry rice and joe Montana. right now our offense is on pace to be more like colt McCoy and pierre garcon. its not good.

admittingly, tate has put up better numbers than I ever expected (although his numbers with calvin were pedestrian which I did predict). But he wasn't expected to ever be the 1 in seattle....2 guys infront of him got injured to put him there. Once those guys were healthy they chose to keep Baldwin and kearse over him....harvin who they later traded, and Rice who they later released.

He will be a great #2 if Stafford continues to get him to contribute when calvin is back. But as a #1 our offense has struggled mightily....and doesn't belong in any discussion that involves jerry rice and joe Montana.

Montana had a few very good seasons before Jerry arrived

1982 - 1st in TDs, 2nd in yards, 5 in rating
1983 - 4th in TDs, 4 in yards, 5 in rating
1984 - 3rd in TDs, 6 in yards, 2 in rating

They played with each other during their prime, so it makes sense that their best together.

Last edited:
The one thing Stafford has done so far this year, producing late in the game to put his team in a position to win. He did not do this in the past. I'll take it because that was my biggest complaint (choke). Elite QB's win games and Super Bowls. His stats are not glorious but he has been playing like an elite QB with virtually no TE, running game and of course Megatron. The O line had not played well either.

Tate is not leading the league in YAC. Forte & Bell are both in front of him.

The Lions are winning because their defense is playing well this year. In years past when Stafford "threw the ball well" and the defense sucked they didn't win.

Tate is accumulating more yards because he is being targeted at a higher rate. He would have similar numbers with 80 targets with any average QB.

The one thing Stafford has done so far this year, producing late in the game to put his team in a position to win. He did not do this in the past. I'll take it because that was my biggest complaint (choke). Elite QB's win games and Super Bowls. His stats are not glorious but he has been playing like an elite QB with virtually no TE, running game and of course Megatron. The O line had not played well either.

It's good he has played better late in games, but part of being elite is not being in a position like that. We all saw the stats only the second or third QB to bring back a team from 21 down to win a game 3 times in his career.

Sounds impressive, but Aaron Rodgers has only been behind by 21 in 3 games his entire career (counting saints game last week). Never been down by 21 by half time. To comeback from 21 means you need to be down that many, elite QBs don't get down that far.

We need a lot to go right for us in the 4th quarter for us to win the last two games, and luckily we've gotten that. But this is not sustainable winning football.

Well, again, I see progress in his late game management. Stat wise, taking Megatron out well have a significant impact overall . Last year, he just folded when we needed him. This year, he is the difference late in the game and a lousy kicker lost a win as well. I hope he keeps it up because we will make the playoffs with him playing at this level and the speed/scheme of the defense. Half way through and I am less skeptical.

Last edited:
Well, again, I see progress in his late game management. Stat wise, taking Megatron out well have a significant impact overall . Last year, he just folded when we needed him. This year, he is the difference late in the game and a lousy kicker lost a win as well. I hope he keeps it up because we will make the playoffs with him playing at this level and the speed/scheme of the defense. Half way through and I am less skeptical.

always a different excuse. aka....basically the definition of being average. You think peyton manning complained when he lost the best LT in football? Tom Brady went to a divisional championship game after losing his top 8 targets and 2 of his starting oline. You cant use the excuse that tate is doing awesome but CJ is out so Stafford gets a pass. No....tate is putting up CJ numbers therefor there should be no excuses.

I give the lions credit for fully taking advantage of complete breakdowns by the saints and Atlanta. Stafford had a small part to play in those comebacks. Both games also relied heavily on the defense coming up with key gift interceptions and key gift calls from the refs. Atl game also had the miracle lions "fucked but unfucked itself" clock management debacle. granted Stafford then has to lead the team to points on the board....which he did.

Last edited:
Stafford will always have his critics, and I'm one of them. The defense carried this team through 8 games, can Stafford carry the team if the defense doesn't play great the next 8 games, or will he fuck the team over like he did down the stretch last year? All that matters is this year. We've got a division lead and if Stafford doesn't lead this team into the playoffs this year, then I'm not sure why the Lions would waste any more time on the him. This should be a now or never situation. It's pathetic that Stafford is still a question mark 6 years through his career.

Last edited:
I have been one of the biggest critics of Stafford but I also believe he deserves credit for improving a missing component in his game, he is leading them to victory. Sure, you can say the defense is winning the games but they are not driving the ball down field to steal games. His 3rd and 4th quarter splits have done a 360 this year and he deserves praise for that. Additionally, Calvin does more than catch the ball, he is a matchup nightmare and opens up the game for other players.

I have been one of the biggest critics of Stafford but I also believe he deserves credit for improving a missing component in his game, he is leading them to victory. Sure, you can say the defense is winning the games but they are not driving the ball down field to steal games. His 3rd and 4th quarter splits have done a 360 this year and he deserves praise for that. Additionally, Calvin does more than catch the ball, he is a matchup nightmare and opens up the game for other players.

Please don't call Calvin "matchup nightmare"...that is reserved for the true matchup nightmare....Eric Ebron!

LKP

Please don't call Calvin "matchup nightmare"...that is reserved for the true matchup nightmare....Eric Ebron!

LKP

Calvin only gets his cause eric ebron pulls coverage off him. Tate would be nothing without match up nightmare.

We've average more ppg without CJ than with him this year. That is strange

Back