Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Man, Bernie Sanders is so great

Kamala Harris was vetted by the Clinton camp, collected big checks from the banks, etc.

That is the most important fundamental distinction between Sanders and all other Democratic presidential candidates really, and one that's impossible to fake.

Harris can - and will - pay lip service to all the leftist causes while she's in the primary. And her current stances are all a lot different from her past actions and positions on these things.

Sanders positions on all these issues has remained consistent for decades, long before he ran for any federal office.

EDIT: and as far as differentiating himself from Warren, you could look at their records as elected officials. But he doesn't really need to; he just needs to run his own campaign. He's more popular than her, and also hasn't done any dumb things like the whole DNA test misstep.

BTW- I've read some summaries of her claim to be native American, and talk about a "nothingburger..." she never benefitted from it in any way, and she stopped doing it well before running for any office.

The DNA test thing was stupid, not only because it's offensive to Native Americans who actually live on reservations, but because DNA testing for ethnicity is incredibly vague and unscientific, based on averages of genetic groups that appear in geographic areas, and is only reasonably accurate for people purely of European descent since most of the generit test results have been compiled for white people (link).

But she has since apologized to the Cherokee, who are the only people who had reason to be offended by her comments, so everyone else should STFU about it.

Wow.

This is quite a well thought out wall of text to respond to a punchline.

BTW- I've read some summaries of her claim to be native American, and talk about a "nothingburger..." she never benefitted from it in any way, and she stopped doing it well before running for any office.

Not quite a nothingburger. If you buy her explanation, maybe she didn't do it for nefarious reasons, but she should be aware of the reasons to not do it. Kind of similar to using a racial slur in an innocent way and then claiming you didn't know any better.

And the DNA test - she has staffers now. How did nobody tell her that was a bad idea? It was dumb with regard to respecting the wishes of Native Americans and it was dumb politically.

Last edited:
Not quite a nothingburger. If you buy her explanation, maybe she didn't do it for nefarious reasons, but she should be aware of the reasons to not do it. Kind of similar to using a racial slur in an innocent way and then claiming you didn't know any better.

And the DNA test - she has staffers now. How did nobody tell her that was a bad idea? It was dumb with regard to respecting the wishes of Native Americans and it was dumb politically.

okay. it's not "nothing;" it's a gaffe. it's insensitive to actual Native Americans to claim that because of a small genetic connection (if that, in her case), you belong in some way to the shared cultural experiences of Native Americans.

But she apologized to them, so... if anything it's a small question of her judgment, not enough to outweigh the advantages she has in terms of policy over Harris, Klobuchar, and the rest of the corporate democrats. and I prefer Sanders to her anyway.

here's a write up I read summarizing her history, and why in this case it doesn't matter, which made sense to me.

Kamala Harris was vetted by the Clinton camp, collected big checks from the banks, etc.

That is the most important fundamental distinction between Sanders and all other Democratic presidential candidates really, and one that's impossible to fake.

Harris can - and will - pay lip service to all the leftist causes while she's in the primary. And her current stances are all a lot different from her past actions and positions on these things.

Sanders positions on all these issues has remained consistent for decades, long before he ran for any federal office.

EDIT: and as far as differentiating himself from Warren, you could look at their records as elected officials. But he doesn't really need to; he just needs to run his own campaign. He's more popular than her, and also hasn't done any dumb things like the whole DNA test misstep.

The DNA test thing was stupid, not only because it's offensive to Native Americans who actually live on reservations, but because DNA testing for ethnicity is incredibly vague and unscientific, based on averages of genetic groups that appear in geographic areas, and is only reasonably accurate for people purely of European descent since most of the generit test results have been compiled for white people (link).

But she has since apologized to the Cherokee, who are the only people who had reason to be offended by her comments, so everyone else should STFU about it.

First of all, it's definitely not clear that she never benefited from it. She claimed Native American heritage when applying for the Texas Bar - well before she worked at Penn or Harvard and where she claimed Native American heritage in her personal bios and both those schools promoted her as Native American to highlight the diversity of their staff. To say she didn't benefit from that and was strictly hired based on merit is simply na?ve. It's true it hasn't been proved because those institutions aren't dumb enough to come out and say they hired her because she was Native American. And to say she stopped claiming it before she ever ran for office is also dumb - probably the dumbest thing you've said here. Just a couple weeks ago, she released the results of a DNA test to prove she had Native American heritage - you do realize she happened to be an elected official when she did that, right?

So now you get to decide who gets to be offended and who doesn't? What if the people she lied to in order to advance her career weren't also leftist who wanted to also protect their own reputation and instead were pissed that she lied to them? Should they not be upset because they're not Cherokee? What about all her bootlickers in the media - what if they weren't leftists or if she was a Republican and it came out she lied to them, should they not be upset because they're not Cherokee. Maybe you should STFU and let people decide for themselves if they should be offended or pissed off.

Last edited:
...And none of this matters because Bernie Sanders is so great.

I think the entire issue is stupid. My father was adopted but he's always said he's of German and/or Dutch background and looks like it. A few months ago, as a sort of present and in his current state of health, he went through the Ancestry.com steps to find out his DNA/biological heritage.

If it turns out he's English/Belgian and part-Irish how much of a liar, hypocrite am I for telling people my background is German/Dutch??

I think the entire issue is stupid. My father was adopted but he's always said he's of German and/or Dutch background and looks like it. A few months ago, as a sort of present and in his current state of health, he went through the Ancestry.com steps to find out his DNA/biological heritage.

If it turns out he's English/Belgian and part-Irish how much of a liar, hypocrite am I for telling people my background is German/Dutch??

yeah, that's exactly the same thing as claiming membership in a recognized victim group in order to benefit from your status as a member of that group. It's really no different. Well, I guess it's a little different - rather than claiming status you effectively denied your status as an Irish American and thus benefited by denying the rest of the population the opportunity to discriminate against you for being part Irish.

Only if you live somewhere where's there's a reason to be aware of racial issues regarding English, Belgian, German, or Dutch people or if you might have seen a career benefit related to one of those nationalities.

Only if you live somewhere where's there's a reason to be aware of racial issues regarding English, Belgian, German, or Dutch people or if you might have seen a career benefit related to one of those nationalities.

well being fair-skinned and of Anglo/European heritage is a life benefit and has been for centuries in the US. For jobs, school admissions, general standard of living.

Last edited:
well by being fair-skinned and of Anglo/European heritage is a life benefit and has been for centuries in the US. For jobs, school admissions, general standard of living.

Claiming a dramatically different skin color will also get you some bad press. There was a lady in the news a couple a couple times over the last few years for identifying as a black woman when she was white.

here she is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Dolezal

Last edited:
Claiming a dramatically different skin color will also get you some bad press. There was a lady in the news a couple a couple times over the last few years for identifying as a black woman when she was white.

here she is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Dolezal

There is a Law and Order episode where a man who looks Caucasian but who is really of African American heritage is part of a trial and is asked what it's like to be presumed white although he's actually black.

it was gripping and ripped from those day's headlines!!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629180/

Storyline
Detectives Briscoe and Curtis investigate the death of Karen Burdett who jumped - or was pushed - out of her apartment window. They initially suspect suicide but the crime scene unit confirms she was thrown off the balcony. Her husband Josh dismisses suicide at first but then confirms that she may have been depressed over giving up their three week old daughter for adoption. He says they gave her up because he didn't want children, but when the police learn the baby is African-American, they begin looking for her boyfriend. The fact is that Josh Burdett is actually African American but has passed as white all of his life. Even his first wife - to whom he was married for 19 years - denies ever knowing he was black. ADA's McCoy and Ross soon realize they're on the wrong track and prosecute the person they are sure is responsible. Written by garykmcd

I just heard some conservative radio talkshow host discussing Bernie?s comments that should he be nominated he would probably choose a woman as his running mate, and the rat bastard stole my joke about Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren both being women and Indian.

Fucking cocksucker.

Son of a bitch probably comes on this board just to steal my jokes.

I just heard some conservative radio talkshow host discussing Bernie?s comments that should he be nominated he would probably choose a woman as his running mate, and the rat bastard stole my joke about Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren both being women and Indian.

Fucking cocksucker.

Son of a bitch probably comes on this board just to steal my jokes.

so this is how it is going forward. You can say what you want as long as you apologize to the only group that it is offensive towards. Once you do that, everyone else has to STUF about it?

That's retarded.

oops, sorry retarded people.

All better :tup:

so this is how it is going forward. You can say what you want as long as you apologize to the only group that it is offensive towards. Once you do that, everyone else has to STUF about it?

That's retarded.

oops, sorry retarded people.

All better :tup:

STUF?

Like stuff?

Like ?stuff it??

THAT?S retarded

Back